Really Depressing Rant (Long)

What gives you the right to insult him, but not me if I want to?

Objection. He does not even know I’m transgender. You can’t peg that excuse on him. If he DID know I was though, oh boy.

Also, if you’re going to say my existence is a sin, that’s not going to slide well with me.

I’d rather live a real life as myself than be an empty shell of someone’s expectations.

I’d say the Bible is more of an epic, not a novel. That’s what you meant right?

according to the religion of christianity everybody is deeply flawed, so…it wasn’t an insult.

wasn’t aware. apologies.

I do say that, but mine is as well, so we’re on even ground.

no, I meant my post.

according to solosen’s belief, his dad is a “hierophant”, so it’s not an insult.

if I happen to genuinely believe that every single human being on the earth is an idiot (and to an extent I actually do), myself included, then it’s not an insult for me to say that you’re definitely being an idiot atm.

idiot.

:wink:

Here’s the difference you missed. Solo’s father is a “christian” and they believe everyone is a sinner! I too, believe everyone is a sinner. We operate on the same belief system to a large extent, so it is perfectly reasonable for me to say he is a deeply flawed human being, as am I. If he is at least partly christian he will acknowledge/accept that.

On the other hand, if you believe everybody is an idiot except you and I don’t believe that? That’s an insult to me, because we’re operating on different worldviews and I don’t acknowledge/accept the statement.

It doesn’t put you on even ground to call me a major sin, that is insulting.

Absolutely it does? Saying we’re all fucked up, especially ME shouldn’t be an insult to you. If everybody is equally fucked, everybody is the same.

We must all operate on the same belifes.

You can call yourself whatever you want, whether it’s a compliment or an insult. But my friend there’s something called a golden rule I learned in school. Treat others how you’d like to be treated. Just because someone is okay being called a “redneck corn fucker” doesn’t mean everyone else needs to be okay with being called one.

Also put yourself in my shoes for a change. It would give you a better perspective.

Nothing I’ve done breaks that rule. I encourage people to call me out when I’m in sin. I have actual people holding me accountable in my daily life. Just because I’ve come to the revelation that nobody is perfect doesn’t mean I’ve broken the golden rule.

I’ve been in an extremely similar pair of shoes. I was pretty seriously physically abused when I was younger. I understand what you’re going through.

That’s not necessarily how insults work though. Depending on who you ask, “Jew” for example can be an insult, a source of pride or a neutral term to categorize people.

what about that contradicts what I’ve said? I’m sort of confused.

And you don’t see how calling other people “sinners” when they have completely different values than yours could be received poorly?

Even among christians there are probably some who would disagree with you because they think sin is only in the acts you commit, and that someone’s life can’t by itself be a sin.

Or maybe I’m wrong.

Nope. All christians believe that we are sinful and fallen from birth because of the original sin, regardless of whether we sin later in life or not. That’s a crucial facet of being a christian.

Do you stop to consider perhaps everyone doesn’t believe in ‘sin?’ Thus they can’t call you out on it but you can still call them out, it’s not balanced dude.

I’m not talking about abuse here. I’m referring to how you see me. Suppose you were trans and I was the one giving you labels. You wouldn’t be happy about it, or anyone else.

Why do you care if I say everybody is sinful if you don’t believe in the concept of sin?

if i’m placing myself on equal ground as them, and they don’t believe in the concept of sin, where is the problem?

Because that’s how arguments start. And by everyone, you called me out just now.

Try to be more sensitive towards others. What means nothing to you could mean a lot to them.

It’s similar to what I learned about 2 weeks ago in english language IB

The intent behind the words is what matters.
Back in the 1960s, the n-word was used as an insult (still is today) AND as a term of endearment between black couples. There’s difference in the contexts, and a word that was considered positive between some couples was turned into an insult. A neutral word such as “sinner” to someone who doesn’t believe in sinners is still an insult when used this way, especially considering how it would apply to sen.

See you’re still ignoring the whole “equal grounds” part. I understand your argument but it’s still flawed because the word sin has no judgemental connotations.

Just because you think a word means something that it doesn’t, doesn’t mean that word means what you think it does.

When a real Christian (myself included) says you’re sinning, there is no judgement attached, because I am not fit to judge you (being on equal ground as you) THATS what the word entails.

You’re right, the intent matters.

Intent does matter, but so does perspective. In fact, if anything perspective is more important than intent.

I learned this in college.

Just because someone says something, you can perceive it differently from them. Whether it’s a sentence or how you see colors. But case in point is if you try to be more sensitive towards others in this regard you won’t risk insulting them as much.

Take Trump for instance. You can probably agree with some of the things he says, but sometimes he’ll probably tweet something stupid that can be perceived worse by others.

In a nutshell, perception is everything.