The Underworld Project

The Underworld is an unforgiving Realm that can be accessed from the normal Realm, the Overworld. The Underworld is a form of the Elder Realms idea. To get here you must find Cerberus in the Overworld.

How to go to the Underworld

Cerberus is a Set-Piece Boss that can be found in the Mountains. There is no quest indicator for this boss. The difficulty of Cerberus is comparable to that of the Avatar. After Cerberus is defeated he will open the gate to the Underworld.

The gate to the Underworld does not close and can be accessed by anyone that stumbles upon the remains of Cerberus. Cerberus does not need to be fought more than once per Overworld to enter the Underworld.

There is only one Underworld Realm available in each server, if the player count reaches 85, then another Underworld Realm will exist. Players that enter the Underworld in different Overworld Realms, such as Medusa and Beholder, will end up in the same Underworld Realm.

The Underworld

The first place players will spawn in the Underworld is the Mushroom Layer. The Mushroom Layer is the equivalent to the Shoreline in terms of Realm progression, the Midlands in terms of difficulty, and the Mountains in terms of location.

The Mushroom Layer has only ten monsters, two of which being quest monsters that can open a portal to the Fungal Garden, which is the only dungeon found in the Mushroom Layer.

The Mushroom Layer is surrounded by the Upper Caverns that links to each Mushroom zone and the Lower Caverns. The Upper Caverns consists of a dungeon-like cave system that is the size of two Ice Cave rooms on average. There are no ā€œroomsā€ in the Caverns, they are smooth transitions. The Upper Caverns is the equivalent to the Lowlands in terms of Realm progression and the Highlands in terms of difficulty and location.

The Upper Caverns have 22 monsters, six of which being quest monsters. Two dungeons can be found in this area, the Ancient Mines and the Eldritch Cove

Branching off from the Upper Caverns are the smaller Lower Caverns. The size of these are half of the Upper Caverns on average. The Lower Caverns is the equivalent to Midlands in terms of Realm progression and location, and the Mountains in terms of difficulty.

Lava rivers flow throughout the Lower Caverns and out to Hell. The Lower Caverns have 34 monsters, ten of which being quest monsters. Three dungeons can be found in the Lower Caverns, the Ethereal Battlefield, the Hydraā€™s Lair, and the Ancient Mines for a second time.

Once players exit the cave system they enter Hell. Hell is the equivalent to Highlands in terms of progression, and the Lowlands in terms of location, but the difficulty here is greater than the Mountains.

Hell is the hard mode version of the Overworldā€™s Godlands. Impassible pits, small lava lakes, and lava rivers make up the landscape in Hell. ā€œFallenā€ Gods are the residents of Hell. Hell has 23 monsters, none of which are quest monsters. The dungeons dropped in this area are the Stormlands, Slithering Crypts, Cosmic Rift, Pit of Chaos, Acropolis of the Fallen, Crawling Depths, and the Woodland Labyrinth.

The final area that is scattered on the very edge of Hell is the Islands. The Islands are surrounded by an ocean of lava and have only one small path to access each from Hell. The Islands are the equivalent to the Mountains in terms of progression, and the Shoreline in terms of location, but the difficulty is greater than both Hell and the Mountains.

Each monster here acts as a boss monster. The Islands have 12 monsters, none of which being quest monsters. Two dungeons can be found on the Islands, Tartarus and [NAME].

There are many Event Bosses and Set-Piece Bosses unique to the Underworld. However, these have yet to be created.

THE PATH TO ONYX

Once the players kill all Set-Piece Bosses that are required for closing the Underworld the Realm closes for five minutes. In this time Charon will randomly spawn on one of the Islands. The players have five minutes to follow the quest indicator to Charon, deliver Charonā€™s Obol to him, and fight him. Charonā€™s Obol acts like a Wine Cellar Incantation, but activates a boss instead of a dungeon. These can be found as a drop from any monster on the Islands, any Event Boss in the Underworld, and any dungeon boss in the Underworld.

If Charon is defeated within five minutes the players will be moved to the Styx after the remaining time is up. If not the players will be sent to the Nexus and this message will appear. ā€œThe power of the Darkness is overwhelming. You would have been killed if it werenā€™t for the Light.ā€ The Styx is a static dungeon that is similar to the Haunted Cemetery in that there are waves of enemies, but not on the playerā€™s command. The Styx is a large boat-like structure in the middle of evil liquid that is assaulted by flying monsters.

Players cannot leave the boat even by teleportation. After twenty rounds the players are sent to The Bridge where they spawn on a safe island. A bridge as wide as two player screens side-by-side is connected to the island. After one minute in The Bridge the gate in between the island and bridge shuts to prevent leeching. The Bridge has holes filled with Evil Liquid scattered all over amongst the monsters.

Once the players reach the end of The Bridge there will be a destructible gate similar to what is found in the Deadwater Docks. This gate does not regenerate health, but it has 1,000,000 HP at 0 DEF. This is to prevent players from rushing past and locking others out from moving forwards.

End Note:

Everything past this point has yet to be thought up. Most of the concept has been thought up, but there are many other things needed. I know that is quite disappointing. If I had hoped to complete the idea of the Underworld alone the project would be completed in Early 2018, and even then many things would need to be re-worked as one personā€™s views are much different from the whole community.

If you are willing to dedicate time into working on the Underworld Project please reply saying so. Having a small team of about less than ten people can get this project finished in early 2017 and have better end results than a one-man team.

Sprites, dungeons, monsters, items, stats, and even more concepts. That is the basics in what will be needed. If you have created a dungeon already and would like to implement it into the Underworld Project donā€™t hesitate to ask, there many places with room for improvement. Credit will remain yours if you do choose to include it here.

If you want to help out you will need to provide an example/proof of what you can offer to this project. (Any previous things you have created such as sprites, dungeons, items, or etc. can work too.) Please note that anything you submit is only to show your experience in a particular field and does not need to be apart of the Underworld Project.

A few things were not mentioned in order to keep this post from being extraordinarily long. Some of which can be found in this link, though keep in mind that some things have been changed.

SIDENOTE: Two minor changes to the game other than this is selling backpacks in the Nexus for 250 fame to save a player from having to go to Nexus due to how inconvenient it is to get to the Underworld in the first place. In addition to this, Lucky Djinns and Ent Gods would be removed.

Elder Realms: A Collaborative Effort

at face value, this seems like a pretty good idea. but I would rather that the current realms get worked on over this type of thing for 2 main reasons:

1) every realm in the game needs a computer on the serverā€™s end to be running it. people frequently complain about the small number of realms on each server, but having more open would require more money on DECAā€™s part. ā€˜Underworldā€™ realms would be no different. Since DECA does not seem to want to increase the number of realms running at a time, ā€˜Underworldā€™ realms would have to be implemented at the expense of normal realms, decreasing the amount even further. This would create a ā€˜riftā€™ in the player base; those that play in the underworld and those that play in the normal realm. the game is new-player ***un***friendly enough.

2) Normal realms donā€™t actually have that much in them anyway. Do we really need to create another hard realm when the ones we already have still have so much potential? thereā€™s only 6-7 event dungeons in the whole game! that might seem ā€˜fullā€™, but Shatters is super end-game, LoD is a waste of time, and OTs are messed up because thessal gets steamrolled so hard. The others are ok for most people, but we need more things like that in a realm, thereā€™s only 3-4 of them! as for events that donā€™t have a dungeon, thereā€™s only 3 of those, too. I think the current realms need a lot more work done and things added to them before we consider moving on to a clean slate.

TL;DR, I think youā€™re jumping the gun a little bit.

Do you think the game would benefit having more Gods and mobs? Because honestly I was working on some sprites for some new mobsā€¦

Also @JawsJakt I think having a OP Realm like the underworld would be neat. But what if there was a small chance it would open up randomly on a server, rather then fighting a boss for it in a portal? That would save Deca that server space right? Of course the project would need some work and stuff, but that seems like it could realistically work i think.

Soā€¦ what you are saying is that we donā€™t need an Elder Realms. Well, I agree that the current game has plenty of potential as it is, but here is an idea for solid end game content like Kabam promised. Shatters is end-game right now, but in the future it could end up as a mid-game dungeon with everything before it even lower. Well, perhaps nothing that substantial, but Iā€™m sure you understand what I mean by that.

With Pets and the inability to remove/nerf them Elder Realms is a concept that fits in. I doubt Kabam meant to have the current content with the overpowered pets. I believe that they had plans to create an Elder Realms to complement pets, but just never got around to it.

I donā€™t think the servers will be an issue, with technology advancing as it is I guarantee that it will be a valid option in the future besides, weā€™ve had many servers in the past. It canā€™t be too far off now.

That would have been a wise move, but I donā€™t think that was ever on the table for Kabam. WildShadow are the only people who ever even made mention of Elder Realms, and even then it was mostly just a vague concept.

ā€œHoping for the bestā€ isnā€™t a smart business model.

And people put money into stocks and gamble.

Iā€™m disappointed in how everyone here so far is focused on the servers. It isnā€™t close to the main point of this post. Yeah, I understand that without the servers you canā€™t have this idea altogether, but everyone makes it seem like more of an issue than it really is.

Among the many solutions to this is upgrading RotMG to a better platform. Before anything of this size were to be added updating the platform should be the priority. If DECA doesnā€™t upgrade, then Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll realize how much of a mistake it was not to later on in development.

Also, I donā€™t know how accurate this is, but you can take a look at it regardless.

I forget who said it or where I saw it, but I remember someone making the point that Elder Realms would quickly become considered the main part of the game, when itā€™s meant to be the endgame. Whoever it was also made the point that the the playerbase would be divided between the players that were in Elder Realms and the players that were in normal Realms. Basically, I dislike Elder Realms for those reasons, plus things like @Xaklorā€™s argument about server costs.

I do like the execution of this one, though. Itā€™s not a basic ā€œreskin enemies, make them tougherā€ sort of thing, and actually has some new ideas to it.

I fully agree. To see the playbase entirely split up isnā€™t something I like too much, (Hopefully I donā€™t get hate for saying thisā€¦) but it happens in every successful MMO. There needs to be more room for the players. My suggestion to this if it were to be implemented is to keep all events such as the holiday events in the Overworld. It would give more reason to stay in the Overworld.

Something like that has been brought up before, but I donā€™t think it would work well unfortunately. We wouldnā€™t want to have new players in a hostile place like the Underworld now would we? I also believe that there should not be requirements to enter the Underworld and that it should not be easily accessible, after all it is end-game content.

here let me make it better

TL;DR elderp reams

Me favorites

I agree that this would be very hard to implement. 2017 is probably a stretch. I think that this would take many years to put into the game. I do think this would be super cool and Deca should defiantly add this. :smile:

Iā€™m going to read that small blurry text.

Absolute madman.

Ah, I meant that date as in when the idea would be complete, not when it could be added into the game. Iā€™d assume that it would take a few months to implement if everything was laid out already. Of course that does not take into consideration that there would be bugs and changes, so Iā€™d say about 8 months at most after.

2019 would be the earliest date for this idea to be added into the game. (DECA needs to update the platform too.)

oh yes I definitely think the ideas could be finished in early 2017. In fact I have a couple :wink:

For the mushroom area where you spawn add destructible blocks around the perimeter in order to prevent people from dragging enemies behind them.

Also possibly add already made monsters in as well as new ones. For example, have each island guarded by an ice adept. :smiling_imp:

Also to make it more complex You could add gates that will open after you defeat a boss. Example, find a locked door, go down a different hallway, kill O2, door opens, go through.

This could work! even if itā€™ll take 50 years! :wink:

Quick add in, once the door opens it is unlocked permanently, meaning if you wanted loot from the boos you would have to go in FAST!

I decided to type it instead.

Off Topic Wall of Text How set in stone are the project's and movement's names at this point? To grow faster, the movement needs to make a good first impression, taking advantage of anyone's feeling first exposure to it so a person will want to learn more and believe it could actually offer a possible real solution or they won't bother. But this name, "The Venus Project", rather than encouraging one to listen with an open mind could cause one's antennae to go up, waiting for the crazy, not realistic, 'out of this world' part. I'm guessing the Venus in the Venus Project comes from Jacque being in Venus, Florida, but to any newbie "Venus" means something "out there" on other planet, and I think that makes an easily avoidable bad first impression. The "Venus Project" name doesn't sound serious to me, it sounds childish. Also the name of the movement, "Zeitgeist", is not the only needlessly non-self descriptive (we're wasting valuable exposure time with a mysterious name - losing the opportunity that on each occasion when the name of the organization is mentioned, that in itself could be sending an introduction to a new idea, like if the name were Technology Solves AI' Movement for a sloppy example), but it will also forever tie the movement to what some will call the conspiracy stuff (9/11, religion, etc.) because of your identically name movie Zeitgeist, and this will only distract and alienate from the RBE prize. I was in the 911 Truth Movement and saw up front & personal s0 many who had an instinctively negative visceral reaction to any suggestion that 9/11 was an inside job, that they would hear no more. Also, why alienate those with strong beliefs in their religion? Is it real necessary for us to commence everyone they've been lied to about everything their whole life before introducing a sane alternative to a profit based society when there are no good jobs anymore even in the first world? People are desperate for an alternative and these other things I think are unhelpful distractions to a beginner's introduction to the possibility of another way. Activists for a new system won't get so many bites at the mainstream media exposure apple that we can afford to squander any by tying a hand behind our back with unimportant inconsequential stuff like names and logos. Perhaps if we eliminate these easily changed hurdles, the movement will grow faster and have less fack and debunking charges to respond to. Trust me, I know that responding to 911 debunking charges is a full time job in itself, it's a rabbit hole. Unless we get away from the Zeitgeist movie name, we will be linked to the what people call then 'conspiracy' stuff. Of course, this suggestion should not --- anyway detract from your contribution, Peter. You actually created the movement, right? and probably lots of us learned of --- BECAUSE of your movie's addressing the 'conspiracy' stuff. This is truly only a request for a superficial and easily made change to de-link V.P. and R.B.E with the unrelated items others deem conspiracy and/or non-positive theories. I say --- made because of people's flyers, dvd sleeves, logos, stuff that is printed when needed, can be changed digitally on computers --- existing technology generally available to those who print the stuff (just retyping, or simple editing, right?) and there --- stockpiles of stuff with the current names on it that would be wasted I assume? Thanks in advance for your consideration, and please also address whom you think such a decision as to the movement's name should be made. descriptive (we're wasting valuable exposure time with a mysterious name - losing the opportunity that on each occasion when the name of the organization is mentioned, that in itself could be sending an introduction to a new idea, like if the name were Technology Solves AI' Movement for a sloppy example), but it will also forever tie the movement to what some will call the conspiracy stuff (9/11, religion, etc.) because of your identically name movie Zeitgeist, and this will only distract and alienate from the RBE prize. I was in the 911 Truth Movement and saw up front & personal s0 many who had an instinctively negative visceral reaction to any suggestion that 9/11 was an inside job, that they would hear no more. Also, why alienate those with strong beliefs in their religion? Is it real necessary for us to commence everyone they've been lied to about everything their whole life before introducing a sane alternative to a profit based society when there are no good jobs anymore even in the first world? People are desperate for an alternative and these other things I think are unhelpful distractions to a beginner's introduction to the possibility of another way. Activists for a new system won't get so many bites at the mainstream media exposure apple that we can afford to squander any by tying a hand behind our back with unimportant inconsequential stuff like names and logos. Perhaps if we eliminate these easily changed hurdles, the movement will grow faster and have less fack and debunking charges to respond to. Trust me, I know that responding to 911 debunking charges is a full time job in itself, it's a rabbit hole. Unless we get away from the Zeitgeist movie name, we will be linked to the what people call then 'conspiracy' stuff. Of course, this suggestion should not --- anyway detract from your contribution, Peter. You actually created the movement, right? and probably lots of us learned of --- BECAUSE of your movie's addressing the 'conspiracy' stuff. This is truly only a request for a superficial and easily made change to de-link V.P. and R.B.E with the unrelated items others deem conspiracy and/or non-positive theories. I say --- made because of people's flyers, dvd sleeves, logos, stuff that is printed when needed, can be changed digitally on computers --- existing technology generally available to those who print the stuff (just retyping, or simple editing, right?) and there --- stockpiles of stuff with the current names on it that would be wasted I assume? Thanks in advance for your consideration, and please also address whom you think such a decision as to the movement's name should be made.

Hey there. I think I can provide some ideas and sprites for this project.

My example/Proof of what I can bring to the table

ā€¢ honorable mentions DECA skin contest
ā€¢made original sprite for hands of shaitan
ā€¢can somewhat do digital art
ā€¢called sprite God by you
ā€¢won eggciting eggstravanza or something
ā€¢ā€¢other stuff