What is [...]? [removed unofficial server name]

here’s another reason why pservers are bad

im not trying to take away peoples fun away, but the fact that they find that fun from stolen content feels like someone having fun kicking a puppy. sure, they might enjoy it but it feels wrong to let them continue.

No

The point is good. But didnt you have any other better example?

not really just woke up tired from last night

dot

Easy to say principles are more important than money when it’s not your money being spent.

In another context I might have agreed with you, but here I don’t really see the point of doing this. There are better causes to invest money into than mildly inconveniencing a bunch of skiddies.

Look, I’m not ignoring your posts, but it’s really difficult to take any of what you’re saying into account when it’s all vague and subjective.

If you’ve been farming RotMG for years then anything even slightly different is going to feel like a breath of fresh air. There are also improvements to RotMG that are a lot easier to implement in a separate, small server where everyone starts fresh. For example it would be much easier to implement more ways to spend your Fame on a pserv because it would be much easier to control how much fame everyone has and how fast they can gain more.

I’m also not completely disregarding the possibility that there might be a well-designed event or dungeon buried somewhere underneath all the dumb bullshit.

What you have to understand is that pservs are not an actual game and the people who make them or own them are not established companies, and that this makes dealing with them considerably more difficult and risky than just playing the base game.

I like all the obvious shills leaving novels about how great it all is. Reminds me of that trading website and all their accounts.

They don’t have the ability to /give themselves admin items, only items obtainable by other players.

because basically nobody has that role and the people that do have it either quit from boredom or do mainly ppes and play the game on a normal account without the commands.

The monetization isn’t required in any way, i personally haven’t spent any money on it.

All skins are unlocked automatically, character slots can be earned in game by either looting them (not very rare) or you can buy them with fame so they aren’t worth spending gold on.

Keys can be gained by killing a dungeon boss (or chest for shatters) and you can only get a few keys through a mystery box with gold.

Basically the only thing people that spend gold can get over normal players is a different name colour and they can invite like 1-2 more people into their party.

The fact that relatively nobody donates and they need to pay a monthly fee to keep the servers up.

Sure, they can take a bit right now, but they’ll have to pay it back into the game later to keep the server up and stable.

Not to mention, they payed out of pocket for quite a while to keep the server up for people to play on.

It’s the biggest private server, they’re literally remaking the client to make sure they don’t die in 2020, putting all of that work into the server and then just scrapping it and leaving with the money would turn a ton of their friends against them.

I haven’t.

… for hosting a private server and producing content for it that you enjoy, I don’t think anybody that’s given them money is in the wrong considering how much work they’ve put into the game and the money they’ve spent to keep the project alive for so long, I’ve personally been following it for quite a while (back when it was literally just XP farms and an elite realm-type thing), they’ve done a ton of work on it.

But they haven’t, they’ve been up for like a year now (current version, older versions were much older), I honestly don’t think they’re going to take off or scam anyone considering how much content they’re working on.

Just a week ago they released an entire new raid-like dungeon with like 7 bosses, they aren’t just gonna take off.

The money they “gain” isn’t going straight into their pocket, they have expenses too, they have to pay for the servers and they have to put a ton of work into it.

Exactly! People are going to these servers because they provide the entertainment they can no longer get from prod.

Deca isn’t nintendo, suing all of these private servers would take way too much money from them, they’d have to stop working on new content for the games they own currently and potentially lay people off.

I’d like to see them come after all of those corner-side shops. it would be too hard to get the personal info of all of these private server owners, and it would cost way too much to take every single one down, even then people would just keep making new ones and people would just flock to the next big one.

How? they don’t have a giant testing base, if they add something and it needs to be fixed they fix it.

??? that analogy is absurd.

Except for the fact that it really isn’t hurting Deca, they aren’t taking away any noticeable amount of revenue and prod still has way more players than literally every pserver combined.

We enjoy them so we must be shills!

I only came here and started responding because of the comments saying all pservers need to be terminated ASAP, as if they’re worth the time and money at all compared to investing in fixing the root cause of them, stale and boring content.

That’s exactly the problem with selling admin commands: either you’re giving some players the means to completely ruin the game for everyone else or you’re just giving them all the cheat codes and they stop using them 5 minutes later because they’re getting bored.

I thought we were talking about pservs in general, not just this one?

Also if those “friends” can’t actually do anything other than rage in front of their computers if shit goes south, that’s not exactly a huge restriction.

Okay, then why would you defend other people giving them money?

That’s not contradicting anything I say. Just because trusting random strangers didn’t end horribly for you this one time doesn’t mean it’s a smart thing to do.

Also doesn’t change the fact they’re continuing to use stolen code instead of actually making their own game.

Again: how do you know any of this? How is this whole thing sustainable if they’re not getting any money out of it? Why would you support people who are content keeping up some shitty server with stolen assets for all eternity instead of actually committing to a full-time job making and maintaining their own game?

Seriously, I’m not shilling for Deca here: you guys could be funding the next Hollow Knight or the next Path of Exile.

That’s why they stopped selling P4 (the role we’re talking about), only the people who have it can have it, nobody else can get it anymore.

I thought you were directly responding to the picture that was posted (selling /give), that’s only for one specific server.

Many of the people that are working on it are friends, they haven’t gained nearly enough money for them to all split it and take off and if only one guy takes it he loses all of those friends and his reputation is gone.

Because it’s their money and they can spend it in any way they please, if they want to support these pserver devs then they can.

I was specifically talking about the picture that was posted earlier,

That’s for the current largest pserver, the one that was being talked about when you said they sell admin commands.

Im not talking about any other smaller pservers, although the (second largest, I believe) has been good about donations for the entire time they’ve been up.

And? Im not saying they aren’t, that’s literally what a pserver is, this isn’t specific to rotmg in any way.

That’s their appeal, it’s rotmg but it’s quite different, it’s still rotmg but with tons of different new content.

Have you ever heard of a “passion project” ? not to mention they’re getting more experience both running a game and coding for the game.

It doesn’t have to be all about money, many of the people that work on them are in school, and others use up all of their free time to work on it because they enjoy the game and enjoy the community that’s formed within it.

People don’t tend to support servers they think are “shitty”, that’s your opinion about the server, many people enjoy the server a lot.

Making a new game straight from scratch is hard, using rotmg’s code and adding their own content is much easier and allows them to get better at both running a game and coding for it.

Many of them are also still in school, whether that be college or high school, it wouldn’t be feasible for most of them to straight up start from nothing.

Or we could fund what we enjoy, I personally find (the pserver) more than either of those games.

After making their own new client they can start changing the remnants of the base game that remain in their server, just a week ago, along with the new raid-like dungeon, they reskinned and reworked a ton of items and even their “rune” system.

There’s a lot better pservers than not saying name it’s name … It’s a very terrible example

Niegil’s post was “this is why pservers are bad” so I thought it was a general discussion with some examples.

If an actual company tries to fuck you over, they can get sued and potentially lose a ton of money, not to mention all the PR damage.

If one of those guys fucks you over, they might lose some of their highschool friends.

These two things are not even remotely on the same level.

And again: how do you know all of this? Did your parents not tell you not to trust random strangers on the internet?

Because if that’s the case then I have a few Nigerian friends I’d like to present to you. Might even have one or two bridges left in Brooklyn you might be interested in.

How is it a passion project if they’re being lazy about it and taking the easiest route?

Also how does one get better at running games and coding for them by stealing someone else’s code and getting their playerbase to come over? How does one improve their skills as a developer and community manager by working on a small Flash-based pserver for years?

Where did I claim to have any control over how anyone other than myself spends their money?

At no point did I tell you what you can and cannot do. That’s not the point. The point is that just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.

lol, no idea what game we’re actually talking about. I have a solid guess but am not certain

Nor is the overall amount there is to lose even close, so what like 8 people that paid 400 bucks get screwed and everyone else that spent money loses 10 bucks.

Yes, because you Nigerian princes are totally just as believable as some people going to school or having jobs.

Them going to fucking school isn’t that unbelievable, you don’t have to think every single thing is a lie just because you “don’t trust strangers”

Go play is for a minute and look around, there is a ton of added stuff.

Again, as I said, it literally just isn’t possible for most of them to just straight up make their own entire game from fucking nothing, it’s not them just being “lazy” they’re doing what’s actually possible for them.

pservers, again, aren’t a fucking 1:1, go look at some of the popular ones, there’s a ton of new content, hell the biggest one we have right now straight up redid the base dungeons (UDL, abyss, sprite).

Alright, why should anyone support Deca? If it doesn’t require any fucking work or planning to balance items and dungeons, and other content in general.

There’s a lot more to it than just paying for a fucking server.

I didn’t say you did, you asked why I defend people spending their money on these servers and I said that it’s their money and their choice, where did I claim you had any control over them or their money?

And I didn’t say you said that.

“well just because you can rape and murder someone” is completely different than “well you can support the person developing a game (pserver) that you enjoy”

Im personally talking about the one that starts with an [redacted].

[Edit: removed pserver ‘clue’ name. -Nevov]

How very dare you. How very very dare you.

[Edit: censorship! -Nevov]

It’s very different when there’s a physical product concerned. Inventory can be seized, imports can be stopped, manufacturers can be put under pressure. Generally how easy this is varies from country to country, but it’s possible to block products from import to places like the EU, US with strong copyright laws. And because physical inventory has value any action to stop it hits the company making it very hard, can cause losses they can’t recover from.

My point was that it’s completely different where digital products are concerned. First there’s very little you can do to stop them on the Internet today. You need only look at illegal filesharing of movies, tv programmes. The efforts of billion dollar companies, governments and ISPs in the UK (where I am) have made little difference.

Second the cost of distributing digiial content is zero. This means not only is there nothing worth seizing, but even if they could be closed down others can start up soon after using the same software. Again look at illegal filesharing; when one site is closed down such as the Pirate Bay others just spring up.

You know what, no thanks.

:thinking:

So every scam is okay as long as you’re not the one being scammed. Right. Got it.

My point is that you’re taking them at their word all the time without any proof or means of verification. That’s exactly the kind of attitude you should not have on the internet.

Yes, making your own game in your spare time is completely impossible. That’s why Cave Story and Undertale don’t exist.

You’re the one who used the term “passion project” and then talked about how it was “easier” to make a pserv than an actual game.

By definition a passion project is the opposite of looking for the easier or more profitable route. What you’re saying is inherently self-contradictory.

Still doesn’t change the fact that they stole the code of RotMG to use as base. Something you admitted yourself in this thread.

Because they’re an actual company working full-time on the game and not a bunch of random people who may or may not be able to keep working on their server?

Then why were you talking about how people can spend their money on pservs?

I never said it was impossible, I’m simply questioning the reasoning behind such a choice.

If you’re going to respond to me then actually respond to what I’m saying.

Same thing here: where did I say anything about murder and rape? You do realize the phrase “Just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should” can apply to quite literally anything, right?

Oh so that’s why he’s being so defensive, he’s covering his own ass as much as he’s covering theirs.

Honestly everyone in this thread defending pservs (mainly HK tho) is just covering their asses. Like how people who hack say “well I don’t have a specific stance on hacking it doesn’t affect me…”

I’m not sure I understand you

I never say deca should to sue or try to have these people arrested. Merely that this is wrong

also

So which is it then

should they be worried about deca suing them or is it just not worth it?

I never said Deca needs to seek legal action, should or even is going to. To reiterate I’m merely saying why its wrong and factually illegal.

though now I am confused because you have given conflicting statements, are you trying to suggest that if something might be hard to stop its ok for someone to do it? I say this because this is the second responce you have given me and its the exact same as the last in telling me how hard stopping anyone would be

but you also seem to believe deca will sue them and they should be worried