Reworked Robe of the Mad Scientist

Let’s face facts here for a second: the Robe of the Mad Scientist is a terrible UT.
The first thought of many players, upon hearing this, is often: “What, no, it’s great, it’s like a T13 robe!”
Which is what makes it a terrible UT, although it’s still a good robe.

The purpose of a UT is to offer a different playstyle than what a class usually does or to support a class’ playstyle that a tiered item cannot do.
An example of the former is the Skullish Remains of Esben: this turns the Necromancer from a simple healer into the most reliable Slow-inflicting Class (though not being as effective as a Huntress, due to a smaller radius and duration).
An example of the latter is the Harlequin Armor, which, combined with an Assassin, can support a more Poison-based playstyle when compared to the Hydra Skin.

Now, to take the Mad Robe and put it into this equation.
When compared to the tiered Robe of the Grand Sorcerer, it gives identical defense, attack, and mana; but sacrifices 1 less wisdom for an additional 2 vitality.
The only thing this does is being a slightly more defensive choice for Wizards, that being the only Robe class unaffected by WisMod entirely. And even then, most Wizards prefer damage, so a little extra wisdom can help in occassionally getting off an extra spellbomb.

This is why I think the Robe of the Mad Scientist needs to be reworked. For now, here’s my proposal.
First of all, it’s part of a UT set, containing the Conducting Wand, Scepter of Fulmination, and Experimental Ring. Their niches are, in order: higher DPS for no piercing, lower damage for Slow, and boosting defensive stats.
This is why I propose the following:

Robe of the Mad Scientist: A well-worn, acidproof robe used for Science!
+4 DEX
+13 DEF
+4 WIS
+40 HP
+40 MP

This new version, when compared to the GSorc, sacrifices quite a few stats: 15 MP, 4 ATT, 2 WIS…
In exchange, you get an actually decent +4 DEX bonus and +40 HP.
This makes it a good alternative to both the GSorc and Soulless: it’s not as offense-based as the former, giving less MP, WIS, and ATT, but it’s not as defensive as the latter, giving more offensive stats.

Please leave any feedback, or maybe your own idea, below.

Potential Rotmg Modifications

That’s not necessarily true. A ut is just an item that doesn’t fit into the tiered list. If every ut had to conform to a certain standard, then the whole ut system would become less unique.

Some items should offer a different playstyle, some items should be similar substitutes, and some items should be completely worthless. I like the current balance of uts and it seems more unique than if they all had to fit into some generic niche role.

So this is another middle ground between Madrobe, like shendyt but, a little more leaned towards damage then Shendyt

Damage -> Survivability

Gsorc -> Madrobe -> Shendyt -> Soulless

LMFAO your wasting your time… what about mwoods robe…? That my friends is useless.

its better to balance out a broken ut then to buff a terrible one, as the broken ut causes more problems. also the robe is in a cyan bag so go ask for a tlatoni buff or smth

I’m pretty sure dexterity has a greater effect than attack at the same value.

Dex is better than atk below a certain amount of defence, (which is different for every class go see realmeye) but then atk becomes better

The mad robe is hardly broken. It is essentially a T13(only a 1vit/wis difference). Course, I do agree that it should be changed to differentiate itself from the T13.

by broken i meant it, as a ut, which purpose is to change a class’s playstyle, is broken, as it does not change a character’s playstyle, it is therefore broken

It’s more accessible than the Water Silk, so I use it on my Necro when I can afford a loss of 8 defense when I want the highest possible speed with my on-hand equipment.

Also, mind you that the Woodland Robe drops in a cyan bag and from a much easier dungeon than the Lab, and that the Mad Robe drops in a white bag.

I agree that UTs don’t have to fit some role. However, mad lab robe is kind of dissapointing and is, as noted, literally a copy of the gsorc doing a barely visible trade of one wis to two vit, a trade that literally isn’t noticible to anyone with a maxed uncommon pet or higher.

not all unteired items neccesairly change playstyle… Such as kageboshi. Also, I can easily argue that the edit made for this robe doesn’t change enough playstyle, as truthfully, a small change doesn’t suddenly create a whole lot of uniqueness

Comparing it to a g-sorc,

You trade:
4 atk -> 4 dex
6 wis -> 4 wis
55 mp -> 40 mp
0 hp -> 40 hp

A trade off from 4 atk to 4 dex is, at least in my opinion, barely significant. 6 wis -> 4 wis has a small difference for most wis modded classes and a drop in 15 mp is almost ignorable. An increase in 40 hp is a interesting addition but my biggest problem with this is that

Cute… However, literally what you are proposing is, as noted, a direct hybrid between a souless and a gsorc… In other words, if your definition is the acting definition of a UT, you’re robe is still

I agree that mad lab robe needs to be changed and I like that you’re trying to change it. However, I disagree with your new proposed robe, because, in my opinion, you’re proposal is not much better then the original mad lab robe and simply doesn’t provide enough differences to actually become a UT if what you are looking for is a level of uniqueness

All you gotta do is that… Change the fact that the robe is a trash useless item makee it a white useful item.

and why would we need 2 white bags and 2 cyan bags for a dungeon that can be soloed before level 20

That would make 3 white bags actually

3 white bags in a dungeon only slightly harder than hive

we’re talking about magic woods, and how we dont need another white bag for it (someone presented the argument that the robe from there should be buffed and given white bag status instead of this being reworked)

I’m an idiot holy shit-

I was just making a joke about how the robe from mad lab is just as important as the robe from mwoods.