Helm of the Tenebrous Champion

Helm of the Tenebrous Champion

png-rendered-20201211-135955 (thank you Dino)

A helmet retrieved from the colosseum champion. Due to this mighty fighter’s power of encouraging his underlings, it can bring forth one of the same obelisks to stimulate allies in the same way.

Tier UT
MP Cost 200
On Equip +16 Def
Effect(s)

Summon a Tenebrous Obelisk for 10 seconds

Obelisk Effect: After 1.5 seconds of being activated grant image Speedy within 1(?) tiles on group (only grants speedy on the same exact tile)

Speedy lasts for 10 seconds once affected by it.

Cannot be placed within 20 sqrs of the Quest Enemy

Cooldown 10 seconds
XP Bonus 6%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 950

After being summoned it does this animation: obelisk2BIG%20(1)
and then loops this one until it despawns:obelisk2BIG

It’s worth noting that the area of effect is square-shaped. It goes 3 squares every direction and draws a square based on that, if that makes sense.
The range of effect is now only the same exact tile where it is placed.

With this item, I tried going for something a bit different. I feel like I’m stepping in forbidden territory because Speedy on allies is something that was in the game but was removed due to people being boosted when they didn’t expect it and that resulted in death. It’s one of those things that is usually looked at negatively when trying to make an item with it because of its potential to make other’s life harder. Even so, there’s always a good side to it but it gets overshadowed by its negative consequences.

What I tried to do with this item was to take the negative side out of speedy on allies and only offer the positive side. This of course means that it has some limitations.

The way it works is: it runs a check of say, 8 sqrs (square-shaped area too) and sees if there are any enemy entities (invincible or not).
If there are, it doesn’t spawn the tower. If there are not, it spawns it. This is to prevent people from spawning an obelisk where there is enemy fire and you are negatively affected by such an effect. Instead, you can only spawn it in safe places and those that want the boost can step in the area and get speedy for 10 seconds, which is long enough to get you to rush to the parts with enemies and past them.

The obelisks are unable to be summoned within 20 sqrs of the quest marker. This means no obelisks during boss fights or close to enemy encounters in the realm. You now have to walk over the obelisk too, to get speedy. It can now be placed anywhere else, in dungeons or not. This should give it more utility in general.
The obelisk flashes for 1.5 seconds before granting speedy too, so those few that happen to be on top of it when its summoned can just move 1 tile to the side and not be affected.

This also prevents spawning obelisks in arenas like Court dungeons, where it can be detrimental to have speedy due to the limited space; and during boss fights.

The 1.5 seconds before it activating is to give enough time for whoever is in the radius to get out of it if they don’t want to be inflicted by Speedy, when it is successfully placed.

The realm is the only place that allows for it to be placed anywhere to prevent forever respawning enemies everywhere from disabling you of putting down an obelisk (it’s also the only place where you can activate a Speed Effusion). Here, the 3 seconds should give you enough time to get out of its radius if you dont want the boost since theres a lot of place to wander. You won’t have the same problem as in dungeon where movement is limited by the arena.

I came up with this idea when I was doing some Lost Halls and there was a Speedy Tower. Despite speedy supposedly being a negative effect due to being unexpected (in old Helms), people were backtracking to get affected by speedy before going back to clearing the next room. Speedy is not only a fun status effect but useful too and the way I tried to go with this item was to give the ability to place a Speedy Eye of Marble but anywhere you want as long as there are no enemies super close, without disabling the ability of allies that do not want Speedy to not be inflicted by it.

It’s also fun just imagining a horde of organized players rushing together with speedy. Really makes you think of an actual army.

Leave your feedback below. I’d love to know if you guys like it or despise it. Nevertheless, it was fun coming up with it.

Is it intended to drop as a white bag? If so, what level of dungeon difficulty? (I’m assuming something between court of oryx-endgame level dungeon)

It’s indeed intended to drop as a white bag, yes. I’m thinking of a Court of Oryx dungeon the same difficulty as HTT or a bit harder since it will feature 1 main boss in an arena-like dungeon. It’s still all WIP in my head tho.

Ok! I do think it is a neat idea. It doesn’t seem overpowered but it definitely has its uses.

too difficult to use, too little usage, I can’t see anyone using this over a tiered helm. O3 Raids where people want to rush to events faster? ehhh. people would spread out in that case. I wouldn’t carry an extra helm where I could carry an hp pot for only 10 seconds of group-help. Snake eye ring also exists, and it seems to difficult and annoying to work with imo

Group speedy’s a bad idea, regardless of whether or not there are enemies nearby. There are many who just don’t want to suddenly move fast. Checking the perimeter for threats only complicates the item, and drastically reduces the item’s possibilities. And outside of dungeons, it’s really not fun when a guy decides to place one of these obelisks down during an Ava fight, where other players could easily fling themselves into the boss. There are still ways that trolls can bypass the system by setting up the obelisk in places where projectiles are about to go. If there’s an area that’s about to be bombarded with insta-kill shots, as long as the enemy itself is 8 tiles away, the user can implement the ability to negatively affect the group. DECA has been spending the last many months coming up with ways to make Discord raids more and more obsolete. One of the few circumstances where this will work well is if there is a leader of sorts actively calling for obelisk spawns at exact times and locations. Adding this, which encourages much more organized play and can only be used effectively in raids, goes against what the devs have been working on recently.

I agree with this

While I agree with this for the most part, during an Ava fight you would be able to see it before-hand so unless you can’t see something popping up on your screen that is as visible as bullets, you would be good.
Regarding the DECA + discord raids, at the end of the day, the game is still a CO-OP game and coordination is always better, discords just take it to the extreme. Nothing like having fun with your guildies for example and making an organized run. It’s fun. It’s always good when something made for co-op gameplay benefits organized co-op groups which is what the game is supposed to be like. Organized groups will always be above chaotic groups.

Either way, I have changed how the helm functions. Hopefully it will now be better.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.