Exclusive Classes

Deca has stated multiple times that new classes are a possibility in the future, but not a priority.
What if there were specific new classes that can only be unlocked as drops from dungeons or chests events, like a Santa class during Christmas etc. There’s no reason that Deca can’t do this because it’s very montizeable, many guilds will run dungeons until they get the class unlocker. Just an idea, tell me your thoughts kids :3

Or or or, make the classes easily available to everyone like classes should be!

I have to agree with @Shatter, all the classes are available relatively easy for everyone. Putting them behind almost a “pay wall” would not help new players looking to explore or even vets looking to try it out.

Moved to #ideas:wip.

Also, no - because making core mechanics of the game accessible behind a grind or a paywall essentially drives the p2w versus f2p rift further apart and discourages new players.

Not to mention the fact that the class’s abilities would be utterly useless to everyone else, and would also be hard to sell even for a low price.

The only way I can see this being possible is if it used another class’s ability, which I am not fond of. (And I don’t think many other people are either.)

I still think it would be interesting :3

skins

I think this idea is interesting and I’d definitely like it to come true. Honestly, I feel most classes, people take for granted cough ninja cough. Making a new class that drops from a boss would make it feel like 1. A pretty cool class and 2. A class that you can take for a spin/try out. Most people that I know won’t even try out the ninja or give it a chance because of people saying how bad it is.

What do you mean “class that you can take for a spin/try out” If it is behind a wall that you have to grind for?

You have to earn a good car to take it out for a spin and try it out. When you do the satisfaction is greater than when you get it for granted. Understand? Should be pretty simple.

But you can test drive some items where as this you need to actually get it before you can try it.

This isn’t about buying a car. You can’t draw an analogy ignoring what’s inconvenient.

The aim of a game is to draw in more users, and retain existing ones. The moment you add exclusivity in core mechanics behind a high level grind or a paywall… well, we all know and have seen what happens.

I’d say it’s too early to think about riffing on different variations of how new classes are introduced into the game, when Deca hasn’t yet taken their first step down the new-classes-path.

I am very against whenever they put new content behind a pay-wall, or behind an RNG-tedium-wall. It’s fine for cosmetics, borderline for new items that aren’t exactly game-changing, dubious for ability items that are actual new mechanics, but we’d be talking about going to the next level if they did that with an entire class.

And there’s the class quests/star ranking - considered as core components of Rotmg. I could never be happy with anything that stopped free players from “completing” the game with a white star achievement, and pay-classes would do that.

HOWEVER
Maybe far far down the road if/when we are up to a (much) higher number of classes than 14 we could think about other interesting options to bring new classes into the game - perhaps as an advance chance to get the class it could be released as an early exclusive for pay-players, and placed into event chest for RNG chance to get, so long as it was then released fully for everyone a couple/few weeks later.

While we’re on the topic…
If Deca does go ahead and make a win out of new classes, things like the class-unlocking could be much better monetised, if (basic example), a new Evicerator class was the 22nd class to unlock, and was awesomefun, then lightblue rank players might happily part with 500 schmeckels to direct unlock it rather than go through a two week class-unlocking odyssey to reach it.

At this point of the game, when it’s nearing endgame, I don’t think it really matters. New players will still be able to experience the same classes while people who play this game get to earn a new class. It’s like buying a car. You earn your money or in this case go through dungeons to get the classes. You will have times where you lose money instead of gain, or die on your characters.

Which is why I used the analogy above. You’re confusing me.

I admit we’re at an end game-ish scenario, with powercreep kicking in and whatnot. But the playercount imo just isn’t where it should be.

As Nev said, introducing classes behind a paywall might be an option after a few classes. But you do need to realize that the exclusivity and luxury of something behind a paywall/grind is what’s created this huge rift in players with pets.

Could be done, but this isn’t real life - buying a car isn’t like getting a class. Unlocking a core mechanic of the game shouldn’t be behind a grind. Unlocking a class is like buying a basic mode of transport, the car is like the Pixie or Etherite.

Well I mean, everything is p2w even pixies.I want something that you can’t just pay for.

UT’s?

Got duped to hell.

Wait… but isn’t that…Nevermind.