Angel Class ~ New Weapon, Ability and Status Effect

Welcome to my first class idea!

Game Description: The angel fights with a spear and uses his cross to bless himself and his allies.

Class Requirements: Level 20 with Paladin; Level 20 with Ninja.

Sound when hit
Sound when killed

png-rendered-20201120-191241

Equipment slots and starting gear

png%20(2)Spear: Steel Spear

png%20(2)Cross: Old Cross

Heavy ArmorHeavy Armor: None

RingsRing: None

Stats

Initial Stats
Gain Per Level
Average at 20
Base Stat Cap
Hit Points
20 to 30
Magic Points
2 to 8
Attack
0 to 2
Defense
Speed
1 to 2
Dexterity
1 to 2
Vitality
1 to 2
Wisdom
0 to 2

test3

No, he’s not Finn from Adventure Time.

To make up for the fact that his defense is basically the same as Leather armor classes, his health is less than dagger classes and his speed is also below dagger classes, he has a bit more range with a spear and he uses a cross to reduce incoming damage to his advantage, letting him get closer whenever he can buff himself without as many risk as without it.

I’ll go more into detail but first…

Let’s address the Spear.

The Spear is a new weapon that has a range inbetween daggers and bows and ignores armor.
I took inspiration from the Valkyrie Class that was in testing a year ago as seen here. But added my own twist to it because it felt a little bland as said by many and didn’t offer anything new.

It ignores armor (as spears were many times used to pierce through armor (not actually to pierce armor (as armor was not easy to make a hole into) but instead was effective against armored foes by attacking where there are holes (armpits, groin, elbows, etc))) and it has a fast projectile speed, making it easier to hit moving targets in game.

Spear: (T12)

Tier 12
Shots 1
Damage 120–170 (average: 145)
Projectile Speed 31.5 tiles/second
Lifetime 0.2 seconds
Range 6.3 tiles
Effect(s) Armor Piercing Ignores defense of target
XP Bonus 4%
Feed Power 450

Here’s a graph showing the Spear’s DPS compared to others:
All stats were set to the same value for the weapons’ DPS to compare correctly.

Here’s a graph showing all the classes’ DPS compared to Angel:

Here are all the tiered spears:

png-rendered-20201121-102719 - T0 - Steel Spear - Dmg: 30-45 (37.5)
png-rendered-20201121-102723 - T1 - Bronze Spear - Dmg: 30-50 (40)
png-rendered-20201121-102727 - T2 - Silver Spear - Dmg: 35-55 (45)
png-rendered-20201121-102731 - T3 - Jade-tipped Spear - Dmg: 45-60 (52.5)
png-rendered-20201121-102734 - T4 - Rosesteel Spear - Dmg: 50-70 (60)
png-rendered-20201121-102738 - T5 - Coldsteel Spear - Dmg: 55-80 (67.5)
png-rendered-20201121-102742 - T6 - Nightsky Spear - Dmg: 65-95 (80)
png-rendered-20201121-102747 - T7 - Spear of Fear - Dmg: 75-110 (92.5)
png-rendered-20201121-102750 - T8 - Spear of Dark Auras - Dmg: 90-125 (107.5)
png-rendered-20201121-102754 - T9 - Spear of Overflowing Rage - Dmg: 100-135 (117.5)
png-rendered-20201121-102758- T10 - Spear of Relentless Power - Dmg: 105-145 (125)
png-rendered-20201121-104633 - T11 - Spear of Piercing Acts - Dmg: 110-160 (135)
png-rendered-20201121-104640 - T12 - Spear of Justice - Dmg: 120-170 (145)
png-rendered-20201121-104647 - T13 - Spear of Blinding Light - Dmg: 130-190 (160)
png-rendered-20201121-104652 - T14 - Spear of the Living Nightmare - Dmg: 140-210 (175)

Racking Perforator (Agents of Oryx)

png-rendered-20201121-130112 png-rendered-20201121-162735

A scaringly sharp spear that has been crafted using the same technique as the rest of Oryx’s brutish combat apparel. Its a bit heavy but if one manages to strike correctly, it can decimate a foe in instants.

Tier UT (Limited)
Shots 1
Damage 190–210 (average: 200)
Projectile Speed 2.5 tiles/second
Lifetime 2 seconds
Range 5 tiles
Effect(s) Armor Piercing Ignores defense of target
Rate of Fire 85%
XP Bonus 5%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 600

Now it’s time for the Ability: The Cross.

Tiered Crosses apply a new status effect called Blessed.

Icon: blessed-status2

Blessed reduces damage taken by 20% and is the counterpart of Curse, meaning that if you get affected by Curse while Blessed, Curse will negate the effect, taking priority.

Like Curse, Blessed has effect on Armor Piercing shots and is calculated after defense and defense modifiers.

Tiered crosses offer a passive MP boost to help with the mana consumption on use.
The range is not big like Paladin’s or Warrior’s so it isn’t as easy to buff everyone.
Given this class’ max wis cap at 55, the range only increases to 5 at max WIS, without any other wis-boosting equipment.

Cross Wismod:

Triggers above 40 WIS.
+0.1 range for every 1 WIS.
+1 second for every 10 WIS.

Old Cross

t0cross

A worn out, moldy cross that blesses allies.

Tier 0
MP Cost 70
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 2 seconds
imageVIT boost (+2 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 2 seconds

Feed Power 5

Wooden Cross

t1cross

A simple, wooden cross used to bless allies.

Tier 1
MP Cost 80
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 2.5 seconds
imageVIT boost (+4 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 2.5 seconds

On Equip +10 MP
Feed Power 10

Silver Cross

t2cross

A polished silver cross. It is said to be highly effective
against a load of supernatural beings.

Tier 2
MP Cost 90
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 3 seconds
imageVIT boost (+6 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 3 seconds

On Equip +20 MP
Feed Power 20

Gold Cross

t3cross

A refined gold cross to keep evil at bay.

Tier 3
MP Cost 100
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 3.5 seconds
imageVIT boost (+8 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 3.5 seconds

On Equip +30 MP
Feed Power 45

Emerald Cross

t4cross

A shiny cross made of emerald. Holding it fills you with
determination.

Tier 4
MP Cost 110
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 4 seconds
imageVIT boost (+10 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 4 seconds

On Equip +40 MP
Feed Power 90

Cross of the Heavens

t5cross

A cross received from the heavens. Looking at it resembles
the sky.

Tier 5
MP Cost 120
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 4.5 seconds
imageVIT boost (+12 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 4.5 seconds

On Equip +50 MP
Feed Power 185

Blazing Passion Cross

t6cross

Forged with an immense passion for what it was made
for, this cross overflows with potent positive energy. Being
around it is already enough to feel its effects.

Tier 6
MP Cost 130
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 5 seconds
imageVIT boost (+14 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 5 seconds

On Equip +80 MP, +20 HP
Feed Power 380

Heavenstone Cross

t7cross

A cross made from polished Heavenstone, a gemstone said
to be only found within the realms of Heaven. Only those of
pure heart can touch it without suffering immense pain.

Tier 7
MP Cost 140
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 5.5 seconds
imageVIT boost (+16 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 5.5 seconds

On Equip +110 MP, +40 HP
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 570

Godly Grace Cross

t8cross

A superb medal of honor only awarded to supreme angels
who excel in their duties. Having it is not only the utmost
pride an angel can get but also a way to keep themselves
and the ones around them permanently warded by God’s
grace.

Tier 8
MP Cost 150
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 6 seconds
imageVIT boost (+18 VIT) within 3.5 sqrs for 6 seconds

On Equip +140 MP, +60 HP
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 855

Lucifer’s Insignia

png-rendered-20201121-205157

An insignia left behind by the most powerful angel who was doomed for putting himself first. The users of this infernal symbol are granted powers beyond belief at the cost of themselves being affected by the same exact curse.

Tier UT
MP Cost 150
Effect(s)

Party Effect: blessed-status2 Blessed within 3.5 sqrs for 4 seconds
On self: imageCurse, imageSpeedy, imageDamaging and imageBerserk for 4 seconds

On Equip +5 ATT, +5 DEF
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 950
  • Event White

Crucifix of Cruelty (Agents of Oryx)

AOOcross%20(2) (this sprite took me 4 hours to make)
png-rendered-20201122-142054 Aurum’s gorgeous (and much better) take on it.

An upside down cross given to fallen angels who have decided to join Oryx on his evil endeavours. Just like its appearance its powers have been inverted as well, cursing those around them, rather than blessing.

Tier UT (Limited)
MP Cost 100
Effect(s)

On Enemy: imageCurse within 5 sqrs for 3 seconds

On self: image ATT boost (+10 ATT), image DEX boost (+10 DEX) for 3 seconds

Demonic Possession: On taking damage below 80% HP: Fire a stream of 20 shotguns of 5 shots aimed at your cursor, each shot dealing 100 Armor Piercing Damage
Cooldown: 10 seconds

On Equip +5 SPD, +5 DEF
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 700
WisMod No

Note:
The proc ability shots are unaffected by your dex/att stats and fire simultaneously with your weapon shots if activated

Proc ability Info (Omitted from the ability):

Arc Gap: 10
Proj. Speed: 200
Proj. Lifetime: 250
Fire Rate: 10 Attacks/s (same as 75 DEX + Berserk)
Range: 5
True Range: 1.37

Footage of the Proc ability in action:

• The video wrongly shows 150 damage per shot but that’s probably due to the ATT stat.
    It’s supposed to be 100.
  • I was holding down the mouse button the entire time. The pauses you see after a burst ends mean that the proc ability ended, so only 1 of those continuous bursts is the actual proc ability.

Road Cross (Mistake Gear)

png-rendered-20201122-111305

Now you can finally help the chicken cross the road!

Tier UT
MP Cost 50
Effect(s)

Spawns a chicken that walks 5 tiles in the direction
you were going in 3 seconds

On Equip -10 SPD
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 500
WisMod No

This class will use heavy armor but with the 20 def cap on it, it stays at 44 def with an acrop, which is about the same defense as a leather class with a hydra (42 def), so what’s the point? Why not just give it leather armor and boost the def cap to 25?

Well there are 2 main reasons why I need it to wear heavy armor and not leather armor.

Number 1:

I don’t want this class to have its DPS boosted passively by using the best Defense equipment. If you want to boost this class’ DPS, you either wear lower Defense stuff that offers more dps, such as Mercy’s Bane, which paired with this class’ already low DEF is really risky to use at 6.3 Range or you don’t go for them at all and instead use more defensive stuff to greatly improve your survivability such as tiered ones, which in turn offer no DPS boost.
Even with Gladiator’s Guard you’ll have to give up 4 Defense compared to T13 which already puts you at the same defense as a robe class with T14 Robe / Soulless (not saying it ain’t worth the boost in DPS and SPD tho).

Number 2:

I want this class to have access to the arsenal of heavy armors, which include but are not limited to:

Tiered - Offering Defense;
Fungal Breastplate - Offering Vitality and HP;
Resurrected Warrior’s Armor - Offering MP and WIS;
Candy Coated - Offering a lot more Defense (although it’s almost completely beaten by T15);
Zaarvox’s Heart - Speed;
… - and so on.

The main takeaway that I have in mind when using this class is hampering the damage you receive with your ability to let you deal more consistent DPS and help your allies.

The DPS of this class might not be much (especially at lower DEF, which applies to most enemies) but with the ability it’s supposed to make you stay closer to enemies while buffed and with the 6.3 range and fast projectiles, deal consistent damage so that the mediocre DPS actually ends up being a lot more since you’ll be hitting a lot more shots and missing less compared to others.

Its 700 HP is the same as Bow & Leather classes (Archer & Huntress) as it has a safer range than other middle range classes.
Also makes a nice pattern of wand & staff (farthest classes) = 670; bow & spear (mid-far) = 700; dagger & katana (mid-close) = 720; and sword (& mace, haha just kidding… UNLESS?? (for real tho, just kidding)) (closest classes) = 770.

(Yes I know, Bard technically has staff/wand HP but due to his ability, his range is about the same as robe classes)

Due to the aforementioned reasons it also has a high Vitality (makes it able to stay in combat for longer without having to back out as often (thus missing out on damage)). The Vit granted from Tiered crosses on Self (and group) aids in this too.

The speed makes it able to be swift but not as swift as dagger classes due to, again, the added range.

The lower wisdom balances out spammability of this ability and at the same time gives it room to be better, if one wishes to focus on WIS based sets. Tiered crosses also have their own malus and bonus to even them out: High MP cost but MP on equip.

The lower range on the ability goes well with the fact that the status effect is a powerful one. Not game-breaking by any means, but powerful in its own regard. Also encourages WIS sets to be used, boosting range and time, and providing more assistance to the team in exchange for sacrificing some survivability, which requires you do be more skilled if you wish to benefit the whole group and be as productive in terms of DPS.

Att and Dex have a fine balance of DPS, which is an important reason why I need it to not be passively boosted by the best defense armor. Trading survivability for DPS touches again on the same thing as trading group assistance for survivability, that being that you have to be more skilled to boost this class in those areas or you’ll have a hard time being in range to deal damage making it counterproductive and actually do about the same or even less DPS than just using the best defensive stuff and staying in range most of the time.

A special thanks to everyone who gave me tips and helped me improve the sprites on the RotMG official discord! While the current ones might not be anything exceptionally great, they are a definite improvement from what I had first presented.

this looks so good, but i dont think they would add another weapon, and would probably use a dagger or sword, but i want this in the game

I don’t know if you checked the link to the Valkyrie video, but Valkyrie was in testing and it had a new weapon so I think that already shows that they have at least at some point considered putting a new weapon type in the game :wink:

I actually really like this concept, I think the concept of blessed and cursed counteracting it works well as a support ability and the armor pierce on spears makes them unique without being broken

it kinda chonky like april fools killer bee queen

Don’t think the ability would work. I mean mechanically yes it’s pretty straightforward. But by reducing group damage by 25% it would be very unbalancing.

How much damage you take from enemies is one of the key elements of the game, which determines the difficulty and challenge of areas. This has always been the case, though it is even more so since Vital Combat with it’s def-based trigger to enter In Combat was introduced.

Reducing the damge you take by 25% would throw this off the balance. Significantly I think, undoing the work that’s been done recently balancing content. And fixing it, by by e.g. increasing the damage done by enemies, would then make the game far harder for groups lacking an Angel or some other way to accerss the Bless ability.

So basically another thing to make the game impossible to balance.

I do get where you’re getting at, but where IC matters, Blessed doesn’t have THAT much effect, it of course changes a bit but nowhere near being broken.
Where IC actually matters (endgame content, cuz earlier game, especially with Knight, stuff hardly puts you IC) it doesn’t really affect it that much.

Let’s take Armor Piercing examples first of all. Only the more biffier classes like Knight would be able to not be put IC even with dmg reduction. Most of the AP shots in these dungeon do around 100 dmg anyway and even with a 25% reduction thats 75, which is way above any character’s ability to not be put in Combat.

Knight has 49 Trigger Damage at 82 DEF.

The only shots it would affect in terms of IC/OOC would be sub-100 damage (after DEF calculations) with a knight, and with other classes, even sub-100 (after DEF calculations) with a 25% reduction would still be able to put you easily IC.

Let’s take a 65 damage shot. subtract 25% and you get 48.75 (49). That’s more than enough to put any character in Combat, even a Knight with 82 DEF (49 Combat Trigger). Considering shots in more endgame content are way above that on average (even after DEF calculations), it would hardly impact IC/OOC in that regard.

i’m a big fan of the character sprite

It went through many iterations. I’m proud of the sprite too.

Not everyone is a maxed Knight with tops or better though. Most maxed classes have between 40 and 50 def, depending on gear. And much of game is balanced around that, so going from e.g. 40 to 50 def can dramatically reduce the damage you take from many enemies, especially in Godlands and Godlands dungeons.

Those players are going to have an IC Combat Trigger between 31 and 34. If damage is reduced by 25% though it will need more like 41 - 45 damage to put them IC, a massive difference: it’s as much damage as is currently needed to put a Knight into IC.

That’s exactly the point. Most will have a much lower Combat Trigger, which means it won’t affect it in the slightest.

Going from 40 to 50 DEF impacts your gameplay about as much as going from 50 to 60 or from 60 to 70 DEF. 10 DEF is 10 DEF.
You seem to forget that a percentage-based damage reduction isn’t like Defense which is linear.

25% of 4 is 1;
25% of 10000 is 2500.

50 - 10 DEF is 40;
1000 - 10 DEF is 990.

You saying that going from 40 DEF to 50 DEF dramatically reduces the damage from enemies has its own merit but isn’t really accurate. There’s a reason why DEF is useful in godlands: There’s a lot of enemy fire. DEF starts being more useful the more shots you take in but if you have more DEF on a single shot, that shot will only be reduced by 10, which is not a lot to be honest with you.

What I’m getting at is that, unless you’re tanking a bunch of stuff, a step from 40 to 50 DEF is not that significant.
Plus, I don’t see why you’re talking about an increase in DEF in Godlands/Godlands dungeons when the buff isn’t a DEF increase. It’s cool that 10 DEF has utility in Godlands but what does it have to do with a buff that acts on a percentage-based rule rather than a linear one?

I don’t see how it heavily unbalances the game by having a 30 damage projectile (after def calculations) do 23 Damage instead or a 50 damage projectile (after def calculations) do 38 damage instead.

Massive difference? Not really and I’ll tell you why.

You seem to be forgetting that a Knight, with a Combat Trigger of, say 48 (77 DEF), needs a LOT more damage to be put in combat.
First you take the raw damage of a projectile: 150.
then you subtract the DEF from that amount: 150 - 77 = 73.
then you subtract from 73, 25% (if blessed): 73 - 25% = 54.75 (55).
then you compare it to Combat Trigger: Combat Trigger - 48; Damage Taken: 55; Character is put IC.

Now let’s go over the example of damage you provided: 45 damage.
By adding the Defense on that 45 damage to get the whole damage you get: 45 + 77 = 122.

Now we have our Benchmark.

Rogue with hydra has 42 DEF (33 Combat Trigger).
Knight with acrop and t6 shield has 76 DEF (but ill use 77 DEF cuz that was the value I used before and saves me from having to redo all the stuff).

122 - 42 = 80.
80 - 25% = 60.
Rogue Combat Trigger is 33, Damage taken is 60. Rogue is put In Combat.

122 - 77 = 45.
45 - 25% = 33.75 (34).
Knight Combat Trigger is 48, Damage taken is 34. Knight is Not put In Combat.

Since lower Def classes also take a lot more average damage, the 25% reduction won’t be near enough to reduce it so they can avoid IC. Sure, some shots that AFTER DEF CALCULATIONS are near the Combat Trigger (such as: 40 damage for example, which is reduced to 30 and since Rogue has 33 Trigger, it won’t put him in combat) won’t put the characters in Combat, but all others will.

A Knight that takes 45 damage, only takes 45 damage because his defense is 77 DEF.
A Rogue (or any other 40-50 DEF class for that matter) can’t expect to be able to tank stuff like the Knight does, even with Blessed because it simply won’t work. His defense won’t be enough to mitigate the damage to the point where subtracting 25% from it will make it go below the threshold for IC.

A projectile of 122 damage, between Knight and Rogue, already has a massive difference after you subtract defense. So you can’t say that because a Knight takes 45 damage from that projectile, a rogue with blessed taking the same exact projectile will reduce those 45 to less than his Combat Trigger, thus not putting him IC. It just isn’t true.

I was scrolling through some old stuff when I came across these sprites. I had no idea but apparently all tiers of spears already had their sprite done (except T14, what is that thing). So yeah here you go:

(Although imo they could use some color changes cuz they use the same colors as Staves.)

I prefer your sprites for them, that last spear doesn’t even make sense

Thanks. I believe the last spear is just placeholder but yeah I don’t like how they follow staves in colors. They could use more unique ones.

as an undertale fan, I love the t12 spear

Just a stylistic thing, I don’t think heavy armour should go on an angel

hmm maybe we need a new rmor type, like the light armor (rename the leather armors to… well leather armors)

Heh. Armors are fine the way they are rn, we don’t need new ones. What would it even specialize on? We already have Defense (Heavy), Dex/Spd (Leather), Magic (Robe).

I think Peedavid was only talking from a stylistic standpoint either way, but even then, it could be because what he pictures in his mind is one of those angels you see in paintings with very light silks on them, hardly even covering some parts of the body. But that’s just a human construct.

It really falls upon whoever is creating the angel based creature that gives it the features they want. There’s no standardisation. In fact, the way they are described in religious texts really paints a different picture about them. In general they don’t even have a physical form and they only take a human form to be able to appear in the physical realm as they are originally spirits.

i didnt, actually, wow

… wow. i mean i was thinking light armors would be sort of based on defence/mana a mix of heavy armor and robes.