5 Things Deca Could Easily Do To Fix This Game

There’s been a lot of camplaining about RotMG, with the Unity Port coming up i’m pretty excited for tons of new features and possibly better gameplay, less hacking and spambots. This is a short list of things I believe would make the game better until then.

1: Add an African Server

I myself live there, with internet standards low as ever. I’ve got some friends RotMGing down South in Cape Town, and we all have the same problems. We can’t be the only realmers in this continent, and I don’t understand why Deca chose to ignore this huge area. Not everyone here lives in a village.

2: Add a Remove Player Option

I struggle to do Lost Halls, and I really want one of those hot white bags. I have 2 different computers that I play on, one is at home, and is a Lenovo Thinkpad (:sweat_smile:), actually works out pretty good (complete with a landline cable). The other one is at my local library (I use this one when experiencing issues, or when my internet is really acting up) I also have a computer for work, but that one is not to be realmed on. The problem with these is that when im doing Lost Halls or chilling in Uss, my game tends to freeze when there are more than around 55 people in the dungeon, which is exceptionaly rare in Pub Halls.

A remove player option would wipe out this issue for those of us with more humble laptops.

3: Upgraded servers

Month of the Mag God 2018 was one of the best I’ve ever encountered, and not just because of awesome events, tokens and the new Mad God Mayhem dungeon, but because it was a time where I experienced the least lag ever playing RotMG. And that was with 80 people in a dungeon on average. This was because Deca enforced their servers during Month of the Mad God, to make the game more playable with the highest ever player count.
I know that the Unity Port will (hopefully) fix lag, but we still have a whole year ahead of us until it arrives.
(I’m actually not sure how I will access the game then, will it be online, steam only, or an application?)

4: Less events

I simply can’t stress this enough, weekly events are a huge no-no. Whitebags and Sts that i’ve run over 300 parasite chambers for are dropped for players in less than a day. Event whites do not belong in event chests. Even though I proffited tremendously from the ogmur in Ice Cave event, I’m still very biased against this idea.
I suggest stretching weekly events, to every two weeks, or something like that.
And if Deca still want weekly events, make them Godlands dungeons and Wine Cellar only.

5: Nerf Pets, Remove Divine, or make them obtainable only with fame

My favorite quote in the forums about pets is

Seeing a Divine pet was like seeing Jesus Christ himself descend from heaven

Now I see at least 5 everyday. People are just buying these broken things that make their Knights, Paladins and Warriors unkillable. I suggest either nerfing them, removing divine, making them only obtainable with fame or by unlocking divine pets with the Yellow Star rank. In my blue star days I used to farm dungeons a lot with this guy. He bought a divine pet and started relying on it a bit too much. Now he’s really struggling because he can’t really play the game anymore and is close to quitting.

Thanks for reading, and tell me what you think please. Please note that these are really biased and just my opinion, and might not be the same as yours. Also feel free to add your own suggestions in the comments, and I will add them to this post. Then we could have a big list of what everyone would like to see in the game now, and on Unity.

I wasn’t sure to put this is the #game-discussion or in #ideas section, so it sits here for now. I will put every suggestion regarding this topic in the post. Hopefully Deca sees this and could possibly add one to the game :crossed_fingers:
I really hope to see this game go big again, and I think that fixing lag is the first step in the right direction.

Remove weekend events ?! No. I agree it’s a bit overpowered but when you are a bored 8/8 with almost every whites… Imagine RotMG without events.

Yeah nerf pets, I only have a rare humanoïd pet with Heal and MHeal, and I’m happy :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree on lessening the events. I got burnt out by the events…

I quite like the idea of DECA reaching out to developing markets as not many other developers are doing that. The main problem is that Africa’s internet market is primarily mobile based and not pc. Making is unlikely its a good invesment for DECA.

DECA promised us that the Unity port will drasticly improve preformance, so they are working on that. Many other threads have proposed this idea but DECA never said anything about it.

Like you said, Unity should heavily improve preformance. DECA has stated that Flash is the biggest thing dragging RotMG back in terms of preformance. Also, investing in server upgrades (which can be quite expensive) just for the period before Unity lauch makes no sense financially if after Unity’s launch preformance is going to be better anyways.

I agree that weekly events are oversaturating. DECA staff is mostly focused on Unity right now and moving alot of features that were planned for Flash over to be developed on the port. These events could just be a way for DECA to keep the playerbase interested and keep money flowing while not having much planned for this year. Also, another player getting an item that you really want is just how RNG works, sorry.

On the topic of Event whites: I think farming for event whites is just as boring and skill-less as an event chest. When was the last time you a high level character die to a LotLL? And even when there is an event white in a chest it usually has such a rare drop rate its barely noticable. And if you do get it then congrats, you will put it in your vault for a year and then die to something stupid and lose it forever.

Pets were horribly implemented by Kabam and only to make money, thats why the higher levels are practially impossible to reach without paying hundreds. I really think DECA should rework pets to where it adds to the game instead of just making is easier, problem is! People spent hundreds possibly event thousands on getting these high level pets. Removing them or nerfing them would seriously piss these people off even if thery dont want to admit that. F2P games rely on whales like these to stay afloat and angering them could have a heavy negative affect on the game financially. So DECA tends to avoid talking about it altogether, sadly.

Nerfing pets won’t help with his struggle.

Agree with every last bit of this, but the fame thing would need to wait for the fame rework imo. every other idea here is spot on what I would want to see! Good ideas! :slight_smile:

Thanks! <3

You’ve just about answered every question I was going to ask. Thank you for your time.

Well, here’s my two cents -

That’s a very good idea, I agree with this. Once the Unity port is out of the way, I assume they will be working on expanding the game everywhere.

Like Laurencher said, Unity will improve the situation. I know you have the best of intentions… But my biggest fear for an idea like this being implemented is, well, Realm is a co-op game. There’s this communal feeling you get when you see dozens of players all running around and trying for that sweet, sweet loot, all working together.

Not to mention, Deca won’t implement this as an option because skins exist and they are a source of income. If you couldn’t show off your new, shiny skins, why buy them?

Unity

Fair point. I haven’t been immune to the constant events, they are wearing everyone down. However I do recognize Deca is basically stalling at this point for Unity. And let’s be fair here, they could pull a Kabam and disappear entirely. I think it’s a good sign that they are making efforts to listen to their community and stay active in it.

Won’t happen. Deca needs them $$$'s

Overall impression of your points? All good ideals, good intentions, but won’t really work out. Except for an African server because that really should happen.

I too experience lag increase when there are too many players meeting in a dungeon at the same spot (Oryx 1 is my main struggle, where everyone comes together and the chest needs to be destroyed; insta freeze, most of the times, so i simply nexus most of the times when a realm is closed and starts trembling).

BUT…
How will a “remove player” option work?
Will you checkmark some option to cut out on the lower levelled players (so they never will be able to experience the harder dungeons as they will most likely be always removed??), checkmark to remove all the 8/8 players (so the lower levelled players get a (better, but still small) chance at getting white bags??) or have some random selection for removing players?

Will it not simply be easier for DECA to put limits on how many players may enter a certain dungeon (although i don’t think this will be fair to players that have more problems with “quick clicking” than others), or even better yet: to have dungeons split into a multitude of dungeons at the same time (for instance: up to 30 players will all join into 1 dungeon, from 31 up to 60 will be split into 2 dungeons, etcetera)?

By “remove player” i think they mean graphically, not that you can vote a player to be kicked from a dungeon. Hence, it wont really affect gameplay apart from people being really uncoordinated, and a chance at less lag.

@Croidone @Gidey a remove player option would just removed non locked or non guild members from the screen for the time that it is enabled, like in Ro :b: F, this doesnt really have to do with lag, but with your computer constantly freezing.

I think making the game unplayable at certain points is a bigger problem than slightly less income

I hardly think having other players being shown makes the game unplayable. I mean, laggy, sure, but unplayable?

And don’t forget, Unity is on the horizon!

lets say 120 players at once crowding your character making it impossible to tell where the bullets are

But, wherever you are that has 120 people packed into one small spot, remember that’s not the whole game! The exception doesn’t make the rule. Yes, lag and frozen screens are annoying, and yes, a death that wasn’t your fault is tragic, but let’s be fair here. The entire game isn’t unplayable.

And again… Unity will solve this. That’s the hope at least

lol? DECA has practically handed out divines to anyone who has played consistently. I have never spent money on my pet, and recently got the first ability maxed. In my eyes, if you have been playing consistently for the past ~6 months, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have a divine if you put the time and effort into getting one.

@Niegil

genius idea to piss off the realm community

just add more pet stasis :thinking:

I’m a bored 8/8 with a hell load of whites. RotMG with events ruined a lot of the game with me. People no longer actually go into the realm because they’re instead farming constant events. Realm is supposed to be a game about team work, not about soloing everything because everybody else is either running halls or another stupid event…