Player Vs Player

A concept that has been floating around my mind recently is PVP, and before you shut it down saying it has no benefit to Deca or that there is no good way to go about it…consider this. A PVP button on the options menu when you click someone, the same way if you want to trade someone and it gives a option to trade or an option to decline. If both parties want to battle they will be teleported to a smallish arena where they will duke it out between each other, certain aspects would be tweaked, such as the rogues ability in this area would actually cause the opponent to not be able to see them, however the shots are still visible. Health points would have to be boosted to x10 so 699 HP would change to 6990 HP. that way you can’t enter the arena and be insta’ed by say a huntress trap. Items/potions would be unusable in the arena, you can still swap equipment. An aspect that Deca would approve of would be a PVP Arena leader-board where the highest ranked PVP players are listed. Nothing can be won or lost in the Arena, and items cannot be dropped inside either. Top 1-10 on the ranking leader-board would receive a uniquely colored glow that changes on a monthly basis. The way this would be profitable to Deca would be included in the PVP cost of challenging an opposing player. The cost to challenge someone would be 10 gold or 50 fame, adding this game aspect into Rotmg would not change game play apart from having a new way to entertain oneself, and I am sure this would bring a large group of players back into active play once more. If you have more ideas or criticisms please let me know in the comments below and thanks!

Arena Idea

This is my personal take on PvP, if a game was never intended for PvP then don’t add PvP. There are so many other features Deca could focus on than rather adding a feature that was never intended in first place fundamentally

Speed would make this massively unbalanced, trix for example would be able to infinitely run away from melees til they die

I think that what Megayeah introduced is one of the bigger things here. Melees would die quickly, and the bow classes wouldn’t deal enough damage. Those with speed, range, and spammable abilities would dominate for the most part!
It’s been a cool concept floating around for a while, but it starts to fall apart if you think about it too much. The characters are designed to be (more) balanced to fight the enemies we’ve been given, not each other. :slight_smile:

First on the “Common ideas to avoid” list. It just doesn’t work out.

Ok ok but listen. Rogue invisible kill everything, wizard press space bar twice kill everything, huntress carpetbomb you’re dead, assassin plague kill everything, mystic stasis and ep you, sorc can shoot you without even being to see him.

Lmao, that ought to be updated tbh. ic/ooc already nerfing pets, abilities that heal mana (sseal), inv hotkeys, o3, tp invul. But it seems Doc’s saying not to not post these ideas, but to refine them, and explain why your version is better.

This game was never designed with player vs player combat in mind. It just wouldn’t work. It works in MMOs that are turn-based but in a live-combat bullet hell? It becomes nothing more than a top down shooter at that point. I think a lot of the depth in RotMG comes from having character builds that are useful because of how the enemies are designed to combat the players. Equipment was never designed with player vs player in mind and I can tell you right now, PVP would not be the fulfilling experience that you would expect in this game and it would likely end up with a similar fate to the arena.

It would be worse in my opinion. Everyone would notice it was bad immediately instead of attempting it for a while but letting it die over time.

Responding to OP:
Tablet is a problem. So are shields. And just about everything, for that matter. The problem is that player weapons/abilities are just way too high damage for the survivability of players. So what if we nerfed that and boosted survivability in this pvp arena? There’s some abilities that are problematic (basically all of the abilities but especially rogue)

The other thing is: do we really need this? What’s the point? The game’s core is cooperative, not PVP (although some ppl like to PVP by being toxic and trolling etc)

I think it would be kinda funny if they implemented sandbox private PvP duels or randomized party teams for group PvP. Of course you’d need to make everyone have 20.000HP but that’s pretty obvious.

This has come up before. There is no way to do it that makes sense.

Classes are totally unbalanced, and the only way to balance them would be by removing or nerfing 90% of the features that make them unique, outlawing a lot of UT and ST items.

What rewards would there be? If there’s none then what is the point? Any other reward, whether ranking points towards something or actual drops, is easily abused by e.g. friends willingly playing each other to gain wards, or griefing on newbies.

How to keep it interesting? The Arena failed partly for technical reasons but mostly as it’s boring, the same every time. PvP would I think suffer a similar dearth of interest.

And lag would make it totally unplayable (the game finesses lag in PvE by resolving a lot of things in the client, but everything in PvP would have to be server based).

Basically it would mean a massive amount of work balancing, addressing cheat/grief issues, for something that would not work anyway, and would appeal to few people even if it did.

Lol wtf? I said sandbox for the sole reason as a feature meant to have fun with a friend or something.

it’s not League of Legends comp

none lol. this wouldn’t be “ranked”, who cares about that

I meant it as a for fun feature which wouldn’t affect anything and wouldn’t require heavy “balancing”, no point in that really

Without balancing it would quickly break down, as people worked out which abilities trumped others in PvP, allowing some classes to insta-kill others, others to avoid taking damage and so wear their opponent down safely.

It’s not just which class as many classes have abilities which transform the class. Sorc with fulmi e.g. have an easy-use instant effect slow, and the best range in the game for easy sniping. It would be an interesting meta-game to work out which classes beat which other classes, but once worked out actually fighting is pointless and uninteresting.

Bro, you’ve played this game for 8 years. Literally anything can* be uninteresting to you at that point, don’t project old player views on average gameplay

What would break down?

why would this matter in a sandbox pvp minigame

You can have same-class duels

Which would be even less interesting. A lot of times it would just mean stalemate. Or if the two players just started shooting at each other until one dies with everything else being equal it would probably be determined by their network connections.

I mean, you not thinking it is interesting is entirely subjective… I’m not sure I understand your other points against it

A lot of times it would just mean stalemate.

What?

Or if the two players just started shooting at each other until one dies with everything else being equal it would probably be determined by their network connections.

Look, you said that it would be hard to balance different classes PvPing, and now you’re saying this when they are completely 100% balanced by being literally equal, which means the person who can dodge / use abilities better will win.

If you don’t find the idea interesting that’s alright. But I still think it’d be fun…

By stalemate I mean the players are unable to damage each other quickly enough to end the fight, and it goes on forever. Maybe both are Priests and can heal the limited DPS of the other. Or both are Rogues, spend so much time cloaked they are unable to damage each other. Or two Wizards, with spells that instakill, staying out of range, hidden or moving quickly to avoid falling prey to each other.

But hackers. The only reason people have on why hackers aren’t completely horrible is that the game is an mmo, and hackers being able to fuck up someones day solely by hacking is not a good thing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.