People have suggested a pet level cap (no divines in godlands, nor in their dungeons, etc.), but what if certain dungeons had a *minimum*?

I don’t think the relevant discussions/threads ever came to a common consensus regarding nuking pets from orbit and reducing them to a fraction of their power for certain sections, but I think it’s more than fair, given enough time, for them to implement a “minimum pet rarity”. While I see plenty of issues w/ implementing a policy that’d temporarily replace your pet w/ a max rare/max legendary heal | mp heal | electric, I see far more issues w/ ones that would restrict you from playing certain areas until you earn (read: cough up money) a max rare or legendary pet.

Mainly, I was just thinking about Lost Halls giving you a heal | mp heal | electric max legendary rare pet if you don’t have something better already. Optimally, this’d be implemented after some sort of “NPE/PPE” system so people aren’t forced to play w/ a pet they don’t want to (even if only for a section), but… idk. playing a section that’s designed for players w/ max legendary pets in mind kinda feels like shit when the best you have is a max rare, let alone something less than that. You could also give players a max rare for CoO “boss” dungeons/shatters as well (if they ever get around to razing shatters and re-building it from the ashes), but… yeah.

I believe it could also be nice if CoO dungeons might have something like how the Janus fight affects pets, those w/ electric, anyways - even though it’s a side effect of the design, your pet just… can’t enter the area where you fight Janus. Not having your pets right there to paralyze the keys makes it that bit more… invested - less “sit on this and shoot it”.

I would have posted this in ideas instead of game discussion, but 1. I’m not convinced I’m being original (I.E. everything is plagiarizing someone else), and 2. I’m not smart enough to make this a comprehensive, fleshed out idea on my own. Thoughts?

TL;DR give shatters and Court of Oryx dungeon give players a max rare pet, and Lost Halls give players a max legendary rare heal | mp heal

Edit 1: removing electric pets from certain dungeons mean you could let enemies/bosses be vulnerable to electric w/o dooming them to get rekt by pets (!), and only be vulnerable to electric from characters/abilities that actually normally have it. Having electric has become more of a joke/hindrance w/ the new overall game design of newer content (which isn’t bad per se), and it’d give people one more reason to play huntress over archer. It was also kinda exhilarating/really cool to see that the light and dark keys from janus could be paralyzed, because I’m used to seeing someone stand on everything w/ an elec pet.

You could also make the minimum pets be 70 | 70 of whatever levels you have, instead of heal | mp heal | elec (if you have heal | elec | mp heal, it’d be heal and elec, but not mp heal).

Edit 2: this might make electric invulnerability something to note again, rather than the standard “that’s a given - pets are broken” that everyone is so used to.

I hate that pets can paralyze. It gives the archer/huntress ability to any class with an electric pet.

Note: Replace “Paralyze” with “Electric”

The Paralyze ability is a bit broken- However there are a few differences.

Here is what Paralyze can do that the Trap and the Quiver can not:
Constant, reliable Paralysis even in the face of (non-pet stasis) conditions
Constant damage flow
Stop pursuing enemies in their tracks more efficiently

Here’s what the Quiver can do that the Trap and Paralyze can not:
Semi-reliable, quick paralysis (Does not require the throw/arm time of trap or the maneuvering of the pet)

Here’s what the Trap can do that the Quiver and Paralyze can not:
Wide area slowing (Tiered Only)
Long range area paralysis (Coral Venom Trap Only)
Unimpeded by walls

The primary problem with the Paralyze ability is range- sure, if you can get your pet in Paralyze is generally better than the trap and most definitely better than the Quiver. However, the maneuvering to get your pet into a viable position is quite hard, especially with endgame dungeons. Also, Paralyze has this annoying tendency to fuck you over when you don’t want to, especially during tombs/ Forgotten King.
Tl;Dr: Paralyze=/= Coral Venom =/= T3-T6 Quivers
Tl;Dr: Paralyze is a bit broken and definitely the best 3rd ability, but it is in no means a quiver/trap replacement.

While I mostly agree w/ your conclusion (after all, only a true fuck-up would conflate the massive damage and the permanent, rather large hitbox that electric provides that you can’t turn off for a shatters or tomb vs. the trap/quiver that you can either take off or unbind your ability button), it’s still enough of a boon to the overwhelming majority of the game that it far outpaces the rest of the abilities for 3rd place as a pet ability, and electric as a primary function of your ability becomes a joke.

Or I could propose an alternative by making this shameless self-plug for an idea I posted a while back (as a way to indirectly nerf pets):

It wouldn’t require changing what pet a player has following them, and gives the devs more power when deciding on how a certain fight is going to play out.

read the thread, liked some of it, but… idk. I feel like there’s a place for both of these, except perhaps toned down a bit. I’m no game developer, but I know what it doesn’t look like. However, I really liked the idea of “pet unstable ‘scrambles’ your pet abilities, so everything will always turn into something else - having a specific 3rd ability will either grant you heal, mheal or electric” just seemed really kinda neat (and a way to potentially force people to have a pet other than “lel xd 100 heal 100 mp heal 100 elec”)

Moved to #ideas:other

I paid for my pet knowing that It would be OP and would give me an advantage. I don’t want that taken away from me. @_@

But, I like your idea about the Lost Halls. :slight_smile:

I myself have chosen the side against pets in this long going seemingly eternal debate, however the idea you put forth goes against their mechanic almost entirely.
Most with a high level pet regard it as an advantage over other players, and some even a necessity. I view them as an easy way for Deca to make money. But note how the game dropped in popularity not long after Divine pets were implemented and soon became more common. First time I saw a divine pet it was like

Seeing Jesus Christ himself descend from Heaven.

Now I see at least one every day. They are common and still become increasingly more popular, especially with the Unity Campaign.

The Lost Halls was implemented to coincide with the 2017 Month of the Mad God, as an endgame dungeon for skilled players with unique and incredibly rare drops. As of today running a Lost Halls with a co-ordinated group of 90 people makes the dungeon look like a joke, and is completed in roughly 20 minutes. Pets are a slight influence on the speed that the dungeon is run, and about 3 in 10 of the people in the dungeon have a pet on or over the legendary level. Pets increase the speed in which the Halls is run, but just slightly. If everyone in the dungeon had at least a maxed legendary pet with perfect stats, more players would run Lost Halls. Fewer people would bring a priest into the run, because of the pet’s healing capabilites and bring classes such as warriors into the run. This extra dps could most likely lead to completing the dungeon in less than 15 minutes. Lost Halls would be run more and more people would get white bags, quickly progressing to endgame level. It would make the game much easier, which is not what Deca, like any games company wants. If a game is easy, players would lose interest after obtaining end game items really quickly, plunging Realm of the Mad God into utter despair, for good this time.

Note that this is my hypothetical opinion, and might not necessarily be fact.
I just think Divine pets shouldn’t exist.

you dont need a pet, especially if you have a big group.

Pets are obviously an amazing asset, but relying on them is why most players just facetank bullets instead of dodging.

So no, max legendary pets aren’t a requirement.
Plus pet stasis is so rampant that people who don’t dodge will still not be affected by their pets.

good job, it’s arguably the best player in the game, w/ at least as much experience as anyone else in this dungeon, going into this fight armed to the teeth w/ both equips and consumables for this fight, and he gets quite low at various points anyways. I very much doubt you or I could do this, and if it is that fight is going to be hell. I’m not saying it should be easy, I’m saying it shouldn’t be arbitrarily harder for everyone else just because you didn’t cough up money. Though the one thing I think has changed is that in realizing how much better max legendary is than max rare, if at all implemented, it should be limited to max rare.

Ok so if you were surrounded with 30 other people (or 200 if you do pub halls), do you really think you still need a pet to complete the fight?

the fact that a solo IS POSSIBLE without the pet means you shouldn’t be complaining.

here’s another player soloing with a max rare (heal / ELECTRIC) pet

Note: I replaced Legendary w/ max rare in OP (or at least the ones I saw), because as much as max divine is better than legendary, unlocking that third ability w/ legendary is just too much.

This isn’t about UGC or the people who have ran thousands of halls already, or are good at dodging, or already have a legendary/divine pet anyways. This’ll only affect those who are newer to the game and don’t have a max rare pet, and there’s no fucking way these people would be comparable to uni or btl if they had a quarter of their runs to learn this bullshit. Happy?

New players will never learn if they never die.

You learn through mistakes.

Also I really hope new players who don’t know the game aren’t doing lost halls straight off the bat

So you’re saying that if people who never have rans halls before can’t solo on their first time, then it’s too hard and therefore a easier version should be made?

Just for personal input, I’m totally f2p(but been playing for an active~2.5years) and have a 90/88/74 heal/ele/mpheal pet. Most games don’t allow for any chance of seeing the endgame at all as a f2p so I think its more than okay that the newer player will just have to stay with a maxed rare pet.

I agree that divines are super op, and could due with a nerf to some degree. I have a maxed divine, but I just see it as a convenience which allows me to play more sloppily and not have to pay as much attention. That’s how I can have fun playing the game without stressing myself out about whether I’m gonna die in the godlands. I’ve never done lost halls, because I think huge group dungeons are dumb, so I can’t really say anything about that.

That said, I’m against any pet nerf if the reasoning behind it is simply you can’t afford it, but still feel entitled to its benefits on harder dungeons. I put my own money into this game and got something good out of it, and wanting to be given what I’ve got just because you can’t cough up the cash doesn’t seem very fair to me.

I understand wanting to nerf pets from a gameplay perspective, but doing it because “it’s not fair” is just ludicrous.

I have a feeling this would change very little. If you want to consistently complete something like Shatters then either you’re playing with a decent group or you’re on a throwaway alt with a maxed out Divine. Giving players a free Rare isn’t going to change much.

lol giving them a rare pet won’t stop them from dying, and you’re delusional if you think otherwise.

@RMGnoob my fault for not mentioning the same “if they ever get around to razing shatters and re-building it from the ashes” in the TL;DR, your fault for being lazy and not reading it =p

@adolfia if I have a max legendary and DECA builds the game around max legendary to re-introduce some level of challenge, great - but that’d further remove newer players from ever having the chance to compete in the same ring, let alone get invested in the game before they walk away. I live for the moments that make me pay more attention (rushing shit like mt and halls on a trix, trying to solo nest queen, etc.) and work for my loot. I want a challenge, and I don’t want the game to die in order to do that.