Lore of Rotmg

Ascended chamber isn’t even finished yet, so how am I suppose to know what it’s all about.

As for everything else, name one thing that doesn’t fit.

All monsters are the result of the battle between Oryx and Void entity, so this explains every dungeon related to natural creatures that were corrupted
Ex. Spider den, nest

Lords, Kings, and whatever with a title fit into the are of the flickering flame, when there were power grabs and empires and kingdoms rose and fell.
Ex. Shatts forgotten king, Lord of the Lost lands, Tomb Gods

Everything else fits in between

Besides I said this isn’t final or anything. I can easily modify it if something changes.

Shiiiitttttt. I’d watch it. LoL.

EASILY the best piece of reading I’ve done here on Realmeye!!! 10/10!!!

… why?

I am flattered that some of the lore I wrote up has inspired this timeline, but I do not agree with it.
I personally think it is restrictive to compartmentalise everything so rigidly - that is why the lore I tried to write was purposefully vague. It is not clear what the Beyond actually is, or where, just that its feudal houses fight for dominion over the realm. I also constructed the Beyond nearly a decade ago and so my lore writing was extremely juvenile.

Likewise Oryx’s Paracosm is set entirely in Oryx’s mind. All of the stuff about him being an Arcadian shepherd boy superficially deepens his character, but is purposefully designed to be of dubious veracity - did he imagine it? Is he deceiving you with an illusion of his past? Is Oryx the shepherd or the child, or both? Its deliberately unclear if anything in that dungeon actually even exists.

The reason I made my lore so ambiguous is because I do not think realm is a game built for lore.
I do think it sometimes helps to add a bit of mystery, gravitas or personality to very commited consumers, and it certainly helps me imagine things for my dungeons, but ultimately the game is a crunchy pixel rogue-lite where there are sheep and you pew pew things and its charming and fun and lighthearted. Sometimes I feel like an epic and all-encompassing canon of lore would lose sight of that.

But if the game has inspired you to such heights of imagination then it has obviously succeeded somewhere and I wish you the best of luck with it! c:

In my opinion, it’s not very restrictive. I’ve set up broad time periods and pretty vague periods too. It’s simply a record of the amalgamation of ideas that’s Rotmg players has to offer. My plot is simply to inject uniformity to the mess of dungeons that is right now and make a connection between them. And as I’ve said before, this is subject to suggestions or changes.

Plus this is only about the past of rotmg. Someone can easily make a dungeon something that happens after (such as lost halls, which is one of the major dungeons outside of this timeline).

As for the fact that lore might not suit rotmg, Id agree with that. The average player probably has no desire to learn about the already existing lore. My goal was to make this primarily as an index for people who design items or dungeons.

I admire your cause and I think lots of people would benefit from such a framework to guide their ideas.

I would just personally feel constricted if I had to situate a creation perfectly in some sort of infinitely dense tapestry of interconnected stories, taking care not to destabilise any of them.

I’ve made a few dungeons in my time and they don’t link at all, if they did I cannot help but suspect that the pedantic need for continuity would diminish the quality of each individual product. But I have linked my dungeons to the indisputable fabric of the game (through its figurehead Oryx) so that people can emotionally involve themselves.

Of course this is my personal perception and I’m certain it does not accord with everyone, although the aforesaid approach does seem to work just as fine as yours would!

when they can get money other than the misery box :joy: :joy: :joy:

The Obsidian Summit, Stone Caves of Nores, Elemental Rift, several dungeons by Sturky which I am aware of the existence (but not names) of, and even all of the Lost Halls besides the void seem to also be missing.

Um, yes it is. You should read through the first half in detail if you don’t understand.

However, I’m hoping to revamp it later though as a 2.0 version.
Besides that, the lore is finished, but not the dungeon functions. I don’t see how the unfinished functions of a dungeons stops you from transferring the lore - even partially - from that to this?

Besides, I’m not saying that this is bad at all. You’ve done a great job, I’m just seeing a few dungeons missing and a vague story behind them all (and I can see why).

Can you send me the links to those? I probably forgot some player made dungeons.

Actually considering your dungeon is O3, it makes sense that it isn’t in my lore because it takes place after this timeline.

Edit: @Sturkyused if you’d like to add yours, since I don’t recall the names, that would be appreciated

NNNINJAAA’D storky.

The dungeons which I’ve finished don’t really have much to them lore wise, so I didn’t see much of a reason to include them, but I guess Candyshi thought otherwise.

Could have at least included The Hidden Laboratory Candy, like come on…

However, my future projects have a bit more to them lore wise, and once we start to get to my endgame dungeon ideas, the lore gets a bit crazy. As much as i’d love to make an enormous text wall about it all, there’s multiple reasons that I wont.
1: I’d rather give the lore out with the rest of the dungeon.
2: None of the dungeons have even begun development yet.
3: The lore isn’t complete on some of the dungeons yet.

I forgot about that one… it was too hidden…

No.

no u?
yes u.

If you ever want to add all this lore somewhere…

Fan Lore

There is a section for it on the wiki

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.