The Crystal Caverns: Another Dungeon By Sturky

Tis not the forums birthday anymore, why have that text wall here still?

Greetings people! I, am Sturky! and today is that day! It is the First Birthday of the Realmeye Forums! and to celebrate, i’ve brought along my new dungeon, The Crystal Caverns!

It was long time coming, but it’s finally here! Shoutouts to @Glawi for being able to keep a secret, Love ya man. As he was the only one who knew about this project being released today, and I say project, yet all of this was done on my own, no ideas from other people, ( Aside from obvious references that are addressed. ) No spritework from other people, Just me, and my tools.

Shoutouts to @Xaklor for the Tiled program though, took me a while to figure out, but damn is it good!
( Still have no idea how to use " Collection of Images " though… )

But enuff Jibba Jabba, Yur lookin at that borin bread, you want dat buttah don’t ya? Well 'ere ya go!
Do you dare step foot into the caverns?

Also I’d appreciate it if at least somebody could give me criticism on the Enemies and Bosses, cause 99% of the time people just skip to the items, You don’t know my pain! This thing is 53 pages long and I read it over 5 times total, I don’t want just 15% of the work bein looked at! Still appreciate it either way though!

Also could someone tell me how to submit this dungeon to Deca? Do I just post it on Reddit? Or is there more to it? ( Fyi, I’ve never used reddit before need good instructions. )

And for those of you wondering about the lack of In Battle Examples for the main enemies and the other 2 bosses, it was almost 5:00 AM when I finished this, so cut me some slack, I’m workin on it, but I was rushing to get this finished for Aug. 19, so I’m taking a break at the moment.

Also on a side note, would anybody be willing to help me out with the spritework on the Magmatic Wastelands? I ain’t rich enough to pay ya, so if ya got spare time, and a good heart, help a man out?

Lore of Rotmg
Best of the Best Nominations - December 2017

Maybe a little bit of HP buff?

Apart from the art, which could probably use some work, this is pretty nice! The design of the dungeon and idea of the Crystal Colossus chasing the player are really nice. I imagine it’d be a great source of pots. The UT’s aren’t necessarily my favorites, but they’re definitely unique, which is good. I feel like the Crystal Serpent could be excluded without making the dungeon any worse, though. Regardless, this is pretty good! I like it.

7/10.

The dungeon is going to be interesting. I’ve seen the first boss, similar to [Redacted]'s Pacman fight, which I wanted to turn to a dungeon idea with the Parasite Den sprites. Splitting up seems beneficial, since nobody wants to face that thing head on in the first phase. I see we have a perma-para. Considering the things you listed, I think not a lot of players can run away in time/has the means to do so in solo. The slime-spike is interesting, though if we don’t make sure it spawns far from each other they’re just going to stack into one nice stack. I’m loving the irregular dungeon look.

My gripes? The Sprites are… 7/10. It’s not bad, but not amazing, like the Mountain Temple. (Though, to be honest, anything pales in comparison to that). I like the quiver spam Idea, not so sure about the spell idea. The prism is really powerful, but very costly. I’d say… add a cooldown? The mana cost is pretty high, but divine pet owners can pretty much use it every 3 seconds, which is the duration of the decoy.

The spell idea… I think it falls under OP category? Efficient mana with no cooldown sounds like it anyways.

Overall, I think this dungeon deserves to be end-game material, just like the tombs.

most of the sprites aren’t great, mostly because the colors of your “gemstones” don’t look nice together.

this doesn’t speak “crystals” to me, it looks more like… Legos.
yes, all of the red/blue/yellow enemies are made of Lego. your “crystal caverns” look more like “the child’s playbox”. if you made every crystal the purple color instead of all these others, that alone would be a huge improvement. not perfect, but a lot better.

also Blasters have 4 walking frames, and the colossus has 4 walking and 4 attack frames. Rotmg doesn’t do that

Andradite Arrowheads:
a better T0 quiver

Black Prince’s Shield
waitwaitwaitwait that’s not a seal? that is probably the least shield-like shield I’ve ever seen. concept’s not bad

Morganite of Mimicry:
how in God’s name is this so heavily shaded while everything else in the entire document is so extremely undershaded? I don’t think you made this sprite to be honest. and if you don’t put a cooldown on that it really is broken, regardless of mp cost.

Serpent’s Head
spells really don’t have a cooldown. all abilities can’t be used in immediate succession because that’s the way it is, I’m guessing it’s either something they don’t have control over or it was added because leaving it out led to problems. either way, I don’t think this is possible. and even if it was, I doubt I would ever use it.

Remember how I said that I was the only one who worked on this dungeon? Yeeaaahh, my spritework isn’t exactly incredible, but overall, I think I have gotten better, which Is a good thing.

The Lost Halls would like to have a word with you.

I guess I just put more work into this item than I realized, and you may doubt it, but I did make that sprite, took almost 40 minutes cause I was using a color blender and the Damn Art Maker kept freezing on me.

Well a way I was thinking it could be tackled was that his first phase only has high damage output and Daze, so one of your team members could act as a decoy, staying in a single room just guiding him around, and remember how I said the " Organ " room could have a purpose? That’d be a pretty good arena don’t you think?

Well, the Crystal Serpent was kinda made to be a difficulty spike compared to the Colossus, and since both of them give valuable loot, It might just be in your best interest to not even face the Serpent, just nab an Attack and a Defense potion, possibly some high tiered gear, and get a chance at a cool shield.

erm, elaborate please

also that reminds me: so many people hate the sentry in the lost halls, but that at least can despawn. what makes you think that people are going to enjoy the crystal colossus charging around being equally angry and unkillable, yet never despawning?

on paper it sounds interesting, but i highly doubt anyone will enjoy it in practice

I think he was referring to the Marble Colossus’s “waking” animations and the Void Entity’s animations when emerging from the Pure Evil, when transforming into the MBC, Forgotten King, etc., and when it transforms into just its body.

That being said, having 4 attack and movement animations is very difficult, if not impossible. It, hypothetically, could be done, but would look very strange.

wait what

This is the highest I’ve ever seen atrapper rate anything not in Best of the Best

Licorice

I’d rate this 9/10

Could do a little more spriting work (as… stated above I guess) but it’s one of the most thought out ideas I’ve seen on the forums

I meant Glawi was the only one who knew about it for a long time, I informed you on the last day. Cause why not?

Ok fine then

One of the highest ratings.

To give me some required reading to do

He also gave The Hidden Laboratory a 7/10 as well, you need to look deeper my friend.

Awww >w>

Anyway, I like the event boss specially the spikes that stay forever around the map while you fight it, I like the fact that the map is random and all weird looking x3 however, when you first told me about this dungeon I thought everything was going to be (like it’s name implies) a crystal cavern and the only enemies I think fit with the name are the mass, the serpent, the charger and maybe the blaster, the other enemies are rocks with gems coming out from them which is cool but doesn’t seem to fit the dungeon itself but still is pretty cool nonetheless.
I like the quiver since it has super low mp cost so you can spam it a ton of times same with the spell, the prism is super good for trix since it places the decoy on cursor instead of letting it run away and go into a random place.
You won a golden Glawi coin :v

The mini quest monster looks pretty ugly

You know, you could at least try and be helpful with criticism.

yes

Okay, who asked you to be a douche with this? I spent hours on this and you just say it’s garbage, have some respect for other people, like seriously.

It sounds like you’re the one being exceptionally aggressive