The Protector

Default Skin

Alternate Skin

Uses:

• Bows
  • Marks*
  • Heavy Armors
  • Rings

*Marks are used for providing a buff for your allies and yourself in a way that differs from the other classes that provide it.

Stats

Starting Stats:
180 Health
100 Mana
12 Attack
0 Defense
10 Speed
10 Dexterity
15 Vitality
10 Wisdom

Maximum Stats:
750 Health
252 Mana
60 Attack
25 Defense
50 Speed
50 Dexterity
75 Vitality
50 Wisdom

Stats per Level:
20-30 Health
2-8 Mana
1-2 Attack
0 Defense
0-2 Speed
0-2 Dexterity
1-2 Vitality
0-2 Wisdom

Tiered Abilities

All cooldowns for Tiered Marks are 1.5 Seconds longer than the Effect on Self duration.

Mage’s Mark, Tier 0

A small, basic mark that fills you and your allies with protection.

Party Effect:
Armored for 1 Second in 2 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 1.5 Seconds
MP Cost: 85

Shining Mark, Tier 1

A bright mark that shines with internal energy.

Party Effect:
Armored for 1.3 Seconds in 2.5 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 1.7 Seconds
MP Cost: 95

Black Magic Mark, Tier 2

A dull mark that is illuminated with the forbidden arts.

Party Effect:
Armored for 1.6 Seconds in 3 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 2.1 Seconds
MP Cost: 105

Frozen North Mark, Tier 3

A more advanced mark, filled with the ancient powers of ice and snow.

Party Effect:
Armored for 2 Seconds in 3.5 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 2.5 Seconds
MP Cost: 115
Fame Bonus: 1%

Magmatic Mark, Tier 4

An expert mark that extracts the burning powers of the elements beneath the ground below.

Party Effect:
Armored for 2.5 Seconds in 4 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 3.1 Seconds
MP Cost: 125
Fame Bonus: 2%

Mark of the Vile, Tier 5

Crafted by the forces of evil originally, it seems that it is much better suited for the forces of good than the evil it was made by.

Party Effect:
Armored for 3 Seconds in 4 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 3.5 Seconds
MP Cost: 135
Fame Bonus: 3%

Mark of Dual Fates, Tier 6

An equilibrium is somehow contained within this simple mark. It seems that they work well together, despite being polar opposites.

Party Effect:
Armored for 3 Seconds in 4 Squares
Effect on Self:
Armored for 3.5 Seconds
Damaging for 1 Second
MP Cost: 135
On Equip:
+2 Vitality
+2 Wisdom
Fame Bonus: 4%

Untiered Abilities

Mark of the Ancients

Infused with the powers of the gods’ unfathomable power, it provides powers that no mortal could ever dream of. However, it is very dangerous to use, and is advised against.

Party Effect:
Armored for 2 Seconds in 6 Squares
Effect on Self:
Sick for 2.5 Seconds
Armored for 2.5 Seconds
Invulnerable for 1.5 Seconds
On Equip:
+3 Defense
MP Cost: 160
Cooldown: 4 Seconds
Fame Bonus: 6%

Mark of the Negative

An odd energy emits from all of this mark. None are truly able to harness its power, but those that can are said to become beings beyond existence.

Party Effect:
Berserk for 2.5 Seconds in 3 Squares
Damaging for 2.5 Seconds in 3 Squares
Armored for 1.5 Seconds in 3 Squares
Effect on Self:
Berserk for 3.5 Seconds
Damaging for 3.5 Seconds
Armored for 2.1 Seconds
On Equip:
+4 Attack
+4 Dexterity
MP Cost: 175
Cooldown: 4 Seconds
Fame Bonus: 5%
(Sprite by Life)

Mark of the Void

A highly unusual mark that comes from a place far beyond the plane of existence. Its effects are unparalleled, but are highly unusual.

Effect on Self:
Speedy for 3 Seconds
Invulnerable for 3 Seconds
Healing for 8 Seconds
Stunned for 3 Seconds (Hardcoded)
Dazed for 6 Seconds (Hardcoded)
On Equip:
+50 Maximum HP
MP Cost: 150
Cooldown: 5 Seconds
(Sprite by jefuu)

Mark of Madness

Beware of who dares to summon the beast of the underworld, as some will not truly be able to handle its power…

Party Effect:
Armored for 1.5 Seconds in 3 squares
Healing for 5 Seconds in 3 squares
Effect on Self:
Damaging for 5 Seconds
Berserk for 5 Seconds
Speedy for 5 Seconds
Armor Broken for 5 Seconds
Sick for 5 Seconds
+10 Dexterity for 5 Seconds
+10 Attack for 5 Seconds
On Equip:
+66 Maximum HP
+6 Vitality
MP Cost: 160

A buff that armors you and people around seems op, why not just do a temporary def buff instead? Other than that, it seems like a nice class

The only issue with that is it wouldn’t be as useful for the Sword classes and this class. I can see it happening, but that’s just what I think about a Def boost over Armored.

An armored buff from a tiered item is way too OP, and the high mana cost does nothing to help balance it out. This class would essentially make jugg useless since this is so much more accessible. The Mark of the Negative makes the entire classes of warrior and paladin useless, and the Mark of the void and ancients make oreo useless as both give invulnerability. Essentially, this class makes warrior and paladin and their respective event whites useless. Major rework is needed for this to become even a viable option.

Stat wise its on par with knight (with ability). Ability is pretty broken, and makes armored kind of redundant. This would make both the jugg and marble seal obsolete. Party armoring is an affect that shouldn’t be used by an entire class.

For background of the class, this was made for a different server with pets not being anywhere as powerful as they currently are in Prod, and I took this directly from that concept and put it here. There’s obviously things that need to be reworked for it to do well in the concept of Prod, but I can tell you one thing: it doesn’t make the event whites of Warrior or Paladin useless at all.

Ancients has the drawback of giving Sick upon use for 2.5 seconds, which is the amount of time that you have Armored, in trade for 1 second of Invulnerable. This can come into use, but remember that you can’t heal at all if you’re Sick, which poses a threat in some situations.

Void, on the other hand, doesn’t have anywhere near the same effect that Jugg or Oreo would. If you look carefully at the effects it gives, it gives Invulnerable and Speedy for 3 Seconds, as well as Healing for 8, sure, but it also gives a Hardcoded Stunned for 3 Seconds and a Hardcoded Dazed for 6. (Hardcoded meaning they cannot be healed, like how you cannot heal the Speedy of a Ninja holding down spacebar in the Mad Lab.) This is mainly used to escape a very bad situation, and is not meant to be used for powerplay.

I’ll likely just change the Armored for all of the marks outside of Negative to a boost towards Defense for the same amount of time in varying amounts(with thanks to Daigo for the idea). That would keep the concept, but make it not “broken”.

Only thing I really have to say to you is: couldn’t you be a little bit more constructive?

that’s kinda broken, y’know? i mean this is basically a jugg with no cooldown.

and 1 second is too short to be significant. at least 2 or 1.5 seconds.

yeah i dont know, this is like giving a prot to an archer

im not a big fan of “self debuffing”, because a puri priest or holy water can make this item a little bit broken, although the 4 sec cooldown helps.

yeah no. berserk+damaging = stupid. Especially since this is a ranged class that can wield the dbow and is tanky as fuck

and this doesnt help either

the hardcoded kinda makes this too confusing or complicated for the game
and too many effects for 1 item.

what the hell
this is an even STRONGER mark of the negative
again puri priest

all in all, this idea basically renders all other classes useless.

this is a class that can have access to all heavy armors, mind you.

fdba can make this class have higher def than hydra while having an attack buff

any other heavy armor can make this class a way more broken dps tank
and theres also an armored buff

this class has access to the highest def and att items in the game
and the abilities dont help either

the abilities can achieve things such as speedy, invulnerability, and berserk

high damage

high defense

high mobility

without any drawbacks

all the current “drawbacks” can either be countered with items such as breastplate or puri priest

this idea should not be a thing, as it would completely destroy realm as an even more “no skill” class than knight

why use marble seal when you can just spam mark?

why play archer when you can live longer AND deal more damage?

why play knight when you can shoot from afar with dbow and berserk?

For the Tier 6, it does have a cooldown of 1.5 seconds. At the top of the post regarding the abilities, it states that the cooldown is 1.5 seconds after the Effect on Self effect runs out, meaning that it’s 5 seconds for Tier 6.

For Ancients, I put Sick on it to balance it out, since you do become invulnerable for 1.5 seconds but there’s going to be no healing during that time if you’re lower on health, and for a second after as well.

That’s why I put the MP Cost at a whopping 175 for this class. It’s not entirely optimal, but unless you bought your way through the game with pets it’ll be hard to consistently use. The extra offense isn’t the worst, either.

It’s not really complicated to have effects be hardcoded. It just means they can’t be healed is all. As for the effects, it’s like that purposefully.

For Madness, remember that you get Sick and Armor Broken for 5 seconds upon use. This means you can’t heal, and you will have no defense. Purely offensive. And yes, you could say that “oh but they can use dbow” but to be completely fair, the Sword classes have Sword of the Colossus, which can do almost 2.5x the amount of damage that DBow can do in the amount of time that DBow can fire once. Other Swords can only get to around 1.5x. Not to mention, Pixie is a thing, too.

I’m very likely going to make some changes to the overall use of the class and its abilities for this forum, to make it not seem “too powerful” or “too complicated”. Toning down buffs is going to be a main to-do here, and changing the Armored is as well.

Do take a note from Caesar here: don’t just focus on everything bad and spew on about it, try and come up with something productive for the poster. I’m not going to go to an idea that you’d post and ramble on without saying how it could be fixed. And, no, saying “puri priest” doesn’t count.

I am sorry for being so negative and not giving any suggestions to improve this class, but sometimes I don’t really think things through completely, now that I look at some of the Ut’s, especially the void one, I see that they are more balanced than I originally thought. However, I am kind of against introducing entirely new gimmicks into the game such as Def boosts by different amounts for specific classes. Call me a traditionalist, but I think that it should use something currently in the game to achieve its goal. I once again apologize for shamelessly criticizing the work you obviously put so much time and effort into. I know this might sound kind of sarcastic, but I am actually being genuine about my apology here. The heavy armor on a ranged class is not a good idea, as the 24 Def from acrop would give this bow class 49 def, and that is not even taking into account rings, which would probably be prya for the def buff to even further the armor buff. Add atk and 100 hp, you got 850 hp, where most bow classes only get 800, and 53 def. Way too much survivability for a bow class. Lower hp to 700 to keep it in line with the other bow classes, and give it leather armors, and fix the marks, and you might see this class come into the actual game.

You sound like my friend who apologises superflously for everything he considers may be a slight disturbance to anyone, it’s not really needed because the maker of the post should expect criticism as long as it isn’t hate, your criticism is fine on it’s own as it’s constructive :slight_smile:

Yeah, you’re exactly right about my character, i really don’t want to bother anyone. Especially online, where I tend to be more polite than usual, even though I’m anonymous and have all the more reason to speak my mind in the way I want to.

I actually used a poll to determine what the class would use and what kind of a class it would be. What was decided was:

• Bow
  • Heavy Armor
  • Support

It was super weird.

That is a kind of a hard selection to make a class out of, but I think you did a good job creating this class, though armored by using a tiered ability is still way too OP.

I’ll likely go with the idea of using a straight Def increase, or maybe a Health increase too, possibly. Mark of the Ancients will keep its Armored, though, due to its usage. Maybe.

I would agree with that, def and/or hp increase would not cause the class to be the only one played in the game, and with pets the high mana cost would be nonexistent for the armored buff.

Armored buff on tiered ability, not ancients.

I’ll get to changing up stuff later on. It’ll be a bit of an overhaul.

No offense but this seems like a jugg warrior with a doom bow…

“oh hi mark LELELEL xDDdDDd IM SO FUNNy COMEDY GENIUS”

this comes off as pretty passive aggressive and condescending ngl, this is the sorta thing that ends up leading to flamewars. while a poster might seem aggressive because they’re criticizing your idea, it’s generally not with the intention to bash or insult it, and i think you should respect that a little more.
but that aside let’s look at the class

not a big fan of the sprite, as it seems incredibly similar to huntress, and the gray color makes it look sorta drab. idk what to do about it, but adding a belt (for consistency with other classes) and having a lighter shade of gray would be a start.

also the name is sorta weird, but i’m shit at naming conventions so i’ll just leave that alone.

for the tiered sprites, i dislike them but not for the reasons that you’d expect. none of them are terrible sprites at all, but my reason for disliking them is on the account that tiered items aren’t supposed to be unique or overcomplicated. stars aside (i mean, ninja was a kabam thing anyway), all tiered abilities are fairly formulaic, with the only variation being the pattern on the ability itself. furthermore, none have particularly eye catching shading.

the issue here is that while the t0 and t1 abilities are fine, the item suddenly becomes more bulky at t3. not only that, but they individually gain at least 2 different colors that aren’t shading. this violates the (unspoken) rule of most tiered abilities, including stars. observe, if you will, the tiered abilities from t2 to t5.

note that none of the sprites have more than 2 colors accounting for shading. even then, shading really only consists of two different shading styles: a four corners/light from top right shading or a two halves/light from the right sort of shading. yours, in the meanwhile, follows a top right/bottom left and top left/bottom right sort of shading, which i don’t think makes too much sense, as no sort of light angle would create that kind of shading.

imo what you should do here is simply reduce the number of colors per item to 2-3 and have the shading be more formulaic in relation to the current abilities we have. the t6 one in particular bothers me because the pattern and palette both changed completely, whereas previous tiers were fairly consistent with this. otherwise, ability sprites are good.

about the abilities themselves:

imo, it’s not the self armor effect that’s broken. what is broken here is group armor as multiple people have talked about, making it the ultimate support in conjunction with pally/priest and having 2 or more protectors in a group means that you can basically perma-armor a decently sized group without an extremely high level pet. a temporary def boost as @bigdaigo mentioned might work, but i think it’d just be better to cut off the group armor completely and possibly slightly decrease the mana cost of the ability to compensate.

this is probably more a personal thing, but in my view ideas that concern changing the current class formula either try too hard to be original or are unbalanced in some way. i think it should be changed to leather armor, not only for consistency’s sake, but for balance.

i’m going to keep bringing this up because i’m a purist but there should be some consistency between similar classes. while “lower” stat caps are variable, for similar classes HP and MP should stay the same. thus i propose to change it from 750 -> 720 HP cap.

i’d also lean towards changing the atk cap from 55 -> 60 simply to counterbalance tiered armor, but that’s more a personal bias than anything.

now on to the ut’s:
as a foreword, i’m gonna assume that group effects have been removed unless explicitly stated. i stand by the belief that group armor is far too strong.

it seems like a mixed bag - at first glance it outclasses oreo in most aspects, which it basically does. my only suggestion here is to lower the mp cost slightly but increase the cooldown to 7 seconds just like oreo. i’m not gonna expand on why mp cost doesn’t balance an ability but i’m lazy and this post is big enough.

ok, this is seriously broken. partially taking the buffing roles of both warrior and paladin is far too much for one class to handle, no matter how weak stat-wise or how well balanced it initially was.

we here in the ideas section generally have a vendetta against double offensive buffs because all it really does is turn this into a killing machine with range for 3.5 seconds. the +4 att/dex seems a tad bit random as well - i mean you’re already buffing your offense with your ability, why go further? i did specify that i wasn’t gonna talk about the goup role but guess what i lied ha

berserk/damaging by itself is already broken even as a single buff, but throw armored and the GROUP buff into the mix and it’s simply insane. i think that maybe an interesting effect, like allowing weapons to inflict status effects for a certain period of time, would be cool, but at this point it’s not unique. it’s just ridiculously unbalanced.

this would be an interesting possibily, but assuming one has even a half decent pet, it gives them a 10 second period in which they could be armored for 6 seconds. (hidden cookie :cookie:) imo, especially with the bulk boost and the host of positive effects it has, it’s pretty unbalanced right now. it is an interesting concept though, but i think the positives need to be nerfed and the negatives need to be buffed.

blurgh this is the one i have the most issue with.
YOU STOLE
THE CULT NECRO SKULL’S
STAT BOOSTS
AEARRRRAMLCAMSDLCKMALSDKCMSLKAJCEIKMLASDMCK

that aside, it really is unbalanced. what i think you were trying to do here was try to balance the totally excessive offensive boosts with armor break/sick, which have seen done on some private servers with melee classes. however, the difference here is that it’s not a private server and that it’s a ranged class, vs a short range one. not only that, the speedy makes dodging easier and the excess of offensive buffs means that it’s basically shredding anything that’s not a boss.
idk what to suggest for this.

imo, it might be best to drop the mark of madness completely. i mean 3 ut abilities? that’s already a lot. 4 is excessive.

that’s about all the feedback i got, if you actually read through all of it then you already got a reward.