Aegis of Soteria (New UT Shield)

###Aegis of Soteria

A mythical shield that grants the user a unique form of protection that even Oryx himself finds to be imposing.

####Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • MP Cost: 150
  • Duration: 4.7s
  • Cooldown: 5s
  • Range: 2
  • Effect: Creates a temporary, tangible shield that protects the user from projectiles.
  • Stat Bonus: +17 DEF, -7 SPD, +7 WIS, +7 VIT
  • Special properties: Spawns a 4 tile wide, 450 health shield that protects the players and the caster from any incoming projectiles (possibly excluding a few, dunno). All friendly projectiles that are fired through the shield lose 27% damage.
  • Wisdom Modifier: Every 7 Wisdom over 50 gives your spawned shield an additional 75 health. Every 14 Wisdom gives your spawned shield an additional 2 tile width.
  • Fame Bonus: 4%
  • Feed Power: 1200

####Drops From:

• Lost Sentry (???)

####More info
I felt like making an item and thought this would be a good idea :d A few things can change, obviously. I don’t have a sprite for the shield that would be spawned but that can be worked out.

Hmm, debatable.

What happens if 6 people have this and put these all in a line? Does the shot that goes through do like no damage at all?

Nope. The effect doesn’t stack, that’d be like armour break stacking xd

Pretty cool :smiley: This reminds me of the sentry turret’s shield ability from Borderlands 2.

Thanks for the feedback <3 This is my first time doing RotMG sprite work so it looks a bit off, maybe I could use some inspiration from Borderlands :b

The sprite is okay, I don’t really care for sprites lol. I’d say just shade it a bit more :watermelon:

Interesting take on an Idea I have tried to explore as a class in my early RE days. Personally, I find the Def boost to be overkill, and the protection to scale badly with game content. It almost immediately breaks on Oryx’s attack, it doesn’t stop piercing. 450 is enough for about 4 bullets nowadays. 4 tiles wide means it’ll pop very quickly on some, or trivialize on the ones it happen to live. If you’re interested in a similar discussion, here you go

The point of this ability isn’t to completely protect players from shotguns or fatal bursts but rather to be used tactically i.e protecting players from quiet/weak/etc. This was more meant to be a swapout utility rather than an iron curtain that you could rely on to be useful at all times.

The reason the defense is higher than normal is almost an aesthetic touch as the defense of that caliber will more than likely be useless; it matches the “Aegis” theme of the item. The -7 speed reduces maneuverability in such a way the defense boost would be a pseudo-counter if used correctly. I plan on creating some more items based around the concept of the Knight being a group biased situational support rather than a ‘lone wolf’ support.

Well, as a reference, I used the might Marble Collosuss
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/marble-colossus

Attacks range from 80 up to a whoopin’ 300. How do defenses apply here?

Well, it can be used to counterbalance resu’s reduced defense, and giving the knight even more viability with a ring. Granted, said flexibility would only be achievable by using this ability, but 17 is just plain overkill. -7 speed is quite detrimental to the already slow knight, I’ll agree with that.

Yes please. Though, personally I believe this to be a dungeon design problem. Just like how tanking helps a lot when dealing with Mt. Temple’s quiet statues, or the Shatter’s Unstabling Ice Archmages.

shield making defences shields is no new idea xD

What?

That may be so, but that doesn’t mean you can’t implement that mechanic into your idea.

Think about what it would do during Woodland Labyrinth. A stacked shot would obliterate the shield in seconds. The nest: wouldn’t last a second. Avatar: just no. Medusa could shred this shield. This shield might be useful for earlier dungeons like snake pit, spider den, and the hive, but for harder dungeons like cultist hideout, lost halls, wine cellar, shatters blah blah blah, this shield is not worth it. Change the hp of the shield. You say that this shield is used to protect from status effects? The higher level dungeons effect status AND do damage, so this would still be useless. Maybe add it so it could bounce back projectiles, while still taking the damage. And DEFINITELY improve the hp.

This shield isn’t meant to completely protect you from shotguns - that would be ridiculous. There are many instances where this shield would be practical without having an insane amount of health i.e. O2 quiet/weaken phase, shielding paralyzed players to give them enough time to escape, etc… people will get creative. And I doubt RotMG’s XML is in the state where projectiles could be smoothly bounced off a player-spawned entity.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.