Solutions to useless items

Gamer warning: These ideas are just my opinions

I have been playing a lot of PPE/UPE and generally noticed some really annoying aspects of items. These are some changes I think will greatly benefit the use of some items. Nothing has been officially tested in the game but I think it looks all good on paper.

Starting this with a heater and the most complained about item!

Ray Katana

XRlFtjR

Stats:

• Tier: UT
  • Shots: 1
  • Damage: 111
  • Projectile Speed: 18 tiles/second
  • Range: 6.12 tiles
  • Effect(s): Piercing Shots hit multiple targets
  • XP Bonus: 8%
  • Soulbound: Soulbound
  • Feed Power: 700

Drops From:

• Golden Effigy

What changed? Nothing because this item is decent, just not event white material.

The drop location is the only thing that should change. Personally I think it should be a white bag for TCave with the same or better drop rate as a Plane or EP.

DECA should just completely redo the white from Rock Dragon with how they want, just make the item actually worth it.

Realm event boss drops are abilities (minus CDirk), so Rock Dragon should drop a UT waki that has the old sheath ability. Teleporting is OP and having another class being able to do that would be awesome. A white worth getting from such a deadly enemy.

My idea I previously had that I think would be perfect with some tweaking: UT Wakizashi

Candy-Coated Armor

Stats:

• On Equip: +30 DEF
  • Reactive Proc: When In Combat: -10 DEX
  • XP Bonus: 6%
  • Feed Power: 1,000

The hardcap -10 DEX just makes the armor really lackluster to use even with the high DEF boost. Idea similar to Resu armor effect, essentially keeping it the same but rewarding you for successful dodging.

Ring of Sphinx

Stats:

• On Equip: +6 WIS, +6 VIT, +100 MP
  • Feed Power: 800

Still not an amazing ring but giving it a better niche than before. Now has some use with WIS-mod classes and VIT to bring down some IC time. 3 Tomb rings now give all general stats (pyra att/def, nile spd/dex, and sphinx vit/wis).

Kageboshi

hjpl1lO

Stats:

• On Equip: +2 DEF, +5 VIT
  • While Key Held: MP Cost: 10 MP/sec
    Green Up Arrow Speedy on self
  • When Key Released: MP Cost: 85
    Shots: 3 (arc gap: 9.5°)
    Damage: 276-338 (average: 307 / total: 921)
    Projectile Speed: 14 tiles/second
    Range: 8.4 tiles (true range: 2.99)
    Piercing Shots hit multiple targets
    Passes cover Shots pass through obstacles
  • XP Bonus: 8%

Basically a shield (minus the stun) for the ninja, wait what!? Nerfing the damage per shot but rewarding good damage if all shots land. Youtuber bickuribox13 and several others have suggested similar ideas but I think this is the best and most balanced without changing too much.

Demon Blade

Stats:

• Shots: 2 (arc gap: 30°)
  • Damage: 150–175 (average: 162.5 / total: 325)
  • Projectile Speed: 13 tiles/second
  • Lifetime: 0.26 seconds
  • Amplitude: 0.1 tile(s)
  • Range: 3.38 tiles (true range: 1.87 tiles)
  • Feed Power: 700

Sort of like a Corruption Cutter and Pixie. Giving it a somewhat more usable range that will give you more hits in. Smaller arc gap as well.

Demon Blade Comparison

Coral Bow

Stats:

• Shots: 2 (arc gap: 30°)
  • Damage: 60–80 (average: 70 / total: 140)
  • Projectile Speed: 18.5 tiles/second
  • Rate of Fire: 125%
  • Lifetime: 0.42 seconds
  • Range: 7.77 tiles (true range: 5.08 tiles)
  • Reactive Proc: On Shoot: Release a paralyze burst
    Radius: 4.77 tiles
    Duration: 1.0 seconds
    Cooldown: 3.0 seconds
  • Feed Power: 750

Giving it the new Doku buff ability with a twist. Synergizing with the coral venom trap and allowing you to escape if being rushed. Radius is difficult to balance but I believe right under 5 tiles is justifiably balanced.

Staff of Esben

Stats:

• Shots: 2
  • Damage: 70–95 (average: 82.5)
  • Projectile Speed: 16 tiles/second
  • Lifetime: 0.45 seconds
  • Range: 7.2 tiles
  • Amplitude: 1.35 tile(s)
  • Frequency: 0.50 cycles/shot
  • Effect(s): Piercing Shots hit multiple targets
  • Rate of Fire: 88%
  • On Equip: +5 SPD
  • Feed Power: 750

Straight buff to the damage and RoF with 2 more speed. Speed will allow you to stay ahead and keep the range to have shots converge. The shot pattern is unique and should be left unchanged to make landing shots more rewarding and missing shots more punishing.

Spirit Dagger

Stats:

• Shots: 1
  • Damage: 50–280 (average: 165)
  • Projectile Speed: 13 tiles/second
  • Lifetime: 0.8 seconds
  • Range: 5.2 tiles
  • Amplitude: 0.2 tile(s)
  • Frequency: 0.2 cycle(s)/shot
  • Acceleration: -80 tiles/second after 0.33 seconds
  • Max/Min Speed: 0 tiles/second

Similar to Chipper where the projectiles linger at the end of the shot (Has some ghostly vibes now). Just giving more variability to this dagger that’s somewhat useless due to it’s shorter range and less damage compared to higher tier daggers.

Spirit Dagger Example

Tweaks/Other:

A94E357F-3084-4360-A003-F3FBE44CC848
Twilight Gemstone will most likely be redone with Shatters rework but just slapping it with and additional +6 WIS would be nice.

image (Ugly)
image (Hot)
The biggest buff here is to change the sprite of the Snakeskin Armor back to the old one or just remove the ugly belt.

There are more items but this is what I’ve used recently that need changes. Share your opinons/comments.

UT buffs - Hot Takes Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

Spirit dagger doesn’t really need a buff, better dps than foul and I get one every 20 Davy’s or so

Are you sure about that?

I wouldn’t be completely opposed to embracing most of the changes if they were to happen, but I don’t know about the DBlade, CBow, or Staff of Esben.

I say buff Ray’s RoF to 110% and give Armor Piercing.

I say a passive buff to CC itself. From -10 Dex to -4 Dex.

You sure about that?

Yes

I say buff Ray’s RoF to 110% and give Armor Piercing.

Why not, but still don’t think it’s worth it. Good reason to give a dungeon that doesn’t have a white drop one and to get a new UT that would be worth it as an event white.

I say a passive buff to CC itself. From -10 Dex to -4 Dex.

Wouldn’t that make CC really OP then? Maybe instead of any damage you have it trigger at a certain damage number? I just don’t have the time to average out all the damage from realm bosses and monsters to get a nice general number for a minimal requirement. I use resu on a knight and if I’m playing good the debuff doesn’t proc all that often and that armor is far more niche but useful than CC. I only use CC during UPE melees but I see a lot of new players use it. Maybe do you think lower the debuff and cooldown? or just add a minimum damage trigger instead.

I would go for: Reactive Proc: When IC: -10 Dex for 4 seconds.

Dblade, Cbow, and Spirit Dagger aren’t in need of reworks - they perform just fine. Some good ideas here, though.

I don’t think Esben Staff should have a buff in damage, piercing weapons shouldn’t be for damage, but as a backup weapon, Cult Staff has it’s own niche of shooting backwards.

I think they should just reduce the Amplitude ( duh ) and make it a normal piercing staff because there’s none of that, all the piercing staves have dropacts. Like I said, make it like a normal tiered staff shot pattern but with less damage.

Or my own idea

Esben Staff

1 shot, 85 - 125 damage

120% Rate of Fire

Amplitude 0.25

Frequency 0.2

Range stays the same.

Well thought out improvements, but to classify them as “useless” and in need of improvement is simply wrong. I have used all of them at some point, most of them as a main item so not a swapout.

They are distinguished by being underpowered yes, but when you first get them you might be underpowered. I.e. you might not have a good pet, so appreciate the extra range on Ray Katana, DEF on Candy Coated Armor, DEF bonus on Kageboshi. Spirit Dagger is a straight upgrade from tiered, and often the first good UT you get. Coral Bow is similarly an upgrade from tiered and useful for e.g. clearing even when you have a good single shot bow like Leaf or Doom bow.

It’s not really a buff more of an adjustment that makes it “feel” more ghosty

CBow is good I agree, I just thought seeing the Doku buff there could be a good implementation for another weapon and CBow just made a lot of sense to me.

Spirit Dagger is also not really necessary and the idea came from using chipper and seeing that it could translate well to the spirit dagger. Here’s a mock up of it if you don’t want to recreate it yourself.

DBlade though I gotta say I rarely see it used nowadays. There are just so much better swords and it’s a shame to see the first white I ever got 7 years ago in it’s current state. Again if you don’t want to try it yourself a quick clip. It’s not drastic but I will argue it is more useful this way.

Thank you for your input though.

Not sure if you actually read anything I posted or I just wasn’t clear enough.

I was just using the term ‘useless’ as what players usually classify these items as. I do think they’re all good and can be used as main items to players that understand the game. I just think making these adjustments will make them have a better use other than feed, forge, or “this is the only item I have currently so I’m going to just use it until I get something better”(convenience).

CBow and Spirit Dagger changes aren’t necessary I just think will aide with the items conceptually.

CC I think just punishes you too hard to use it. It still essentially keeps it’s negative effect just in a more sensible way. The extra DEF will keep you out of IC by a margin but will punish you for taking too much damage by having it’s current effect. I think it’s a net positive in theory basically minimizing it’s current punishment. Instead of losing DPS all the time you’re only losing it if you’re in combat which is a higher number regardless due to the high DEF you’re getting from the armor.

Ray Katana is good like I said I don’t think the items stats have to be changed. It’s longer range for a sacrifice of DPS, I just don’t think it deserves to be a realm event white. So just move it as a dungeon white and give us a actual nice event white (like a UT waki that has the sheath concept).

Kageboshi just straight up sucks in it’s current state. I agree the stat bonus are nice but if you’re going to actually use your ability it’s better to swap it. The change is one I feel most everyone has either mentioned or agreed on. The damage (if all 3 shots hit) is comparable to a T6 DCirc and it allows you to clear out enemies. Again this is a realm event white shouldn’t it be rewarding to use it’s ability?

DBlade is just mainly used as a swap out to bust chests and isn’t good for clearing out enemies. Changing the shot pattern I think will allow you to atleast come in and do damage and keep the wide range. Here is what it would look like.

I think it’s hard for a lot of people to see text and numbers and translate how it would work in game so I hope this cleared some things up for you.

That CC buff is actually amazing! It makes perfect sense for it. The higher DEF makes it harder for you to be pushed IC, and when you are you get the drawback from using it. I love it!

The proposed coral bow buff is broken. 2 second AOE paralyze with a 3 second cooldown. Over 50% uptime of paralyze, just from shooting a bow. Giving it a higher cooldown would just make it clunky. Not a good idea IMO.

I think that in order to have good items we must also have bad items or at least items that are relatively worse on the spectrum of usefulness. I don’t really think that buffs would be a good idea because these items need to exist for there to be a sort of progression in terms of loot. For example, the crystal sword is awful but early game but it has its uses and its existence is what enables us to label better swords as, well, better. It’s the exact same case with the Ray Katana. It is a common item that drops from a once-per-realm encounter that focuses on cutting down damage to boost range. It is quite literally the csword of katanas and that’s okay. If we were to buff every lackluster UT into relevance, they would not match the difficulty of obtaining them.

I think this is often overlooked; yes, the loot from godlands dungeons isn’t as relevant as it was, but that’s fine; it serves as gear for players who are running these dungeons specifically to max their first characters and to get these items. Sure, Demon Blade isn’t what it once was, but it is no longer meant to cater to endgame players. It’s now for the godlands farming crew, who might want a little extra dps to make the Stheno fight go quicker. It’s still a powerful item to these guys, and imo is fine where it is.

This isn’t to say I disagree with all of the proposed changes (I’d really like to see Kageboshi in particular get more love), but that’s just my thoughts.

True, but the title of this thread is solutions to useless items

In terms of DPS, Dblade is still an absolute unit. It was never meant to be “useable” it was meant to have you sit on things. If you are brave, dblade will give you better dps than pixie. divinity, chipper, etc. Of course a few pixels back and you don’t do as much damage, but the idea is thill there.

Almost like I was using the title to bait people into clicking on my post :woozy_face:

Thanks man you get the idea. You’re also right about the CBow, more or less a shorter paralyze would be better. I just would really like to see more variability with UTs.