Balance Changes & Dungeon Cap Update [X.32.7.0]

xpost from https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/f9sm8y/balance_changes_dungeon_cap_update/

Lost Halls, Why It's Bad for the Game, and Possible Solutions
Valentine's Heart still speaks [now fixed]
Equipment stats not comparing correctly [now fixed]
Mask disguise effect still works [now fixed]
Patch 32.5.0
If you care [some questions from a returning player]
Event white classification
Trivial Issues Thread

@Kalitaio

nooooooooooo

(moved into #news:developers-corner)

Patch Notes graphic from the main menu:

This update makes me very happy; potentially lower pot drop rates from LH? Ability tier progression that doesn’t leave some items way more useful than others? A market that isn’t completely flooded with WC tops? All good news to me.

Just gonna %-post my comment on the reddit post here.

I love the drop rates being raised :heart_eyes:

I’m also looking forward to dominions and t13 weapons not being rarer than white bags anymore

I’m a bit indifferent about the tiered weapon and armor changes, on the one hand I like that the weapons are more than just infinitesimal better reskins, on the other hand I think it messes with the UT balance and contributes to power creep.
Maybe Deca should have nerfed the t8-t12 weapons by one tier and kept the difference between t12 and t13 (e.g staves would go t12: 80->77.5 and t13:87.5->85).

The choices of the extra stats on the abilities don’t make sense imo: 90% of the players use a ≥rare pet, so vit and wis are almost entirely meaningless, even on most classes with wis mod. So it would have made sense to give vit/wis to classes that are already strong and other stats to those that aren’t played so often.
But Deca gave the paladin, the argueably strongest class currently, a dex buff, whereas the assassin, which really needs a bit of love, only gets wis.

I also hope that Deca doesn’t cave in to the potential negative feedback to the cap change.

OOC, dearest namer of thine. OOC.
Or just a standalone assassin change.

Danm imagine getting a omni before a bulwark couldnt be meeeeeee

Wait so do loot tier potions still work in getting tops for other locations or no

I imagine this will be the final nail in the loot tier potion’s coffin. a loot tier potion can boost a tiered item tier by up to 3 tiers, but it can’t make items drop from places they normally don’t, meaning that it can only effectively boost up to the max tier that’s normally droppable by the thing you’re fighting. so if you’re fighting O2 and you get a T11 weapon as a drop, the tier potion can turn it into a T12 weapon but not a T13. similarly, if you get a T11 weapon from a mad lab, the potion can’t turn it into a T12. before this patch they were pretty much only ever used in LH to boost WC tops into LH tops to help with the miserable LH top’s drop rates, but if there’s no more WC tops in LH anymore then there’s nothing to boost. I can’t imagine what anyone would use the potions for now, the only thing that comes to mind is O2, but tops are so common from him and so cheap from other players it probably won’t change things much for you.

I agree. iirc the changes were supposed to “give classes more identity” with their tiered abilities, but it looks like they gave only a couple classes interesting stats while slapping vit and wis on everyone else. that doesn’t seem to match up with the supposed reasoning behind it since half the classes have the same stat bonuses as each other, all of which make zero difference at all. they didn’t even give the wis bonuses to the classes that have a wismod on their ability, which are the only ones for which wis matters at all.

Oryx 3 says Hi

you know what, you’re right. next time I decide to go fight O3 I will remember to bring loot tier potions for sure

In which case this one idea from the feedback channel might bee the vampire that brings it back from the dead:

Admittedly this’ll only come way after Unity gets released, probably…

For Spells it makes some sense, at least - lil’ extra spammability.
Though I personally found it rather weird that an item would boost itself when equipped, kinda leaves you wondering “wait but it said it did 400 when hovered over but it actually deals 408?”
…or, uh, somefin like that. It just kinda feels more natural to have to rely on other equips in order to maximize your own playstyle, and otherwise the base amount of damage on the weapon could bee increased rather than giving it a loose multiplier.
That said I guess this does mean that all those UT Scepters with +2 wisdom will now seem a lil’ stronger, huh…
Though I defs agree with the main point, just going w boring wis and vit on classes that could’ve gotten something cooler…speed on prisms, att on poisons, dexterity on orbs- wait, hol up, OOC already does that.

Nest didn’t need the potion nerf, very few people run it outside of events anyway. Everything else is okay.

fuck yeah

fuck yeah

both FUCK YEAH! and disappointing, dungeons have more white drops but I feel that event whites are the ones that really needed a boost

hopefully we see a change to that, as running the realm is pretty much my favourite activity in prod.

atleast the top item drop rate boost will get me to actually run LH

first lh after buff to drop rates

very intrigued to see how many more omnis there will be on players

Hearing this news… it gives me hope

Loot tiers never affected LH tops (or at least I’m pretty sure they never did).

That’s why they were garbage.

OOC? Out of Combat?

It’s delusional to think that cutting divine pets down to rare would possibly help a class so heavily reliant on mana.

As usual Seelpit just likes everything Deca does that nerfs.

My first impressions of the update are bad. The idea to limit the player cap is a vacuum decision that seems good on paper, but it’s just not going to solve problems.

1. Pub Halls. I saw plenty of players swarm to get into lost halls only to become upset that they didn’t make it in. Deca shouldn’t underestimate the frustration factor and a lot of the players may just decide to log off when they were faced with the frustration. In addition, the one void I made it into (which was a big challenge) ended up failing. I anticipate this will be an issue going forward and the discords may need to actively screen out players to ensure runs go smoothly.

There’s a lot that remains to be seen. The amount of players jumping out of discord and going into realms doesn’t appear to have changed as a result of the update. In addition, events in ROTMG have long needed some tweaking. It is possible the dungeon cap will make people frustrated and log off rather than try and participate in events.

Ultimately, I think ROTMG needs more players. Cutting down the amount of players participating in activities is a tactical decision that is very difficult to execute.

It’s not unreasonable for a player to become frustrated with zooming into a bazaar at the speed of light. That player becomes frustrated and doesn’t do halls. Eventually the player stops playing.

The problem is the discord overlord has grown so big that cutting it down will result in hard feelings. There’s really no great way to tackle this issue.

It would be nice if people were willing to do sentry halls but the culture of realm is so discord centered now I just have to say that this will be an overall negative change.