Woven Kelp Armor

#

Woven Kelp Armor

Thanks for @Curlip for the sprite!

Thanks to @Proasdfase and @IAmShurima for taking a look over it and giving suggestions!

Mystical Kelp Entwined together, the tremendous regeneration ability is something of awe!
Intro

So as many of you know, the leather armor classes are currently missing its “bulky” version, like the CC/geb/soulless. I’ve seen many boring armor ideas with basically an armor with like 20 def, with some very minor other stats. So thus, I made my version! I went the notorious drop location, the Ghost Ship!

It’s not like CC, where it basically trumps tiered if u don’t need to damage enemies. This is sometimes better, but requires skill (like all my item ideas, lol).

####Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • Stat Bonus: +23 DEF, +30hp, +3 Dex
  • Special properties:

When you get damaged by a shot, after 0.5 seconds, you lose 1 defense for 3 seconds. Maximum defense able to lose at once is 23.

The amount of Def loss would be indicated by a number like status effects are.

If/when you switch armor, you still have the defense loss.

• Fame Bonus: 5/6%
  • Feed Power: 800

####Drops From:

• Ghost Ship(a more common event ut)

#

More Info
Basic/Stats

If you don’t get it: So lets say, you get hit by 2 shots, then 1 second later, you get hit by
another 3 shots. In 2 seconds, you would have regenerated back 2 def, then in one second, you regen back the other three def.

At first glance it may seem not very good since lots of times you could end up armor breaking yourself with this armor (eg. Coral bombs). So thus, I will explore lots of different situations below.

Included the Hp boost in case you mess up, and end up getting hit a lot (resulting in low defense), at least
the hp can help you! The reason its 30 hp is because i wanted it to be symmetrical to the other stats…

The dex value there was added very late in the idea, it’s there so this won’t purely be a defensive armor, but one that can be used in anything situation that you can get hit by less shots. Although at one point I wanted to create a separate armor for the dex value instead of defense. However, it still has less than tiered.

Something to note: this is meant as a more swap-out kind of playing style, used only in certain situations (mainly when you get shotgunned, or when using a hit-and-run technique, explained a lot more heavily below), unless you are just very skilled at dodging. I was considering actually make this effect with dex, b/c when your good at dodging, you dont need def, but it still has some niche uses.

Why is it Kelp:

So, there is a form of seaweed called, “Macrocystis pyrifera”. It is often referred to as giant kelp or giant bladder kelp. They may grow to more than 45 metres (150 feet) long at a rate of as much as 60 cm (2 ft) per day.

When someone hits seaweed, with let’s say a spell, it will break some seaweed off/ destroy some of it. Thus, implying the loss of defense. But, the growing rate of this form of kelp, implies that the armor is growing back, thus the defense is growing back

Useless History

this armor was originally called “6-pack” and was a part of the gladiator set I was making (skins already their b/c of the gladiator 16X16 skins, just change it a tiny bit”, but then I slapped myself and asked myself, “Why the fck are you creating another set, you hate sets!”. So I change it. The original effect used to be, “If you were damaged in the last 3//4/5seconds, you would lose 7 defense until you weren’t damaged in the last 3/4/5 seconds”. Blah blah, some random crap. etc.

When balancing the idea, i was thinking of lowering how long the def decrease lasted, Changing the amount of shots to loss

Truth is, after developing this idea so much, i dont like this idea that much.

#

Analysis on different Classes
Assassin

An okay armor to use, although if you prefer mana rather than defense, you would go with harlequin. But, if you prefer a more defensive build (b/c you only need like 1 poison to get sb on O2), then this would generally be a better choice (but also depends on playing style). Since the dex boost in tiered are often un-used.

However, if you get hit by lots of bullets, tiered might be preferred.

Rogue

Generally good if you like playing with a more defensive style, although lots of people seem to prefer more offensive equips on rouge, since the logic is “If you’re getting hit, you’re playing it wrong”. But I personally like this armor on rogues due to when you uncloaking, you often get hit by many bullets (if you don’t retreat out early, often used more in things like abysses and glands). After you cloak, you shouldn’t be getting hit by bullets, thus you can regen your armor back! Very ideal for some playing styles.

Trickster

To use this armor effect, it too, also depends on your playing style. You can teleport away to retreat, thus allowing your armor to regen. Also, good use of your decoys will allow you to not get hit, and keep maximum armor for when your decoy disappears or when you mess up. Thus, you would lose less HP, in which you can then teleport out of the danger zone. Another use, is when you accidently tp onto an enemy, although it won’t save your life most times, it’ll still help sometimes. This is especially true because of the 0.5 second delay. Is not hurt too much by the dex loss.

Archer/Hunt

Generally, you wouldn’t need more defense, because these classes are one the safest classes b/c of their range vs. defense ratio. Most game play things here are explained in the general game play. However, since you have such a high range, you can dodge projectiles more easily, thus this armor could be quite useful.

Ninja

So, this is quite interesting. Ninja is regarded as the squishiest class. Although, this armor isn’t necessarily good for it, since ninja often gets hit by lots of projectiles. But, if you have mastered the ninja playing style, which involves the dodging, this can be useful. However, if you don’t get hit, defense itself isn’t very useful. The decrease in offensive is not a big deal for the ninja

#

Situations
Shatters

I would say it’s generally very advantageous. When you die, or have to nexus, its generally from lots of damage at once (sitting on stone mage, ice sphere, fire bombs, something cornering you?), which is what this armor excels at. Also, usually people drag one by one, thus you have plenty of time to regen your armor. Dirty Shatters it’s not as great, but pretty close to it.

Tomb

ehh, its ok, the massive amount of shots will make it hard for you to stay at max defense. Also, many things armor pierce/break in the tomb. However, if you’re okay at dodging, you can easily dodge bullets. Thus, allowing you to save defense for when you sit on one of the bosses/when boss rages at you. Also useable b/c of the massive amounts of space for you to regen defense, especially in rage phases.

Glands

Its generally ok, but it depends heavily on the class, which is talked about more in the class analysis.

UDL/Snake/Abyss/Puppet/Sprite/Sewer Rushing:

not optimal due to the massive amount of shots you receive along the way while you rush. Although can save you from a super dangerous room in abysses, lair traps in udls.

36 Idea Concepts by Scorchmist

Hmm. Interesting concept but I probably suck too much to use it, however it’s + 6/7 Def from the normal armors so don’t get hit too much and it’s pretty nice if you need more defence. And hey, as a swap out it looks like it’ll work pretty well

tbh I would probably take csilk as I put UBHP / Ring of Decades on most chars anyway which is defence enough for me.

fixed

oh oops…
its format kept breaking when transferring from notepad/word/ to here.[quote=“Aiaiaiai, post:2, topic:6074”]
tbh I would probably take csilk as I put UBHP / Ring of Decades on most chars anyway which is defence enough for me.
[/quote]

yeah its a armor that’s based alot on your preference. i didnt want it to be overpowered like other event whites (jugg)

Heh yeah exactly others would probably find more use in it, especially as a swapout like you mentioned

Because I have so much to say, I’m just going to make a bullet list.

• Firstly, I love the item’s aesthetic. It feels unique. Nicely done!
  • The item’s effect is interesting. I simultaneously love and hate it. On one hand, it feels balancing and very interesting. On the other hand, it feels overly complicated. An additional -5 Wis or -3 Att could balance it just as easily.
  • The organization here is amazing. I love how you did everything with the layout.
  • The many analyses included with this idea are a great thing to have! It shows how much thought went into this.

Overall, phenomenal idea! The presentation is great, and the idea itself is original and unique.
9/10.

you wont believe how many times my format died!!![quote=“Atrapper, post:5, topic:6074”]
It shows how much thought went into this.
[/quote]

:heart:[quote=“Atrapper, post:5, topic:6074”]
I love the item’s aesthetic. I
[/quote]

thanks, curlip did it exactly how i imagined!

Man, that must’ve been a pain.
Even with the whole difficulty of styling it, mind if I use that sort of presentation idea for future ideas?

sure go ahead! i will keep on changing my format depending on what i write on it

Cool, thanks!

always trust @Curlip to make the great sprites!

now i dont really play leather armor/hide classes, but i would definitely use this because of the high defense value, then when i get hit till defense drop it 7, i would switch to hydra. kinda like free defense. when the def is regenerated, i’ll put back on the kelp.

why 5/6% tho

i know that this is used for balance purposes, but logically, if u swapped armor, wouldnt the armor break/reduction be completely gone because the new equipped armor is brand new?

you basically answered this yourself…[quote=“Wizybrain, post:10, topic:6074”]
then when i get hit till defense drop it 7, i would switch to hydra. kinda like free defense
[/quote]

wha? when you switch to hydra, you’ll only have 10 def[quote=“Scorchmist, post:1, topic:6074”]
If/when you switch armor, you still have the defense loss.
[/quote]

idk? i dont really care…4, 5 or 6, doesnt matter to me

I guess the defense loss would be a status effect, kinda like a small armor break then?
That would actually open the way for a bunch of interesting mechanics.

i see, i forgot about this :thinking:

oh, i thought u meant it as a fraction, not 5 or 6

i guess you could say that?

although i wouldn’t want it to be effected by purify[quote=“JonassMann, post:12, topic:6074”]
That would actually open the way for a bunch of interesting mechanics.
[/quote]

yes it would

i forgot to add this,[quote=“Scorchmist, post:1, topic:6074”]
The amount of Def loss would be indicated by a number like status effects are.
[/quote]

Also, small typo with the hp stat

oh thanks

cool original idea

too much in my opinion…

https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/hydra-skin-armor + 17 def, +5 dex
https://www.realmeye.com/wiki/mantle-of-skuld + 12 def + 35 (combined) hp and mp

think about this for a sec scorchy borchy

Considering how quickly you can lose def I think that number is pretty fair.
Any lower than that and the item would be pretty much useless.

i admit, i orignally had like 22.

But its not too big of a deal, since

• its a event ut
  • most defensive leather tend to put themselves at 20def with very minimal other stat changes.
  • you tend to get hit a lot, even if u dont, this armor is useless, b/c u dont need def!