Monk (New Class)

This new class, Monk, will provide the ability to reliably inflict Weak on enemies. The ability also introduces a new status effect: Redemption. Monk is unlocked by achieving a level 20 Samurai and a level 20 Mystic. Monk is not beginner-friendly as the class requires close-range combat in robes. Alas,

Monk

(WIP: Class Sprite)

Game Description: The monk uses fists up close and receives blessings from prayer beads.

Stats
Stat / Initial / Gain per level / Average at 20 / Base cap
Hitpoints 150 / 20 to 30 / 625 / 720
Magic Points 100 / 3 to 7 / 195 / 252
Attack 8 / 0 to 3 / 43 /55
Defense 0 / 0 / 0 / 25
Speed 15 / 1 to 2 / 38 / 65
Dexterity 15 / 0 to 3 / 43 / 70
Vitality 12 / 1 to 2 / 40 / 70
Wisdom 12 / 1 to 2 / 40 / 60

Gauntlet: Bronze War Fists
Bronze%20War%20Fist%202

Tier 0
Shots 1
Damage 50-65 (average: 57.5)
Projectile Speed 17 tiles/second
Lifetime 0.206
Range 3.5 tiles
Amplitude 0.4 tile(s)
Amplitude 0.4 cycle(s)/shot
Feedpower 5

T0 Gauntlet is in green.

Wield these on both fists.

This is a starter weapon for fist classes. It does not drop from enemies.

Tier 12
Shots 1
Damage 75-350 (average: 212.5)
Projectile Speed 17tiles/second
Lifetime 0.206
Range 3.5 tiles
Amplitude 0.4 tile(s)
Frequency 0.4 cycle(s)/shot
XP Bonus 4%
Feedpower 450

Prayer Beads: Grass Beads
Grass%20Prayer%20Beads%202 A blessed rosary made of grass.
Tier 0
MP Cost 65
Effect(s)

1. Smite: Inflict Weak for 3 seconds within 4.8 tiles every 0.5 seconds.
  2. On self: Redemption for 2.5 seconds.

Feedpower 5

Smite is an aura around the Monk.

Redemption is a positive status effect that can be used by both enemies and player. 70% of all damage taken during Redemption will be restored at the end of its duration.

Obtained through Creating a new Monk character.

Tier 6
MP Cost 80
On Equip +4 Vitality, +4 Wisdom, +20 HP, +20 MP
Effects

1. Smite: Inflict Weak for 4.5 seconds within 4.8 tiles every 0.5 seconds.

Robe: None

Ring: None

• I built the high base stats around the sheer will it takes to be a monk. The volatile gains per level account for potentially fast growth early levels, but evens out around level 20.

Lastly, I understand that Deca announced 3 candidates for a new class, and that they will release one in the first quarter of 2021. However…

I have another idea that will also use fist weapons. (Which is beginner friendly)

Monk gameplay

Ability FAQs

Well, if Sicken wears off before Redemption procs, then the restoration goes through. If Redemption procs before Sicken, then the restoration does not go through.

Then Redemption does not transfer between servers, like Paladin’s Seal buff. It seems you survived rushing a dungeon, are in a safe place, and will now have to recuperate with high vitality stats; as with other classes.

DPS (with Charts)

Monk (green)

Here is a damage chart of between a T12 Fist (green) and Etherite Dagger (red)

Interesting concept but throughout history monks have been associated with priests, so maybe give it an ability which could work along side priest? Cause rn the monk is a bit interesting but I personally wouldn’t use it, the ability seems confusing and maybe op, otherwise rlly interesting! Oh also weakness is umm idk pretty op but that can also be inflicted by other classes with certain UT’s. And there are better options like why not just stun or expose, stuff like that. Idk this still needs a lot of work

weakness doesn’t work the same as it does with players. All it does is do -10% damage, which imo isn’t very op

Oh😂yeah I was thinking more like 20-30% my bad

Consistent damage reduction is pretty op. Bard at least only gives defense, which reduces a set amount of damage and can be ignored with armour pierce; Weak works on every projectile.

The sprites are not 8 by 8 pixels.

I assume the weapon is meant to fire a fast projectile at short range; frankly, it’s useless with the pitiful damage and range, and it might as well be a sword. The amplitude doesn’t help.

The weapon and ability doesn’t have a t12 and t6 showcase of the stats, making it harder to judge how balanced this class is.

Redemption sounds interesting but I don’t think it’ll be useful; it’s just a delayed heal that only kicks in if you expect to take damage, and won’t help if you die before it heals you back up. If anything, it should be an “on hold” ability that heals back the damage when you let go of the key, and then has a cooldown.

Interesting concept, but there’s not enough here for me to like it very much.

Uhhhh close range and robe goes against all the concepts of the game. No offense but I’m just not a fan of this idea.

I would agree that monks and priests are associated sacredly. Cross-class(?) mechanics is something that could be implemented and I feel it would be best suited for a UT Monk ability.

To explain the Monk’s ability, imagine an Oryxmas Tree inflicting Weak for 3 seconds within a range of 4.8 tiles that is fixated on your character.

Which the prayer beads account for.

Yes, Bard activates a stat boost. And Inspire. Which both affects themselves and the party. I feel that to use prayer beads effectively, there are two circumstances the Monk must consider.

1. Smite only affects the enemy while the Monk is in range. The Monk’s high speed enables them to weave in and out of projectiles. 4.8 tiles provides enough space for Monks to position themselves, which is important for…
  2. Redemption. The Monk must calculate if they will soak the up close damage with 10% reduction or far damage with no reduction, or even both. At Hitpoints cap of 720, a little over 500 Hitpoints is restored. This does not account for the Heal/Healing received from either Priest or Paladin.

I included a high Vitality cap for the sake of Vital Combat.

1. Solo Monks are able to heal up a substantial amount of hitpoints after a fight. Sources of Heal, (such as Pets), compound on this ability.
  2. Party Monks shine near Priests and Paladins as they benefit from both of their buff separately.

Yes, it is a delayed heal in contrast to instant heals (from Paladins).

Sure, the damage and range is a bit pitiful.
I wanted to balance the damage to be between the main healing classes (Priest and Paladin). I consider mountain Gods to be the average enemy for any class and those enemies fall within the range of the defence where the Monk is stronger than the Knight (and Priest and Necro). As you can see, the Monk is a tad stronger than Paladins against enemies will low defence, which you will find the closer you are to the shore. This is to make sure the early game is strong. Lastly, I felt that the fall off at 60 is perfect because fists should definitely not be stronger at those stats.

And I thought it was pretty clear that fists do not have long range. Plus, the amplitude was to immerse the player into fistfights.

While this WIP thread does not include a T12 Weapon or T6 Ability…I thought it was safe to assume that weapon damage, in general, progresses nearly parallel with each other per tier upgrade. As for a T6 ability, I either wanted to make use of the Monk’s high vitality stat by having a +5 vitality on equip (with the standard Hp/Mp mod), or include a wismod on the ability to justify a + wisdom (with the standard Hp/Mp mod).

It is not. According to GammaGamer, I can create a 34x34 (a +2 on 32x32 to include an outline) which works accordingly for 8x8 pixels (which it is).

I was talking to BloodBird, who had said that weakness was overpowered

no, uh, he meant the sprite can be given an outline by making the image 34x34, but the sprite itself should have at most 8 pixels in width and 8 in height. Take a look at literally any other item sprite for reference. You can enlarge the image and add a tiny outline around it, is what Gamma meant.

You haven’t really mentioned anything about the problems I brought up. Like, literally;

You didn’t talk about the issue with Redemption, just said the same thing as you did in the first post. I have no gripes with a short range Weak since there might as well be a class to make use of that effect, my problem is with how the Monk’s ability is practically useless otherwise. You speak of tactics, but anyone playing Monk would likely just spam the ability and hope it heals them enough. Not only that, but the ability only heals the player, meaning their overall contribution to any group is the Weak effect.

But Redemption doesn’t do anything outside of this; the Monk is stuck at sword range with the least defensive armour type in the game, and the only “redemption” is that they could heal back some of the damage they take if they’re lucky. Party Monks would NOT benefit from being near priests, as they would be close to the enemy in order to inflict Weak (thankfully Priest’s healing range is ridiculously high), and Paladins don’t actually instant heal any more.

With pets already healing significant amounts of HP, this would only be useful if you’re In Combat; now another issue comes up. In order to heal yourself you HAVE to be hit while using the effect. Like I said, this means you have to anticipate when you’ll be hit and then wait roughly 2.5 seconds to heal. Not only are player reactions not that fast, but this means you either have to react to every bullet coming your way, or spam the ability. Additionally, by taking hits you lose a significant portion of your pet heals through IC; the ability directly interferes with another feature just to be useful.

You’ll have to explain why I wouldn’t just play a priest for significantly higher range, more consistent healing which can be just as good as damage reduction, and an ability that helps out other players a lot more. Aside from, I dunno, getting white star.

Again, I think the ability would be way better if Redemption was the main focus, as an On Hold effect, and perhaps a smaller portion of the health restored could be healed to nearby players. That way it’s more controllable by the player, and helps out other players too which makes them significantly more useful already. I also would suggest adding a projectile to Redemption; when the key is released, then along with the heal, the monk fires a projectile that inflicts Weak and does damage for a duration scaling with the damage taken, with a base duration and damage value scaling with ability tiers. This way it is, again, more controllable and makes use of the Redemption concept more, rather than having two separate functions.

Ok, in my defense I forgot how weak t0 weapons are, and the damage is okay. The fact it is a worse sword is not. You could give them a quarterstaff or something instead to excuse a higher range, because being that close to enemies with only a robe sucks. The higher projectile speed can stay I think.

The problem is that weapon scaling is not consistent between weapon types. If you have time, please do draft at least some idea for higher tiers.

The lack of a tier 6 ability is way worse though since there is no indicator of how it improves with each tier, whether it is the range or heal amount or what the mana cost is at said higher tiers, which is, again, important for balancing purposes.

Would the ability make use of the wisdom modifier by chance?

Regardless, 32x32 scales with 8x8. I literally saved one of Gamma’s sprite and a sprite from the wiki itself and they both equate to the same dimensions.

The idea of “any problems you brought up” is ambiguous. In fact, one entire sentence suggests to not use the ability as it is intended. I thought an example would suffice.

Then Redemption will have a cooldown. But, I digress, if you don’t consider the aforementioned tactics of buffering damage in order to restore a substantial amount of hitpoints, then, yes, of course it is a useless ability. If a Knight misses its stun or stuns a target that is immune, it’s useless, as well. At face value, this class play a survivor role in endgame dungeons with reasonable damage. Monks significantly outperforms the majority of the current classes bar the Warrior.

Just to be clear, this is a WIP thread. Redemption for the party is something I have considered for a UT. The idea of making that a party effect is laughable. I placed emphasis on the Monk not being a beginner friendly class at the start of the thread. By no means does that warrant the Monk, or any class, to be OP.

Let’s compare two solo scenarios (8/8 Monk vs. 8/8 Paladin with O2 armor):

A Monk tanks a full shotgun from a (Weak) Ghost God taking ~510 damage and is now ~210 hitpoints. Then, ~357 hitpoints is restored to a total of 567 hitpoints. A Paladin tanks a full shotgun from a Ghost God taking ~497 hitpoints and is now ~273 hitpoints.

Now, in an optimal group setting, the Paladin tanks a full shotgun from a (Weak) Ghost God taking ~447 hitpoints and is now ~323 hitpoints.

A Monk could survive two Ghost God shotguns (given the time). And, you know what, that Paladin might not even get hit even one time because the Monk can tank those shots. If the Monk wanted to. But guess what, the Monk can can consistently kite a Ghost God while maintaining Smite. On the other hand, a Paladin gets hit by at least one projectile attempting this maneuver. Redemption is the solo aspect of the Monk.

That’s exactly my point. This mechanic is the reason why the Seal was reworked, and it is the same mechanic you seem to be expecting in the Prayer Beads.

Yes…good observation.

There are weak spots for plenty abilities.

I reiterate, this is not a beginner friendly class.

What? How do those two interfere with each other? Pets with Heal provide a flat heal/sec.

I created a graph in my last post that shows a Monk doing nearly twice the amount of damage of a Priest.

Pally Seal Pre-Rework 2.0

The damage ranks second in top dps.

No, they’re not. Understandable.
I decreased amplitude and added frequency. I wanted to reflect a Monk hitting pressure points.

Tier 12
Shots 1
Damage 75-350 (average: 212.5)
Projectile Speed 17tiles/second
Lifetime 0.206
Range 3.5 tiles
Amplitude 0.4 tile(s)
Frequency 0.4 cycle(s)/shot
XP Bonus 4%
Feedpower 450

I want a wismod that only affects the %HP restored of Redemption. Unfortunately, I have limited knowledge with formulas.
That being said, I believe the T6 Prayer Beads should +Vitality and +Wisdom.
Side note: I split the effect of Redemption between enemies and player (like Weak).

Tier 6
MP Cost 80
On Equip +4 Vitality, +4 Wisdom, +20 HP, +20 MP
Effects

1. Smite: Inflict Weak for 4.5 seconds within 4.8 tiles every 0.5 seconds.

Redemption is a positive effect that can be used by both enemies and player(s).
Effect on enemy: 70% of all damage taken during Redemption will be restored at the end of its duration.
Effect on player: 70% (+wismod) of all damage taken during Redemption will be restored at the end of its duration.

Note: Redemption’s effect on player is completely beyond me code-wise

Note: I realize after this lengthy post I did not account for Paladin’s Seal Buff, but my point in that section was to highlight the 10 speed Monks have on Paladins.

That’s not the issue; yes, they’re both squares, but the important thing is that the height and width of a standard item sprite (anything equippable falls into this category) can’t exceed 8 pixels. 9x9 is too large, 16x16 is too large, and 32x32 is too large.

You can take a look at all of the item sprites on the wiki; with the exception of some skin unlockers, all items are at most 8 pixels wide and 8 tall.

Mfw I walk into a conversation where ppl are discussing what 8x8 means.

Hi, GammaGamer!

Could you confirm or deny any of the claims about the sprites?

According to JimdaFish

yet, when I import sprites from the wiki and use 8x8 dimensions, they’re scuffed, unlike at 32x32 or more.

By 8x8, we don’t mean it as in actual pixels. We mean it as in the squares that make up an object.
This is 8x8:

This is not 8x8:

@Koez

what roguegamma is saying, is that the squares represent the actual pixels ingame.
yes, the sprites in images may not be 8x8 in pixel standards, but they’re still 8x8 in pixel representation standards.

now, when you see the sprites ingame, they’re actually 8x8 in pixel standards, not 8x8 in pixel representation standards.

also, your idea is pretty interesting(not saying I like or don’t like it, but I’m still intrigued).

1Bronze%20War%20Fist%202
2png
3png

4Grass%20Prayer%20Beads%202

5Grass%20Prayer%20Beads%202b

6Grass%20Prayer%20Beads%202c

I can see a few flaws in the mechanics for this class. First - melee range wearing a robe? That makes sense from a lore point of view but would be very hard to play. Note we already have classes with less armour, short range and monk-like abilities: Rogue who can go invisible and Trix who can create a decoy. So you can’t just use those, even though they would help greatly (and you can play like a shadowy Monk if you want as a Rogue – the Skuld set has a weapon with sword range and as much def as a t12 robe).

The abilities you have chosen don’t really work. Weaken is a player nerf, it isn’t normally applied to enemies. When it is though it’s a 10% damage cut which is pretty OP, when you consider it would suddenly become mandatory for organised play making endgame play much easier. Unless the developers addressed it by making endgame enemies immune, making it useless.

Redemption sounds like even more of a problem, simply as it would be very hard to rely on. Normally with abilities the higher the tier the longer the duration, but with Redemption waiting too long for it to ‘wear off’ and give you back the damage might be fatal (this is why you need to show other tiers, so it’s clear how it progresses).

What if you get sickened which normally disables all form of HP gain? What if you change area while it’s active so the game forgets (but you still have lost all the HP you lost for being in sword range with a robe)?

It would be something else to track and so something else that could go out of sync due to timing issues or client/server communication issues, so you don’t get back the HP you expect.

Despite the inherent flaws, there idea of tanking bullets on a robe class has some poetic justice to it. The closest we have to that right now is the bard, if you’re willing to go in deep with a bow to land all the shots with your relatively minor def boosting.

From that tanking perspective alone, this monk class seems like it could be fun in the early to mid game, if not a tad overpowered, before all the bullets begin to pierce through players. At that point, the ability is there for self-sufficiency.

Also, keep it up, @Koez! We’re just here to critique and analyze, so don’t get discouraged. This is a dream character, so you don’t always have to abide by our precepts, especially if this is just for fun.

1. and 3. look like there missing the outline on the inside. for 4, 5, and 6 i prefer 4 the best.

Yes.

I like this analogy.

Here is a damage chart of between a T12 Fist (green) and Etherite Dagger (red)

I would not necessarily claim it as OP. O3’s celestial phase does, at most, 285 damage…Weak would reduce it to ~257. Yes, it would make this particular endgame much easier, but difficult to execute.

Well, if Sicken wears off before Redemption procs, then the restoration goes through. If Redemption procs before Sicken, then the restoration does not go through.

Then Redemption does not transfer between servers, like Paladin’s Seal buff. It seems you survived rushing a dungeon, are in a safe place, and will now have to recuperate with high vitality stats; as with other classes.

As with the minor damage reduction (Weak), Smite paired with Redemption enables the Monk to go in, tank, and heal, at faster rates.

Well said.