Spell of Holy Magic - How to make shots boomerang on pfiffel.com

Afaik this is the first item with boomerang shots that can be done on the weapon editor.

This causes many beams of holy magic to strike the target. Due to a prior accident, a reminder to use this with caution has been burned into the spell.

Stats
Tier: UT
Shots: 20
Total damage: 900-2500 (1700)
Mp cost: 80
Projectile speed: 0.5
Lifetime: 500
Amplitude: 2.75
Frequency: 0.75
Arc gap: 18
Fame bonus: 5%
Feed power: 700

More info

(The projectiles move twice as fast as shown above but the speed was lowered because gifs have a low framerate.)

The frequency and amplitude cause the shots move outwards, return to the cursor, then overshoot by a few tiles (for no overshoot set the frequency to 0.5). This boomerang effect means twice as many shots will land if you don’t get a perfect hit.

The spell of holy magic is good against enemies like Skuld (where a perfect hit isn’t possible) but not against enemies like the Avatar (which is easy to hit with all shots).

Balancing
The tier 6 spell does 44% more damage than this spell if you land a perfect hit. However, this spell does 39% more damage than the tier 6 if you don’t.

Guide: How to make a shot boomerang towards the cursor
  1. Make the projectile speed 0.5.
  2. Set the amplitude to the distance you want the shots to travel.
  3. The frequency must be 0.5 to make the shots despawn when they return.
  4. You can control the movement speed of the shots with the lifetime stat.
  5. For a ‘single’ shot to go to the cursor, use 4 shots and set the arc gap to 180.

I was gonna say it’s insanely OP. But damn, that seems well balanced. Also the concept is pretty neat!

shots cant hit the same enemy twice

Okay, I like the concept, but the sprites need shading. The shot is fine because you would barely see it anyway, but I’ll change the spell for you.

No.

Spells are not meant to be heavily shaded, and even if they are you’ve only applied a straight gradient from top to bottom.

Gradients != shading != “better sprite”

looks at djinn shots, looks back at you

one shot cannot hit a target more than once, what are you referring to exactly

A shot can’t hit a target more than once but this item doesn’t need it to. The op might not be clear so here is more explanation.

^ The path of one of the shots.

Each shot returns, then goes to the other side. This means that any shots that miss the target by 180 degrees will hit after they pass through the centre. So you get twice as many hits as a tiered spell (unless you land every shot).

Creative idea and seems pretty balanced. You are in the 1%! Proud of you mate.

Thanks, it looks quite good. I’m not sure if spells should be shaded or not.

• Shade all the spells
  • Only shade this spell
  • No spells should be shaded

0 voters

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.