ELDER REALMS: An Endgame Idea by Puffagod

• The cult system sounds like it could have been fun, but that’s a lot more work, and as much as I hate to say it, I actually prefer the way that realm cycles as it is. A nexus in the realm feels like it goes against a fundamental part of the current game. (A SPACETIME ship sounds cool, though XD)

• That is something I never got around to asking about. The cult system obviously takes some effort, with a fair bit of distance needed to be traveled (potentially) without active teleportation and the drudge of fighting difficult enemies on the way there, potentially by yourself if you nexused early out of a group. There’s enough space in each cult for precisely a third of these Elder Realms, but I doubted that everyone was going to be included in that count. I do think that after whenever you complete your next goal for the document (as it happens), that is a worthy pursuit. (This also has totally nothing to do with me being bugged about wanting to know more about those blasted [number] eyed men and their cryptic messages/origins).

• Extra Biomes are always nice, but finishing what’s already been started seems logical. (I know those sections take a lot of work).

(A Two-Eyed Man!? What blasphemy is this?)

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing, and happy 9th! I always love seeing notifications for this thread. :confetti_ball:

every man has 2 eyes. and the enemy is the urgalohumanoid

What happens if a Witch’s Brew calls for multiple of Elder Theriac?

Very good question. I’d say (judging from the logic of how Pumpkin Bombs stack) that the Theriac’s radius would be increased to 4 tiles. While extremely strong, the absurdly small chance of this happening (and the relative difficulty of aquiring the Theriacs) makes it fair enough imo… :)))

I’m always impressed with your sharp eye and attention to detail with questions like this!! Many thanks indeed and do keep them coming if you stumble upon any more C:

What about the canopic cocktails, would it have a doubled duration?

I’d say so, following the above logic - although I get that rapidly popping two Canopic Cocktails out of the context of Witch’s Brew (much like Elder Theriacs) would not work that way. Of course Witch’s Brew could have some hard-coded quirks for combinations that wouldn’t stack naturally :slight_smile:

I feel like the swamp onion could be used in the nexus to DC any player with ally projectiles on on crowded servers.

So it could - although that particular sort of server-trolling was not in vogue when the item was invented…

Perhaps the Swamp Onion could be marked as unusable in the nexus, like a few currently existing consumables - although I fear that updating the document to reflect the modern state of realm in such high resolution is a slippery slope, considering how significantly the game’s mechanics have changed since its inception & publication.

Beyond the process it would take for rebalancing, I stand by thinking that this document is strictly for the lore and flavors of ideas. Some of the fight ideas were cool in and of themselves on paper, but putting them into practice (even back in the version of the game when this was created) would likely take some balancing anyway. Trying to edit anything that isn’t obviously broken feels like a less effective use of time.

“That awful King Alexander and his enviable abdomen"

Is SPACE seriously jealous of a slurp’s 6-pack?

That made me laugh back when I read it as well :joy:

Ngl, I feel like the Archetype being able to deal 650 damage with a fast moving projectile is pretty overkill, I kind of feel like having 200 damage per halve second beams like Feral’s, would more appropriately demonstrate the power of this attack. The beam could even have infinite range, and be telegraphed via a thin indicator beam instead of two shoots as with Feral’s.

Yep I totally agree with you there. However I don’t believe there was an in-game precedent for such an attack while I was designing the Archetype. Where possible I tried to use existing in-game analogues for enemy attacks (ie, the splitting shots that appear throughout the Elder Realm are justified by O2’s exploding suns, contact damage is justified by Manor Bats etc). This isn’t always the case (inwards-moving shots like Uruthaguruthag’s terrene accretions are an example) but even then I tried not to rock the boat too significantly - I never imagined they would add a beam attack like Feral’s…

Editing the document to include newer mechanics is a slippery slope (if I change the Archetype, then why not go back and spend modernise everything else?) so I can’t promise to include the change - although I really like it and probably would have gone with it in the first place had I known!

Not gonna lie, those psychic attacks that used the terrain as a weapon might’ve been a little weird for the game back in the state it was as well, but it was very creative.

I’m not pushing for updating, but you weren’t shy for trying out new ideas, conceptually!

oh yes that too is a good example :slight_smile: On the whole though I did try to be more or less conservative with the attacks - heaven knows there would have been a few very different fights if I wasn’t!!

edit: nice profile pic too!!

Honestly, the entire game is currently in this state where we have a sort of grey area between old and new content, and if the game’s code continues to evolve with new bullet types and enemy behaviours, we may end up in a scenario where stuff like the nest, fungal and crystal caverns and ocean trench will start to look outdated. All in all, I don’t really see the problem with modernising specific parts of the elder realms whilst not doing so for the others, especially given the length of this document and the fact that it would only make sense to modernise the parts of document that feel kinda broken, like the aforementioned quantum quiddities .

It actually looks so cool, you could even make a new game out of this whole idea wtf. I liked it a lot and hopefully deca do the same they did with LH to this idea of yours. Very very nice

This is really cool! I’d love to see this in game! Who knows, maybe DECA is watching O.o

I can cite the source if need be, but DECA is definitely aware. I’m just worried about how they would implement it, especially considering existing tensions.

If they use something like this concept, I’ll be happy in a bittersweet sort of way.

Yeah I can understand that for sure. I hope if they plan on implementing it that they at least reach out and work with puffy. I feel like that would be the best course of action so if they need to change anything he can come up with a solution that could fit into your idea. Has he tried getting in contact with DECA about it?