Ocean Tower Shield

This is my first time creating ideas on realm, even though I played the game for a while, I have limited understanding of what a balanced item is. Please criticize if needed

Tower shield

A unusual shield with that is capable of protecting those of need

Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • MP Cost: 115 MP
  • Cool down: 6.5 seconds
  • Duration: 5 seconds
  • Range: 3.2
  • Effect: Armored self and allies within a very small range. Also deals 150 damage to enemies
  • Stat Bonus: +4 DEF, -5 ATK
  • Special properties: NaN
  • Fame Bonus: 5%
  • Feed Power: 850

Drops From:

• Not specified (idk yet

More info

This shield isn’t meant for DPS, it’s more for tanking and supporting your allies.

EDIT IMAGE

An interesting idea, but perhaps too strong. Armored is a rare buff for melees and should have drawbacks if the item gives you armored. Also, the sprite needs to be 8x8.

As noted, all sprites are sadly restricted to a 8 by 8 sprite sheet which is why everything appears so simple. Secondly, I’ve noted that this has no cooldown at all, something that basically actually makes it a direct upgrade on any existent armoring ability. Finally, some more information on actual stats would be nice. is the 150 damage to everyone within 3.2 range as AOA? Is it like a standard shield?

Projectile count is the same as a t1 shield. You think I should up the mana cost?

Didn’t know everything was restricted to 8x8 sprite.

First of all, prot, but I think you are right. 100 mp for 5 secs of armored without cooldown means a knight can perma armor every player within a range, providing an arguably stronger defensive effect than a mseal (for which damaging doesn’t matter in large groups as long as there is 1 paladin using tiered)

The new Wilhuff

WhAt KiNd Of ObNoXiOuS tYpInG qUiRk Is ThAt?

very unique idea, very over powered

I see a shield that does armored and i get this rage:

HELLO ARE YOU HIGH YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU WANT A DEF BUILD Knight YOU WOULD HAVE 94 Def. NOW DOUBLE THAT WITH ARMORED YOU GET 188 def FOR 5 FUKING SECONDS r u high (you would lose 15 dex in the end from cc and this but STILL)

First… chill. clearly first idea (hopefully). Secondly, you’re guranteed to take 15% of the damage of a shot, no matter how high your defence is, so truthfully, having 188 def instead of 94 def isn’t actually that much more helpful except for in endgame, where this thing is straight out overpowered

Edit: Also, paladins can give armored to a group so knights can acheive that much def anyway… The issue is that it’s a incredibly powerful group buff, not that it can bring knights to such high defs

Maybe this should be dropped from thessal since the shield’s name is “ocean tower shield”

Imo, the coral set is enough for thessal. Maybe make it a herm drop and have jugg only drop from sphinx(or claim that jugg would only drop from sphinx cuz its not like jugg drops. I don’t play warr though so idk about my lack of jugg)

The idea itself is pretty good. I mean, shields are used for defence irl anyway, so it even makes more sense than the tiered ones, and it also brings out the knight’s potential as a tank.
It’s unique too. Shields generally give a pretty solid defence bonus, but only as a passive stat boost. However, just as you yourself admitted, it’s hella unbalanced.

I’d reduce the stat bonus to only 4 def, as it already provides a lot of protection with the ability, and -2 dex -2 spd, so it doesn’t cripple dps as much (the knight already has very little dex, with only the paladin having less).
This is just the beginning though, because what really makes this shield suck urgle tentacles is the OP effect.

The simplest way to fix that, would be to just reduce the length of the buff to something like 2 seconds (jugg has 4.5, with a 6 second cooldown), and maybe make it just increase ally defence by a constant like 15 or 20 instead (like tinctures/effusions), so it’d be a bit weaker by itself, but would stack with the actual armoured buff (This was done with the Cloak of Bloody Surprises, so it stacks with berserk).
It also protects the weaker players, like the random newbies scrambling around Lost Halls in T3 robes, which seems more like the knight covering others with the shield, whereas armoured would mainly just protect other meles.
The caster should imo just get armoured, like proposed in the original post, because that would encourage high def builds, and make def rings on knights a bit more viable, but if it gave a high enough constant boost, it could in turn encourage lower def builds, opening the way for things like offence-oriented brestplates and the like.
A maxed divine heals 90 mana in 2 seconds, so you couldn’t really permanently armour yourself (unless you had infinite potions), but you could stay armored for a pretty long time if you needed to.

A cooldown could be added too, but with multiple knights, you could stay permanently armoured anyway. Afaik those are only put on ablities that primarily affect the user.

A slightly more interesting twist, would be to make it work like a shuriken. In fact, I’m kind of boggled as to why there aren’t more hold-based ablities. It gives a lot more freedom and control than the standard way.
It would apply the armoured buff when held, consuming mana rapidly, and maybe adding a new debuff, that disables mana recovery, from all sources except wisdom, so it wouldn’t be too broken with a divine pet, but would still be useful without one. The projectiles would be shot when released.
It could also lower dexterity even further, or reduce attach a bit, so holding it would offer great protection at a price. Lowering movement speed would not be ideal though, because with low range and high defence, the knight is made to rush in quickly, deal some damage and retreat. Speed reduction would make it actually more dangerous to use, than a standard stunning shield, because when you hit the stun, you no longer need to retreat.
Lowering dps wouldn’t impact survivability at all, while still making releasing the ability close to the target worth the risk, despite the shield’s low damage.
Instead of lowering stats though, it could apply a weaker version of the darkness debuff. After all, shields block a large part of the field of vision, which is why police shields are made transparent nowadays.
As for the def bonus shared to allies, it could either be applied when held, alongside the armoured buff for the knight, or given for a set amount of time upon releasing.

On a side note: I think it looks way cooler with the rim and the cross painted gold, more akin to a beach of some sort.
ocean%20man%20take%20me%20by%20the%20hand%20lead%20me%20to%20the%20land%20that%20you%20understand
It has a pretty nice contrast, and somewhat resembles the cobalt shield from terraria.

wall of text ftw

8*8 sprites!!!

i can’t explain because i’d sound dumb but I can explain on discord or smnthn

Hilarious.

image for any who are interested

Everyone’s already had their two cents on the stats, so that leaves me with my view on the name and description.
I like the name, but the description is…fully honest, it’s bad.
So, here.

Ocean Tower Shield
A prismarine shield, enchanted with protective runes, allowing it to summon a concentrated barrier around the wielder.

I know sprites must be 8*8 but i only recolored it to show the contrast

Thank you, I will change it to where it will reduce another different stat.