The Stone Caves of Nores: another dungeon by Xaklor

I’ve mentioned this several times in other threads offhand, but IT’S FINALLY DONE!
My last dungeon, The Nameless Void, was based on The Shatters. This time around I’ve chosen a different “role model”, the Tomb of the Ancients. However, this is far more loosely related to tombs than the void was to shatters. the Stone Caves of Nores has somewhat evolved in it’s own direction, and not to any dismay either.

I present to you, The Stone Caves of Nores!

a minor disclaimer: after naming Ancient Spell: Conflagration and the Scepter of Judgement, I took a peek at @dappertron 's “dapper ideas and classy classes” thread and to my dismay, found the names i had chosen in use by someone else already! While I have no intention of changing the names, I would like to make it clear that I did not steal them.

Some feedback Questions!

1. Did you like this or the Nameless Void better?
  2. Should there be a “secret” version of Tlan Khosst the Metal Wraith that uses all 3 forms of magic, or is the dungeon complex enough?
  3. Are the enemies too powerful or just right? (While some of them are Shatters-level, only one Seal must be destroyed, so fewer enemies have to be fought in the first place)
  4. Anything else you think needs pointing out?

Ninja St Set
Ancient Spell: Contradict
Redcloak Templar, a Paladin skin by Xaklor
The Arsonist's Curse (Wizard Spell UT Draft Idea)
How do you feel about the Sorc?
Dungeon Idea: Infernal Tophet (WIP)
Various item ideas, by Xaklor [updated with 2 new UT's]
New Dungeon
New UT Katana: BurnShard Katana
If you could customize your own Weapon in RotMG: Here's Mine
Are you addicted to the RealmEye Forum?
Ancient Spell: Flood
Shadowbot, a 4th skin by Xaklor
The Stone Caves of Nores 2: a Dungeon by Xaklor
How Can I create dungeon maps?

Pretty cool dungeon! I like the integration of elements into this dungeon, although I didn’t expect there to be machines as enemies.

+1

some of the shading on the sprites irk me tho

Nice idea, just going to go over the UTs.

Amulet of Fortitude: Awesome. Just… just awesome.

Stoneskin Armor: Pretty good, almost… too good. Personally i’d bump it down by 1 def.

Ancient Spell: Conflagration: Wear Ring Pop, don’t max MP, do a crap ton of damage per spell constantly. Seems like people with better pets would use this more often than people with crappy pets.

The Stone Star: Ginormous slap in the face to Rogue.

Galvanic Helm: … such mixed feelings. If you don’t have a decent pet, it’s worthless. If you do, the ratio of time being buffed to time not being buffed is worse, yet the ability does more damage. I mean, it’s balanced, but is it worth putting in a new helm and have it have the smallest little niche?

Scepter of Judgement: 10/10, the Sorcerer needs something like this.

Nores Alloy: Love the idea. Although i doubt it can be balanced. I’d love to do fun stuff with this though, like having an extremely tanky Trickster that moves by teleporting…

Lvl 12 FACEPALM!!
I posted this without filling in two of the blanks in the doc, the amplitude and frequency of the lightning spirals from the lightning wraith. That has been fixed now.

As for some of your feedback:

I disagree somewhat, because it has the duration of a very low tier cloak (T2 i believe) and has the MP cost of plane. I wouldn’t call plane a ginormous slap in the face to trickster, just saying.

HELL YES. UTs are supposed to be sidegrades, goddammit. I’m not gonna do anything that will take away from tiered helms.

why… would you equip… ring pop… so… umm… well stupid. you sacrifice potentially everything useful in a good ring by equipping it. all you really get out of it is spd…

Go for the fix if you want. Can’t promise I’ll use any of it, since art is completely subjective, but I won’t stop you.

Lower maximum MP would be beneficial for the spell, as you’d have to heal less to get full power out of your spell.

you realize it decreases by the same amount after each cast right? that number is based on the mp cost, not your max mp.

What tags are these sprites under?

“stone caves of nores” exactly like that.

Did the Umber Cobra so far

Also, isn’t umber brown?
Hope you like :smiley:

Excuse my autism.

Various points:
a) the rings ability needs a cooldown
b)regarding the nore of alloy: I’m pretty sure that +1att and -1dex is gonna decrease ones dps

Very nice otherwise, the “Oryx isnt as bad at HR as you may think” part almost made me laugh.

Ancient Spell: Conflagration

MP Cost: 80

Shots: 20

Damage: (current MP/max MP)x200

• This is very pet friendly. If used at max mp this gives a divine pet user ~2500 dps and an uncommon pet user ~360 dps.

• Having the damage depend on the % of mp left is a new mechanic. It may be difficult to add, only deca are qualified to say.

Fixing the damage at 200 and giving it a 3 second cooldown time should fix both these issues.

Nice idea, like the monster ideas. I fell like a small group of knights would absolutely demolish this whole dungeon, as regular monsters are stun immune.

Small typo at Clockwork Golem MKII: Lifetime 10s, ParametricPiecing in your table cell, word ‘piercing’. Ya I know it’s minor but it’s an easy fix.

Amulet of fortitude is a bit overpowered don’t you think, 3 drop chances, no cooldown on healing buff? But then again, who likes paladin anyways.

Stoneskin armour is a good idea, liked the explanation.

Nore’s alloy is jokes but I’d like to see the uses in game on an actual character with like a CC + 90 lol

Extremely well made idea! I can’t really point out exact things about this what I like, because it’s all around good and pointing out single things would dishonor the rest of the things here. If I had to say, the boss concept is pretty awesome with the seals and that Minitank is the cutest thing ever :3. Good job :wink: Also, we all love secrets, so if you think that the secret boss version can be added in a reasonable way, then go on ahead if you feel comfortable doing it.

Also now I know what you meant back then, kinda awkward moment, I must say :3 Anyways, you’ve made awesome dungeon, well done! (This is more of an personal thing, this after-comment. So this might sound confusing for any random person, sorry about that)

yes, but snakes are colorblind, so how would he know? :wink:[quote=“NamedForSB, post:12, topic:1359”]
This is very pet friendly. If used at max mp this gives a divine pet user ~2500 dps and an uncommon pet user ~360 dps
[/quote]

a similar argument could be made for almost every other single attacking ability in the whole game. everyone knows that pets are OP, i feel like this is a somewhat irrelevant argument

This isn’t bad, but in my opinion the sprites (in particular) need work.
And if you intend to consider suggested sprites, please be aware of the pitfalls of clashing styles - it’s all or nothing, if you get my drift ;3

I love the scepter, but my small and inherently suspicious mind struggles with the fact that two UTs have more or less the same names as Dapper’s. I’m not accusing you of plagarism, but if I were you I’d seriously think about changing the names for courtesy’s sake (and just to reduce confusion). It wouldn’t be hard, and I’m sure there are more original names out there anyway.

Ancient Spell: Effulgence
Scroll of the Magmatic Tides
Chant of the Golem Legion

Agonarch Scepter
Rod of the Cairn-Dweller
Scepter of Rending Harrows
etc.

These aren’t ‘better’ and you don’t have to use them; they’re just random alternatives that popped into my head ;p

If it’s any consolation, I really don’t mind whether or not the name was stolen/inspired/what have you. I made an awful lot of sprites, it’s certain that something would match up by sheer happenstance sooner or later. Puffagod offered some fantastic names though, and I’d take him up on that.

The dungeon itself is great, and I’m impressed with the level of detail. Many of the sprites are finely drawn as well, with the exception of The Thing in the Shadows, which looks quite amateurish next to the Metal Wraiths. The Umber Cobra might also need a redraw; dark shading should really just be a single darker color, since it looks a bit messy with all of that scaly detail.

It’s a tremendous effort overall!

The T6 spell gives a divine pet user 1500 dps. For the wizard this is 60% more dps.

This new spell gives them 2500 dps. For the wizard this is 100% more dps.

As a class’s dps becomes more dependent on their ability, strong mp heal pets will become more relevant.

everyone says it’s the sprites. everyone says it’s the sprites. WHICH sprites please? I’d love to take another shot at it, but the only ones mentioned are the Thing in the Shadows and the Umber Cobra. I can try the Umber Cobra again, or modify piggby’s version to have animations or fit with my style, I get that one.

Unfortunately for the Thing in the Shadows, it’s sprite has a more functional purpose, the almost complete lack of shading is 100% deliberate, the point is to make it invisible when it stands on or near pits. That’s what makes it so dangerous. Not really sure what I can do about that. :confused:

As for the names, I may change the scepter’s name at some point. I’m pretty good at finding names for things when i really try, but I do have my heart set on Ancient Spell: Conflagration :heart:

My problem with Shadows McThingg is not at all the lack of shading, far from it. It’s the fact that there’s no real movement in its swinging animation. The only thing that moves is the forearm and sword, and that makes it look quite odd in motion, especially with the dramatic smear frame. The size of the eyes in comparison with each other is also quite distracting.

When I get the time, would you mind if I sprite an animation set?

And Ancient Spell: Conflagration is a nice name, no doubt about that. I’d suggest Ancient Spell: Inferno or Purgation, but that’s not really my business.