Swamp of Lost Souls Dungeon Idea

The Swamp of Lost Souls was my first good dungeon idea. It has some problems such as lousy sprites and occasionally unclear writing, but although I consider it inferior to my Lost Halls idea, it still has a special place in my heart as the origin of my other full-fledged ideas. If I didn’t learn from the mistakes I made here, I doubt the Lost Halls would be very good either. That’s not to say this idea is bad (I hope), I just can’t say it’s aged too well.

Click here to enter the Swamp of Lost Souls.

Love your ideas as always toastrz. (and your idle game too!)

i especially like how the dungeon discourages leeching. I’m not sure if i’m just blind and missed it, but what enemy drops this dungeon?

The paragraph at the end had me laughing for a while.

I never did get around to making something that drops this dungeon. Some people suggested the Slime God, but it wouldn’t be right for an endgame dungeon built around having a large group of people to drop from a simple realm enemy where only a few people will spot it. Maybe someday.

You’re right, the Slime God would be unfitting to drop this. I don’t think there’s currently a suitable enemy for the dungeon…maybe a new event boss?

That’s what I would do if I were to give this dungeon a drop. Give it some sort of thematically-fitting event boss to drop from.

Perhaps you could create a new encounter altogether, on the level of a Grand Sphinx or thereabouts? Maybe even a Lucky Slime God if that is more effort than it’s worth.

Lucky gods are supposed to be for epic dungeons (cdepths, etc.) not for completely new ones. [quote=“Dappertron, post:6, topic:557”]
Perhaps you could create a new encounter altogether, on the level of a Grand Sphinx or thereabouts?
[/quote]

not quite sure what you mean by this - if you mean a new event boss, then yeah, that would be fitting.

A very nice dungeon idea.

It has some problems such as lousy sprites and occasionally unclear writing,

I wouldn’t say either of these are massive problems as they don’t really affect the gameplay. There are a few dungeons in rotmg that look beautiful but play terribly.

this is a chase dungeon, the group will “rush” it together […] A fresh, non-level 20 character may be incapable of outrunning the swamp water

The content in rotmg doesn’t play well when attacked by very large or very small groups. Too many players and everything dies instantly, too few and it takes too long or is impossible. Usually there is some leeway since the players can progress at their own pace. The difficulty of this dungeon is very dependent on the number of players.

Solutions:

• Use some invulnerable enemies (headless horseman, tomb turrets) so the enemy firepower depends less on the number of players.
  • Give all enemies piercing bullets to remove another advantage of a large group.
  • A player cap for the dungeon. Perhaps even multiple dungeon could spawn to handle demand.
  • Maybe reuse the Oryx’s castle spawn mechanic to divide larger groups and have their paths meet in the boss room.

Skill Challenge: Double Bridge […] As for a group effort, it is advisable for the group to split up and take out the minions on each side. This will keep each other safe, and help encourage some teamwork.

This sounds awesome.

Lizard rogue: This enemy will try to circle the player, but retreats and approaches when necessary. One of the most tactical enemies in the dungeon. At 50% health, it will turn into the eye form like a Sand Phantom Wisp.

Nice

a destructible vine wall to keep rushers from getting the boss early

To slow the rushing rogues but not the whole group, giving it high defence might help. This is what the shatters did with the 200 defence (and low hp) switches and that worked fairly well.

Love it great how you can’t leech and improves your teamwork!

Possibly a rare slurm queen event boss that drops pots and the dungeon(possibly like a key!?!?!?)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.