What is [...]? [removed unofficial server name]

Another thing to keep in mind here is that most, if not all of the money made from this has gone to the server owner in the past, and likely still does. The contributors get just about nothing out of it.

re1

re2

re3

People spend their money and time on private servers. Because they still love RotMG, but the official servers can not give new experience, or stopped giving. Players simply have no choice. People are not interested in type updates “New chest event - wow!!”
Private servers usually do not have too much activity. In this regard, work on servers is easier, updates can be regular and varied. New content may be regular. With this, private servers bribe players, thereby luring players and their money.

This. I’m pretty sure we can all agree that DECA has been neglecting the demands of the community pretty damn hard lately. People are desperate to play something that has something to bring to the table besides chest events and actually updates frequently.

Haven’t seen you around recently :thinking:

Welcome back…? :slight_smile:

Hi…? Sorry, don’t remember you. Been a while since I last posted on the forums.

“pservers don’t make any profit”

“yes they do, here’s proof”

“that’s not that much money come on”

That’s okay, I’m pretty forgettable tbh :sweat_smile:

Onto the topic at hand…

^ this. In my humble opinion if you make a private server then you should be paying for it from your own money. If/once ~insert biggest pserver here~ remake their server on unity or whatever they’re planning they’d be pretty justified in making money off of it, but right now, no.

Also Niegil, on that post on the profit they make off of their donations, das a lot of profit! That’s not “just enough money to barely keep the servers up” as a certain someone keeps claiming.

That’s just the amount from the “premium 4” people. The complete tally, based on Niegil’s post, is:

4575+3325+10650+20100=38,650$

Almost 40k.

The highest fee on PayPal is 5%. 5% of 38,650 is 1932.5.

So even after the fee, you’d still have 36,717$ and 50c.

If Pepus’ figure of 30$/month for server costs is accurate, that’s another 360$.

The owner would still have 36,357$ and 50c left, for mostly stolen code that he works on during his spare time (meaning he more than likely has other sources of revenue).

Now, @HorusKane, I’m not saying these numbers are 100% certain, but between the guy who keeps making baseless assertions and the guy who posts information to back his position up, I find it easier to believe the latter.

Again, go look at it, the specific one server we’re talking about here, the only thing that was taken from prod is the base code and sprites/names, most of the dungeons are either new or have been changed drastically (only shatters and LH are basically the same that I know of, LH is a bit different as it’s LH 1.0 MBC and it’s only the boss fight.)

where do you get those numbers from? I haven’t been able to find a way to search for users based on roles, I was going based on the idea they had only 17 P4’s as of now, as that’s what I was told by a friend of mine (a P1)

After looking into this apparently it is available, I remember them announcing its removal a couple months ago, they re-added it a little bit after and never announced it, I was wrong about this.

I had based my version of their earnings on the 200-300 people that are usually online, most of them being P1, and using my figure of 17 p4’s based on my what a friend of mine had told me a little while a go, making my guess on the amount of money pretty faulty, sorry for that.

fraudulent payments and refunds would get the people banned, they wouldn’t be included along with the people in his list, if it’s accurate.

Online right now there are 2 people within the development team and 3 people in the design team, not just a single person working part time.

the money backed up will pay for it, with how much money they got from my guesstimate alone they would be able to keep the server up for a while, although that money might end up getting more spread out if they decide to have multiple servers open (it’d be nice, as events would last more than 2 seconds) (wink wink I see you mike :wink: )

that’s the problem with this thread, it isn’t sub-rotmg, it’s pretty close, more people keep getting drawn into it as they get bored with prod, the problem here isn’t that pservers exist it’s that prod isn’t giving people the experience they want, they aren’t getting any fun out of prod anymore.

I had based my assertions on what I could see and what I had been told, the numbers Niegil has aren’t available to anybody who wants them (atleast based on what I found), you need to have high-ish perms to get those numbers, those numbers weren’t available to me.

How would Niegil get his hands on “those numbers” then if he isn’t even a part of their community :thinking:

Wtf no this isnt inappropriate I’m just saying you’re arguments seem to be very wrong in light of recent evidence

It’s so fun seeing how the people shilling pservers got destroyed lmao

Why would I? Do you really think that after years of bullshit coming from that community I would have any interest in joining it? Do you really think that yelling at me is going to make me change my mind?

And just like that, all of these people’s credibility is gone.

And since none of that translates to you posting proof on here, from our perspective everything you say is baseless at best, regurgitated lies you’ve been fed at worst.

It’s a bit baffling to think you could have gone on this long without realizing something this simple.

EDIT: also, reading ArexRew’s post I’m reminded of what you previously said:

A minimum wage job brings about 15k/year in revenue for someone who works full-time (40h/week every week). Contrast this with almost 40k for an unspecified amount of part-time hours.

fam uh i didn’t say that that was hk

I think he was implying Horus there, not you

You don’t need to join it to look at it, just go look at a youtube video.

“why would I” ? you’re saying they’re just using stolen code with basically no changes to it, that’s objectively false, After getting numbers I had no access to I admitted I was wrong, these youtube videos don’t require you have admin/mod to obtain, it’s much easier for you to correct your false statement than mine.

Oh no! they use 1 dungeon as it is currently in prod and another changed a bit from an old version! the horror! that must mean everything else is also just a rehost 1:1 of prod!

Not claiming it was proof, I was basing it on the numbers I had available to me, I don’t have admin on their discord so I don’t have access to the numbers niegil posted.

As I said before, I was basing it on numbers actually available to me, they were wrong, Im not attempting to be dishonest with the numbers I had, they were the best I could get with the numbers I had.

and that post was from before I got numbers from Niegil, the numbers I had originally were a bit less than 10K, I admitted that I was wrong after being corrected with actual numbers (again, I didn’t have access to these numbers at that point).

I admitted I was wrong about my numbers, even so the second largest doesn’t get nearly as much as the largest and any of them other than those have practically no active users (maybe 20 each, and there is a major overlap)

And Im not really wrong about it being innefficient compared to working a job, the one we were talking about had been up for quite a long while with basically no players, they payed out of pocket for the server and worked on it in their free time for over a year before it got nearly as big as it is.

Lets say it was up for 2.5 years total (I’m pretty sure it’s been up for a little longer than that) they would’ve made just about the same amount working a full time job, it would’ve been better for them overall as they had to run the server for a long while with practically no players and next to no donations to keep the servers up, they had to keep it running out of pocket for a long while for it to get to the point it’s at.

And I repeat myself, if Niegil doesn’t play on that server why does he have ‘admin’ on the discord?

>pservs make money and they therefore in essence steal money from deca, since their content is essentially stolen from deca’s property
you: “yeah well they actually dont profit so its all ok”
niegil: "actually they make quite a bit of profit

>so this is actually a problem what with the revenue redirection
you: “yeah well its not much”
>40k usd

Because it’s Niegil?
He’s pretty much a big meme on many Rotmg communities, so I wouldn’t be surprised if people put him at a higher rank than others just because he’s Niegil.

I don’t really know what to think of the pservers. Sure, they are detrimental to Deca because they make a ton of money off unofficial servers using around 25-30% of stolen code.

However, they are a good way for players to experience something different, once they get bored of the actual game. We all have those periods where we get bored and either wait for new content or simply leave for a while, these times when Rotmg simply isn’t fun to play anymore.

For me, pservers were a way to keep playing rotmg, but with new things to discover, new dungeons to explore and new bosses to learn and master. I’d usually play a bunch on the official game, then go to the pserver when I’ve had enough of the official game, and that would let me have the most fun out of rotmg.

TL:DR : pservers are bad for Deca (and somewhat moraly because of the way they manage their massive incomes) but they are good for old players.

I don’t even know if he’s a part of the discord, I just really don’t think you need special priorities to find the data he did, which was my point. I didn’t phrase it well, I guess.