Ancient Spell: Detonate (Spell for the Skilled)

###Ancient Spell: Detonate

Intro

My second item idea, when for something a bit more original, i was gonna do another idea, but it was too complex, so i put it on the back burner…

So, i was looking at Ancient Spell: Pierce . And i noticed how it has a category for ancient spells, yet there was only one. So i made this for it.

Basics

thanks Piggby for the Sprites

###Projectile

Here

The projectile looks basically the same as the UT/ST. I couldn’t change it in the dps calculator…

###Description
Patience is said to be the key to success
or
Accumulates massive amounts of energy…until it explodes…

###Stats:

• Tier: UT. Doesn’t really matter
  • MP Cost: 80mp (same as T6 and ST)
  • Damage: 110 Dmg
  • Shots: 25

(total of 300 dmg more at 0 def)

The dps graph would look like this

image is just approximate, not actually to scale, just to get a sense

The green line is Ancient spell: Pierce and red is ele deto. Blue is mine. The two lines that are stuck together don’t mean anything.

• Range: 12
  • Projectile Speed: 22 (faster than the average spell)
  • Stat Bonus: +20 Hp, + 20Mp, + 2Atk, + 2Dex
  • Special properties:

Activates 3 seconds after use (has a small symbol indicating the spot that the spell was used on)
1 Second cooldown

• Fame Bonus: 5-6%. Doesn’t really matter
  • Feed Power: Doesn’t really matter

###Drops From (haven’t really thought much about it):

• Some Shatter’s boss or
  • titanium / Abandoned switch or
  • I dont really care that much
More info (why i did everything, and how to use)

###Pros

• Dragging onto the spell bomb (for lots of gods/strong gods eg. lod Dragons)
  • Enemies with predictable movements (eg. How lod bosses will return to the center)
  • Enemies that are invulnerable in that phase (Black Dragon, majority of bosses)
  • Can adjust the enemies so they are on top of the spell bomb (unlikely, but still possible to use it better than the normal spells)
    ###Cons
  • Harder to use
  • Hard to get the perfect spell-bomb
  • No immediate defense (ie. An enemy is rushing you, this won’t immediate defend you)

###Why 3 seconds till exploding?
3seconds seems like the perfect timing, any shorter you could not drag onto the spell well, also would be to easy to get the timing right for the deactivation of invulnerability phases. Any longer, that would be too difficult too use. Predicting the movement of something more than 3 seconds in the future seems like a difficult task.

###Why 1 second cooldown?
Well if you didn’t have this, you could easily stack several spell bombs on top of each other and deal massive amounts of damage, especially useful with bosses and their invulnerability phases.

Why the faster projectile speed?

Since its called Detonate, it stores up so much power, then it explodes, exploding is thought to be very fast. Also, b/c I wanted to have the enemies to be in approximately the same location from the moment it exploded. This rewards the players who manage to the monsters as close as possible to the explosion point

###Reason for the damage/Number of shots
The spell has an advantage on bosses b/c of its nature (putting in predicted spots, as well as when waiting for the boss to become vulnerable).

Thus, I decided to reward people who used it against people of lower def. I wanted this spell to be a spell used for a certain situation, hence why it’s a ut. But, not one of those items that are “used for bosses, but never for minions). I wanted people who were willing to learn how to use this to be rewarded, hence it’s a spell for more skilled users. But it can also be used for people who think of them as less skill-full (acting as a landmine, which allows more distance between you and the enemies).

###Reason for the Lowered Range
Truth is, the range is not that important. But this spell to be more skillful/precise, thus the shorter range.

###Reason for the Mp cost
It has the same mp cost as the other two main spells (st and t6). Didn’t want to complicate things too much for the wearer by incorporating too much.

###Reasons for the stat buffs:
Since this spell has a big advantage for bosses who have an invulnable phase, i could not boost the damage to reward the people who wanted to use it anywhere else. The only solution was to boost the stats, b/c with the invulnerable thing, the user would be switching the spell, thus not benefiting from the stats fully.

Reason for the hp and mp boost, when you switch spells, the boost is gone and when its re-equipped, it needs to charge back. So that discourages switching spells, to make it not as advantageous for invulnerable enemies. Kinda like a “spell loyalty”.

Reason for the Dex and Atk boost, pretty much the same reason as before, if you dont switch during the invulnerable phase, you get a small dps boost. Also for immediate defence, when a monster is charging at you, you can kill it fast b/c your spell isn’t that useful.

###Some Problems
The only problem i see with this is, for invulnable enemies (often bosses with good loot) can be hit be one/two times of this along with the normal spell (when swap). This would be most evident for those enemies that have extremely long invulnable phases, and abnormally short vulnerable phases. Of course, you have to remember the expert timing and aim that is required for this.

Conclusion

So what you liked, didn’t like, constructive criticism. I had this idea thought out for like a few weeks, just was too lazy to write it down and get the stats.

Also my name/description are also a bit iffy…
Seems like the longest thing i have ever written

Easier Item Movement Between Inventory and Vault

nice however this would be extremely hard to get perfect bombs and deal as much damage as a traditional spell due to the precise timing required maybe buff damage a lot because it wouldnt be able to accomplish too much more than ele det other than get safe drags, should be more rewarding to skillfull players.

I love this idea.

i thought about that. But the problem i had was mainly for invulnability phases, the potential to get off another spellbomb in some small time windows, such as ice tomb chests, O2, some event bosses,etc.)

Would also be great for phase 2 of the new pent, where it goes invulnable, this allows you to shot and move on the the next one, allowing you to be one step ahead of everyone else .

For normal use, it does have a slight disadvantage, and first i wanted this spell to be able to be used in all scenarios if you were skilled with it. However, it wouldn’t be effected too much if it was used as a swap-out, which is technically what a ut is suppose to be.

Maybe if the blue line was a bit higher at the beginning it would be better?

First of all I wanna say that I love the idea of a time-delay spell as a primary wizard player. But, as of now, I think the cons really outweigh the pros at this point. Because of how close the damage curve is to eledet, the only difference between the two is the invulnerability-proofness (Which is cool af btw). I think that, because of the difficulty of use, damage should be upped in general. I don’t think I could justify using it as a swapout just for use against bosses if the added skill doesn’t help in basic use.

Alrighty.

Well, I don’t know which paticular color you fancy, so I made you a handful of variations.

(I’m so sorry for anyone with OCD)

Ancient Spell: Flood

oh, yes, i agree, i just upped the dmg a bit, i prefer having the spell being a bit underpower and useful for certain situations than a spell that is insanely op, b/c of that, im being cautious with my buffs.

Fck.
They are all too good… i cant decide…

i think imma go blue? we already got a red one. White seems a bit off? Orange and purple i feel doesnt fit as much?

Choose whichever one suits you. :ok_hand:

Right, but just a little bit more dmg constantly would make it a pretty quality swapout, esp with pierce being kinda OP already

hmm, ill think about it

rather not make another OP spell :stuck_out_tongue:

@rravenclaw and @Proasdfase how do you think of the stat change?

i added +2dex +2 atk +20hp + 20mp

also made it neater to read b/c its so god-damn long

yes I like the buff

A delayed spell is such an interesting idea, I’m not sure about practicality but but it sounds good.

The stats actually look very nice for wizard.

Why not something like pet rising fury, just a small particle thing,

Checking this amazing graph you provided against pffiffle I see that chests fall into the range where it beats other spells, so it does have some use, as do some other things that stay pretty still, so with some timing it could be of use.

that doesnt really affect anything. Chests are super easy to get loot (except like the ice tombs one)

also i feel it has lots of practical use, from invulnable bosses, to dragging, you could use this spell as a replacement spell if you got skilled at it and just used it for normal godland farming. [quote=“Curlip, post:14, topic:3917”]
, as do some other things that stay pretty still,
[/quote]

lots of monster have predictable movements, so you can get a spellbomb off nicel.y [quote=“Curlip, post:14, topic:3917”]
Why not something like pet rising fury, just a small particle thing,
[/quote]

something like that.

First off, I love the idea. By definition, bullet hell games, Rotmg particularly, are intended to greatly reward those that learn how to play the game at a high skill cap. As basically a wizard 1trick, I can confidently say that learning to land your spell perfectly as much as possible is indubitably a must if you want to play the class anywhere outside of god lands.

Naturally, it follows that this is the next level of skill. I’m all for it.

I think you are right. You want to look at the risk versus reward. Not only am I risking carrying/losing an additional UT that may be hard to obtain, but I am also using an additional inventory slot/potential loot slot. For these reasons, the reward for using the spell, aka the damage, needs to be high from the start. On top of this, the spell is extremely difficult to use. That also means that the reward needs to be high enough that I want to learn how to use the spell. Basically, the damage needs to be raised.

How much? To be honest, I think that the main focus should be hitting high defense enemies. I would actually like to see somewhat of a reflected curve, with the damage going up with armor, or at least rivaling pierce. Otherwise, it just seems like I would want to take pierce anyway, since if I know when the boss is going invulnerable, Pierce does more damage, and is easier to use. Pierce also boasts solid stats.

3 seconds is a VERY long time. I hate to bring in other games, but in League of Legends, a certain spell will bind you in place so you can’t move for 3 seconds. There are numerous memes relating getting hit by the spell to simply going afk, because you are going to be useless for the majority of the fight. Granted this is a different game, but I still believe that 3 seconds is rather long. I think 2 would give sufficient time to drag, it would just require more coordination (read: skill).

I think an alternate route would be to think about reducing the radius at which the bomb explodes. That way it is really about hitting the mark, rather than trying to cover a large distance in shorter amount of time. This would also reduce its use as an OP spell that can be used on everything, and possibly allow for higher damage than pierce.

oh, would love to comment right now, but got to go, ill prob comment tomorrow :slight_smile:

do you still think so? i actually buffed the dmg a bit after it was released, also added the current stats. When i was brainstorming the idea, i was thinking of it as only being good for drags. However, when i started writing things down, i realized that it would be very powerful for the invulnable phases of enemies (shoot spell and then switched to normal, getting 2 spells off). Hence why my second buff was a stat buff, so that it wouldnt be as useful for those situations, also have more projectiles, to make it less effective to bosses.

but then getting off two strong spell bombs on the boss seems to be quite strong. Remember this is meant to be used as a swapout during these situations. I didnt want a spell that just replaced the others, but one that was used for more of a niche.[quote=“IAmShurima, post:16, topic:3917”]
3 seconds is a VERY long time
[/quote]

truth is, i didnt actually go in game and test seconds, i just did a visial representation of it. I see your point. I’ll think about it more.

remember, this is a swapout, also pierce does not fare that well vs. low def monsters.[quote=“IAmShurima, post:16, topic:3917”]
reducing the radius at which the bomb explodes.
[/quote]

like how much are you talking about? I actually decreased it by 4 compared to regular spells, but i also wanted people who considered themselves “un-skilled” to still be able to use it (somewhat).

#Also, Welcome to the forums! Were glad to have you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Suggested Drop Spot: Shades of the Avatar (ULTRA rare drop), Forgotten King (Rare drop)

truth is, i actually wanted this to be a more common white bag.

the reason for this is, its not like jugg, where its better like 95% of the time. It takes a lot of skill to use, so i want people have plenty of opportunity to use it. Also, RNG wont reward you as nicely if you get this and don’t know how to use it at all (and end up dying with it).

The kinda of feel for bone dagger. Common, but takes skill to use (or just for petty minions, which is what it gets used for…)