UT Abilities for Early/Mid Game

Hello it is me again with (hopefully) the final version of my UT ability proposal.
I wanted to restate the same premise that UTs are mostly situational items that can change up the playstyle of certain classes. White bags often contain rare items and are usually the best in slot for general use. While cyan bag drop more common items and are not meant to be best in slot, often being replaced later on.

As stated in my last post:

Currently there are a ton of white bags (which are all UTs) in the game: 228 including vanities and reskins. Most of these drops are excellent swap-out items in certain situations or even best in slot.
However, there are only 78 cyan bag UTs; 33 of which are exclusive UTs (items that aren’t reskins). Almost all of these items are weak items (in terms of upgrades found later) with a few being usable as swap outs. Most items also have a “better” counterpart that can be found in the late game.

These are the current available cyan UT abilities in game and my opinions of each:

Archer
A very nice early access to paralyze. It fits thematically with the dungeon and pairs well with the bow that drops alongside it.
Quickly replaced once T3 is received. Not viable in late game.

Knight
Essentially a better T4 shield with the tradeoff of 1 DEF for 3 SPD. Slightly more MP for more damage as well.
A really good item to have as a swap out for some extra speed.

Mystic
An orb that provides slow. I personally think the stasis is annoying and would prefer curse and slow instead. It’s not bad but an easy item to get and provides some variability.
Not generally a swap out but useful in some instances (which makes it a decent UT).

Necromancer
A classic UT and possibly the first many players get, it just provides a larger area of heal. It’s quickly replaced by tiered items later on but that’s fine with how early and easily it’s obtained and it has an upgraded version found later on.
A really good item to convey the premise of UTs but not good to keep on you in late game.

Ninja
A very beginner friendly UT that allows a lower MP drain when holding down the ability. This allows players with weak MP heal pets to rush. It also provides accessibility for ninja to have a Slow debuff. I just believe it should provide some bonus stats.
Useful to keep around depending on your circumstances.

Paladin
One of my favorite UTs. It’s very easily accessible and provides a buff that can be used even in late game. If there are multiple paladins in a group at least one should be using this item to provide a buff. The bonus stats are also pretty nice.
Excellent swap out, most pallies should carry one.

Samurai
An often overlooked UT that is pretty easily accessible. It provides a 6 second slow which is the 2nd longest in the game. Gives decent bonus stats but weak damage comparable to T3.
A very nice swap out to have on you.

Sorcerer
An early game item that gives more targets per ability use. It’s direct upgrade is a vanity item but still decent to use.
Not very useful in late game.

Warrior
A UT helm that does not provide speedy on use. It’s very useful when micrododging but wanting to keep up berserk.
A nice item that can help out new players who aren’t used to the speed increase but also a useful item in later game if one doesn’t have a bee helm or a Jugg.

As you can see most if not all items are situational but have variability in use. A lot of them can be kept as swapouts for later in the game. As such the drop locations are meant to be accessible areas for all players, especially new ones who are just exploring the game.

I believe there to at least be an easily accessible ability for every class.
With that in mind here are my suggestions for UT items for the remaining classes without them I believe would have similar viability and make great additions to the game.
I have made various changes since my previous presentation with more balanced options. There really hasn’t been any new additions since the last reconstruction but hopefully these can be implemented by the future realm rework.

Please reply your thoughts and opinions below.

TL/DR: New UT ability suggestions for early/mid game with the possibility of some viability in end game as swap outs.

Fae Emanation Spell

faespell-png-194740 Projectile sprite:

“A spell that uses the power of forest spirits to eviscerate corrupted beings.”

Tier UT Spell
MP Cost: 55
Shots: 10 (36°)
Burst: 2
Damage: 55-155 (105)
Total Damage: 1100-3100 (2100)
Projectile Speed: 135
Amplitude: 0.5
Frequency: 1.5
Lifetime: 700
Special Effect(s): Releases a second spell bomb 0.25 seconds after ability use at 45° rotation
On Equip: +20 MP, +2 DEX
XP Bonus: 3%
Feed Power: 360
Dismantling Value: 5 Rare Material / 20 Common Material
Drop Location: Greater Fairies

Mock up of how the spell would work (ignore character):

Spells are very simple in design but very effective; use ability directly on target to do damage. There are some very creative shot patterns in spells but most UT spells are found much later on. Without making a too complex ability I think this would be perfect to find “earlier” in the game. This would be the first UT spell to give DEX as a stat bonus which is nice for DPS and a small mana boost to raise your mana cap. This spell is essentially a regular spell bomb split into 2 phases; one activating immediately and the next happening after a delay. If all shots land it would be decent damage on average. The downside of this UT is the difficulty in hitting mobile targets since it relies on both bursts to land for full damage potential. Though the shot pattern and speed lingers longer than the average spell to potentially allow enemies to run into stray shots. Thematically I think this fits into magic woods very well and provides a benefit to actually clear out the dungeon instead of just rushing like people typically do.

Sinister Snare

sinistersnare-png-194525 Throwing projectile:

“A devastating trap that causes immense agony to those unlucky enough to fall victim to it.”

Tier UT Trap
MP Cost: 80
Effect(s): Grey Down Arrow Exposed on enemy for 2.5 seconds
Flight Time: 0.8 second(s)
Damage: 280
Duration: 15 seconds
Explosion Radius: 5 tiles
On Equip: +1 ATT, +3 DEX
XP Bonus: 5%
Feed Power: 480
Drop Location: Septavius the Ghost God

I think having other classes be able to use debuffs is a benefit to the game as a whole. I feel giving Huntress an ability with Expose effect is very fitting. It’s not instantaneous like how fast waki shots are but it can provide placement for set up traps.The expose time is also a duration samurai does not provide (between a T4/5 waki). It gives a decent bonus of +4 DPS stats and is comparable around T4/5 traps damage wise. Same flight time as poisons to have the trap deploy quicker since it has a shorter lifetime.

Additionally, giving UDL another item would be nice, especially something to compliment the Doom Bow (design wise). It also makes a nice available swap out to keep even for endgame.

Malfunctioning Apparatus

malapp-png-195003

“A device created by Dr Terrible to power his experiments. It was damaged when retrieving and may be unstable.”

Tier UT Prism
MP Cost: 80
On Ability Use: Teleport to cursor, Spawn decoy at cursor position
Decoy Behavior: Decoy stationary for 2 seconds and teleports 3 tiles in a random direction
Decoy Effects: Decoy teleports 4 times
Decoy Duration: 8 seconds
On Equip: +20 MP, +2 DEF, +2 SPD
XP Bonus: 4%
Feed Power: 450
Drop Location: Enforcer Bot 3000 and Dr Terrible

Instead of leaving a decoy from where you teleport this spawns a decoy where you teleport to. The decoy itself has an interesting behavior moving from its initial position during its duration. This can be helpful possibly in some cases to shift enemies around but due to the unpredictability can be unreliable. It’s comparable to a T4 prism in MP cost and a T5 prism in decoy duration. Just adding to the trickster arsenal and giving MLab an additional item.

Cajoling Hymn

calhymn-png-195112

“Lost scripture of a forgotten sect, reading the text out loud causes others to hum in cadence.”

Tier UT Tome
MP Cost: 55 MP/second
Effect(s) While Key Held: Red Down Arrow Slowed and Red Cross Healing on self while ability held
Party Heal: Heal Amount: 70 (130 @ 75 WIS) per second
Disables all MP recovery
Range: 4 tiles (6 tiles @ 75 WIS)
Max Targets: 15
On Equip: +30 HP
XP Bonus: 3%
Feed Power: 300
Dismantling Value: 15 Common Material
Drop Location: Queen Bee

An idea as a hold to use healing item, that scales with wis mod to still possibly be useful in the later game. It’s heal is slightly better than T1 tome but less MP cost than T0. Like some other tomes it does not grant healing effect to others only to yourself (this is to not be confused with party heal). It essentially makes you a single moving mushroom from the fungal tome.
But unlike fungal tome which can spawn ~4 mushrooms (per average total max mana), you are the only source of healing. My proposal also doesn’t have a heal reduction (though this may be OP) but has a max target with 15. When using, slowed on self and disabled mana regen (like crystal shield) to prevent using this to rush with groups.

Confectionery Cloak

conclaok-png-195212

“An enchanted cloak found in the woodlands of the candy kingdom. It’s extremely durable but also tasty.”

Tier UT Cloak
MP Cost: 60
On Ability Use: Invisible on self: 2 seconds, Green Up Arrow Speedy on self: 2 seconds
Effects: Red Down Arrow Slowed on enemy for 2.5 seconds
Range: 3.5 tiles
Cooldown: 3 seconds
On Equip: +3 DEX, +3 SPD, -5 WIS
Feed Power: 500
Drop Location: Gumball Machine and Cupcake

A cloak that would allow the player to escape sticky situations; slowing enemies in a small radius and giving you a quick speedy and invisibility. It has a very short invisible and speedy but that just allows for the ability to be spammed. Possibly OP for rushing?

Latrodectus Serum

Throwing projectile:

“A poison that contains the deadly venom of Arachna.”

Tier UT Poison
MP Cost: 60 (10 damage/MP)
Effect(s): Throws 2 poisons (arc gap: 15°) on ability use
Explosion Radius: 1.75 tiles
Damage Over Time: 200 (55.56 damage/sec)
Duration: 3.6 seconds
Damage On Impact: 100
Flight Time: 0.8 seconds
XP Bonus: 1%
Feed Power: 150
Dismantling Value: 15 Common Material
Drop Location: Arachna the Spider Queen

An early game poison with low MP cost and decent damage if both poisons manage to land. It has an effective range for about ~13 tiles for both poisons to hit a target. It actually has a high damage per mana. Not sure what the assassin rework will be like so I will just leave it as is but this would make a very good early DPS poison.

Songspire Oud

songoad-png-195437

“An enchanted lute that can cast spells when certain notes are played.”

Tier UT Lute
MP Cost: 90
On Ability Use: Sets an explosion radius around player
Party effect: Inspired Icon Inspired on self and allies for 4 seconds
Inspired Radius: 4 tiles
Explosion Effect(s): Red Down Arrow Slowed on enemies for 5 seconds
Trigger Radius: 3 tiles
Explosion Radius: 6 tiles
Lifetime: 20 seconds
Explosion Damage: 200
On Equip: +4 DEF, +2 WIS
Feed Power: 475
Drop Location: Large Ghost (Buffed) or Troll Matriarch

A lute that provides accessibility for bard to have slow other than War Horn. It does not provide a temporary DEF boost but it does lay down a trap where the user stands while still providing inspired buff. A pretty self explanatory item that could be a decent swap out. Drop location preferably so killing buffed ghost king enemies isn’t a waste of time, but if DECA decides to change the realm and rework ghost king fight I think having it drop from the first boss in Cem is reasonable.

Caerbannog Chalice

caerchalice-png-195537 Summons: image

“A ceremonial item found inside a deadly beast’s lair. It is said to grant eternal youth and immense power.”

Tier UT Mace
MP Cost: 65
Summons: A furious rabbit that charges toward the enemy (cannot control summons)
Effect(s): Passes cover Shots hit multiple targets Passes cover Shots pass through obstacles
Shots: 2
Amplitude: 0.5 tile(s)
Frequency: 2 cycle(s)/shot
Damage: 45-135 (90)
Total Damage: 90-270 (180)
Lifetime: 8.8 seconds
Range: 5 tiles
On Equip: +1 ATT, +1 DEF, +1 DEX, +1 SPD, +1 WIS, +1 VIT
Feed Power: 550
Drop Location: Golden Oryx Effigy and/or Abyss Idol

A mace where you cannot control the summons but instead they run up to the enemy to do 3 hits and run away (or towards the next enemy). If multiple enemies are around the summon will run around to each attacking, if one enemy it will run back to the player. Constantly moving with almost double the speed as regular summons. Decent damage almost comparable to a T5. Provides +1 to every stat similar to Amulet of Dispersion (to see my rework proposal and other UTs click here). Drop location preferably in a cave and giving TCave a cyan would be nice.

Thunder Flash Sheath

thunflash-png-195656 Projectile Sprite:
(I know it’s the penetrating blast projectiles but I think it’s a really nice thunderbolt sprite)

“A menacing looking sheath of unknown origin. It seems to be imbued with some form of dynamic energy.”

Tier UT Sheath
MP Cost: 75
Effects: Piercing\ 13x13 Shots hit multiple targets
Special Effect(s): Trail Paralyzed Icon Paralyzes enemies for 3 seconds
Shots: 2 on ability use, 2 shots on return (arc gap: 4°)
Projectile Speed: 18 tile(s)/second
Lifetime: 0.5 second(s)
Range: 8 tiles
Damage: 300-600
Stat Multiplier: 6/10/15/21/28% ATT↑ ATT boost (Each stack lasts 10 seconds)
Channeling: (Half the time of normal)
Dashes: 1 (Boomerangs back to position)
Dash Distance: 7 tile(s)
Cooldown: 1.5 seconds
On Equip: +3 DEF, +3 DEX
Feed Power: 725
Drop Location: Kage Kami

Not entirely sure if this is possible to make. Essentially it is a quick boomeranging dash with a fixed dash distance. It has only one dash per charge but has a very fast channeling and short cooldown. Also the trail paralyzes enemies. I think this can have some really interesting and situational viability. The drop location I’m really unsure of but wanted to make it available in some way. Hopefully with a realm rework we’ll have more available enemies.

First I’d just like to say it’s been a while since I’ve been on the forums and I must say I’m excited to see your ideas again on my return :smiley:.

Your premise is spot on and at least at one point looked like a perspective Deca was very much interested in.

Spell: Awesome idea that I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen in the game yet :sweat_smile:. Solid damage/mp and compliments spirit staff pretty well in the ‘almost as good as wc tops but drops off in late-game utility’ category. Maybe buff the damage a little bit, especially since it also scales more negatively with def compared to other spells?

Trap: I absolutely agree other classes should have access to as useful of a debuff as expose (hell trick isn’t even the only class with a decent decoy now with the Davy sheath) and huntress is definitely an appropriate candidate. And I do love how the sprite would pair with Dbow, even if thematically they don’t work together at all if this were to be a little themed set :sweat_smile:.

Prism: Conceptually I love it but not as big of a fan of this one overall. I feel like it’s trying to fill a weird niche between t0 and spirit prism where you’re primarily using it for the teleport, but like t0 it does happen to leave behind a decoy to potentially keep enemies from chasing you? I think if you lower the mp cost to somewhere in that range (60-70) it allows late-game players to embrace that functionality whilst still keeping it’s janky charm for those newer to the game. It just seems a bit confusing for a newer player to use well and not useful enough for a more seasoned player to really consider it.

Tome: I recall seeing a couple on hold tome ideas previously (not from you I don’t think). This one is by far the most balanced. Maybe just change the targets to 10 so you are truly a little moving fungal :innocent: ?

Cloak: Lovely little guy. I enjoy the shout-out to candy ring with the -wis. Only 2/3 uptime on invisibility, which is worse than even t0 so I’m not concerned about it being op. If anything it makes Rogue more viable as a fast rusher (instead of merely one of the safest as he has been relegated to for a while). Even when rushing you would probably keep a plane handy for that ever-so-valuable teleport (which is still feasible to swap into with such a low cd).

Poison: Cute and agreed- kinda want to see what they’re doing with assassin here

Lute: I honestly forget that war horn slows since I’m using it for the berserk 90% of the time. Having a lute dedicated to slowing and giving a trap-like functionality to another class is cool! I don’t know that it even needs to do damage, honestly. And giving those damn ghosts some sort of drop is an absolute necessity.

Mace: Adorable, not OP, unique behavior, and a very welcome drop location (effigy I’d say). Yes please.

Sheath: So I think I like it, but I am a little confused by it. So immediately after dashing you are involuntarily dashed back to your starting position? I assume there’s no invincibility until after the return? If you get invincibility after the first half before you are dashed back, especially if it’s very fast, it might be a little op? And does the trail paralyze both ways with no damage?
But in theory I love paralysis on the trail of a long dash… very much embodies how I started using trick and rogue once I got a good electric pet :sweat_smile:. So this is a great functionality for people (mostly newer players) without electric on their pets.

I always appreciate seeing your replies to posts :grin:
I feel like you take time to read and think about the ideas so your feedback is great.

To clear up with the prism I was thinking it was a more decoy focused ability where you can place it where you “land” from teleporting and then the decoy moves around (by mimicking small teleports). But I’m not sure how practical it actually could be, just like an alternative way playstyle with a sustainable decoy.

Then with the sheath I was thinking it would be a long dash while invincible the whole time but the tradeoff would be one dash instead of 3 and you would return back to your original spot (which isn’t always practical). I also think it would leave trails and shots twice. It seems like a lot of damage and OP but I was considering how much total damage 3 dashes would do which is often more total damage.

Sorry I was not fully clear with those. There are also other possible issues with the other items but you already also pointed most of them out. Thanks for your reply!

For the sheath, it could be like Yone from League of Legends–tethers you to one spot and dashes you, and after a few seconds or a second activation it takes you back there, maybe paralyze enemies with the return dash. Might be useful, probably not OP though.

I took the Poison and Cloak and added them to a dungeon concept I made (along with a early game UT heavy armor). Check it out here I’d love to know your thoughts :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.